scratch built FT 3D

galaxy engineer

Good looking plane! Looks to be a bit heavy in the tail when flying.
Actually it looks like it may be more under powered and/or nose heavy. The tail low condition is a sign that the airplane needs to maintain a high angle of attack to produce enough lift to fly. To produce lift it either needs to fly at a high angle of attack or fly faster. If the motor cant pull it fast enough the plane will need to fly slow at a high angle. If it is nose heavy it will also need to attain a high angle of attack just to keep the nose up because of the longer ''arm'' of the CG in front of the Center of Lift.

A tail heavy airplane simply wont fly......it will just simply be unstable and try to flip flop ends as soon as the wing becomes dynamic (moves through the air) and crash......that is the sign of a tail heavy plane.

The closer the CG gets to the Center of Lift (CL) the more ''twitchy'' and sensitive the pitch control becomes but the plane will fly. As long as the CG is forward of the CL it is positively stable. When the CG is over the CL it is neutrally stable (twitchy). Any further back the CG gets then it is Negatively stable and is pretty much impossible to fly.

It is said that a nose heavy plane flys terribly and a tail heavy plane flys once!

Great looking plane BTW. I really like the way it looks! Keep us posted!

suvansh

thanks!!
it is not under powered, i am a beginner that is y i was flying slow in the vids, it was half throttle!

galaxy engineer

Cool then! It looks great and I stand corrected........power is not a problem it seems!......lol. Do you have to hold a lot of ''up'' elevator or a lot of up trim to fly at half throttle?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
A lot of up is either nose heavy or just about to stall. Try flying a bit faster, once you get it a few mistakes high, and see what happens then.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
suvansh, I also commented on your video help thread and now watching these videos, I'm guessing that you used a hat cam for the first video. I had that problem too of not always getting the plane. I find it almost better to have the camera on a hat aiming too high. It's hard to actually know how the camera on a hat is aiming. It's a lot of trial and error to figure out the best angle. But it's better to go a little high since you should be flying high.

But the plane looks great. Always a great idea to test a new plane out with minimum throttle and flying a basic pattern.

suvansh

i mean the tail heavy not the nose of it xuzme720
ill be adding something to make it work better then this
ya thhanks for the tip rcspaceflight
these are the videos from my head cam

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Ahh it's a delta! It's probably fine. I thought it was an FT3D(I was in a hurry and hadn't been able to watch the video). Flat plate delta's always seem to need a high angle of attack unless it's screaming through the air. Mine always does anyway. Keep it up!

Last edited:

suvansh

i have reversed the direction of the cam
i have placed it underneath the cap
so by this way i can have a fair idea, is my plane coming in the vid or not? and i can adjust it at the same time
2013-12-26 22.48.06.jpg 2013-12-26 22.48.14.jpg

Royall

Rather than adding weight, can you move the battery towards the nose of the plane?? I know, this is from a noob that hasn't flown yet!! LOL Just listening to the guys here on this forum and watching a lot of YouTube!!!

suvansh

but the battery i am having is not that heavy its all the way up in the nose
and if i replaced the battery then i will have to replace the motor and its esc which i dont want to do

Royall

It might help by posting what motor, battery, and ESC you have. If you are running **Volts and say a 1200mAh battery, you could go with a higher mAh battery... say an 1800mAh one. It will be a heavier battery and might be enough to make the difference. If I'm wrong on this guys PLEASE correct me! This is what I've come to understand so far.

suvansh

i am using 11.1v, 1800mah, 25s, 3c lipo
with a 30 amp esc
both of these are in the nose
i have redesigned the landing gear adding more weight with wood(for support)and hot glue
because it has snapped 2 times while landing....
and this time its good to go

suvansh

I HAVE MOVED THE BATTERY TO THE FRONT OF THE POWER POD AND I THINK ITS BETTER THEN BEFORE
I AM UPLOADING THE VIDS ON YOUTUBE RITE NOW
I WOULD LIKE TO GET MORE SUGGESTION....