Scratch build TailSpin Sea Duck

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
where r the plans please

Hopefully coming "soon"

Tonight is the first I've had a chance to work on this plane in a long time, been busy with motorcycle racing and my Mini Versa wing project.

I rebuilt the fuselage, I peeled off the outer paper and plan to wrap this one in Peter's waterproofing method...more to come on that.

IMG_20150624_194017_zpswiazuqfh.jpg

I also got some wing pylons built up. I added two BBQ skewers to each pylon to try to give them more rigidity. I drilled holes into the wing spar and and extended the skewers from the pylons into the wing.

IMG_20150624_205208480_zps6jbe3ylu.jpg

I then sandwiched 3 layers of DTFB around them.

IMG_20150624_205145132_HDR_zpsxnrftwj3.jpg

IMG_20150624_205436727_zps26zphjcw.jpg

I then did a quick pontoon design idea in SketchUp and cut it out, not sure if I will keep this design or improve it.

IMG_20150624_222643419_HDR_zps9tkzsjsw.jpg

Not sure when I will get time to finish the two pontoons and to wrap the fuselage and pontoons, hopefully more coming soon.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I finished covering the haul and pontoons Saturday, and thanks to the heavy thunderstorms we had come through that night I had a nice big puddle in the backyard. I installed 2x 1300mAh 3s batteries and got good CG on the wing, about the same CG as the Mini Guinea has worked well so far. I then took the plane to the big puddle and started to lower it into the water, this quickly showed that the floating CG is much much further aft and the tail was about in the water. I will need to redesign the wing pontoons to extend further aft to try to keep the tail out of the water. Not sure if I will get to it before the holiday weekend.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Project on hold

IMG_20150629_164352731_zpspdf7l5hq.jpg

I tried flying the Sea Duck yesterday. I was able to get a take off from the grass (video may be added later), but once in the air I noticed a decent amount of left wing down roll. It wasn't anything I couldn't manage with the stick, but after a quick circle of the field I decided to land and try to trim out he ailerons a bit. Unfortunately on "landing" the left pontoon/pylon hit the grass first and it cause a slight tear in the foam board, the wing had a slight downward flex. I grabbed my scotch tape from the truck and used it to tape from the wing tip to the pylon to keep pressure on it, and of course then tossed it in the air. This time it flew far worse, so I quickly started to bring it back and did more of a cart wheel than a landing. This time one of the pylons separated from the wing. Knowing it wouldn't fly well with one I pulled the other off also...and tossed it into the air. I quickly realized that by pulling the pylons off I shifted the CG forward too much and that "flight" was very short. So I packed the plane back in the truck and drove home.

I am temporarily giving up on this project, in favor of Versa Wing builds http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?19439-Neve-s-70-Blunt-nise-Versa-Wing-build

If you want the plans I have "completed" to try to work on this, please PM me and I will get you what I can.

FishbonesAir

I finally got around to printing out my design plans and started doing some foam cutting, and a bit of gluing. So far I have the main part of the fuselage cut out and partially glued together. I still need to figure out the geometry on the bottom of the nose, and will definitely be tweaking some other bits as I go, but here are two pictures of the first build of the fuselage.

IMG_20150209_060259755_zpsyqpmowih.jpg

IMG_20150209_060243728_zps63ol0bdg.jpg
Any chance you could update the broken photo links, for those of us late to the party?

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Sadly I don't, when Photobucket did their shift and started charging for storage I was unable to grab all my photos from their servers.