Screen Name - Why? Meaning? Background?

DharanFlyer

Favorite book series of all time is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. D'hara is a country in the book that the protagonist is involved with. So I typically do fourm names Dharan Flyer, Dharan Sailor, etc.

dengar256

Dengar is one of the bounty hunters from Star Wars (in the empire strikes back guy with the bandages around his head). Being a star wars nerd I always liked his story and used it as my gamer handle back in the 90's. The 256 is just to make sure it is unique. Again being a nerd I was trying to be clever and use the max number a 8 bit binary string. Unfortunately I was off by one...

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Mine's pretty self explanatory (i.e. boring). Way easier to pronounce SP0NZ than SPONholZ. Don't believe me, listen to some of the earlier episodes or podcasts and you can here Bixler murder my last name. :applause: I've had the nickname for years. Ironically, some of my old coworkers also likened it to the Fonz from Happy Days. Ayyyyy! :cool:

Munk

Unabashed Builder
I guess I'll go ahead and tell mine because it's got a fun story.

I was up in Asheville, NC with my girlfriend just exploring the town for a day, when suddenly we came upon a man in the crowd who was dressed in simple robes. I made eye contact with the guy, and seeing me he immediately adressed me by saying, "Hey, may I talk to you for a moment?" Seeing our reluctance to talk to a random man on the street he immediately followed with, "Don't worry, I'm a monk, not a punk." He then proceeded to talk to us about the practice of yoga as a religion, but, unlike so many similar people, he spoke civilly and clearly about what he believed to be his truth. He never once insulted us by attempting to describe how his religion was better than all others, he merely just described it to us honestly and earnestly. The way he addressed us total strangers was brave, as he put out his beliefs with a true and steady conviction, and though neither me nor my girlfriend are religious, we were caught up by the respectful way in which he spoke to us and addressed us.

I chose the name Munk to remind me of this man in all that I do on the internet. I chose it as a way to remind me that the person on the other side of those letters is just as human as me, and that they deserve the full breadth of my respect, just as that monk thought I deserved his. Though the phrase, "I'm Munk, not a punk" may not always hold true in what I do, saying that little mantra before I respond helps me to try and pause before I reply to anything online. So the next time you see me tearing down someone else's view just remember, that's just me being human and breaking that mantra :D

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Simple change in the end of my last name. Besides that, I am a trashy person so the name fits me! LOL
:cool:

Cheers!
LitterBug

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Me Too
no wonder I like you!
What part? I'm from Missoula. What brings you this far East?

Helena valley, York, and Winston. Spent time hunting & fishing all over. Employment reasons brought me out to the DC Metro area. Now I can't see living where I don't have at least three or four kabob options nearby. :)

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Mine came from about 34 years ago. I used to DJ parties, weddings, and anything else where they would listen. Most of the guys I hung out with thought I could do magic with 2 turn tables and 2 cassette decks. It was about the same time that computers started to become popular and it just stuck. I still have my original Yahoo email under that name... Most of my friends do not know this and I still get asked about it all of the time.

I have sold all of that old equipment moons ago, and doubt that I would even know how anymore. The nickname works for me so I have stuck with it.

Kind of dumb, I know...

Mike

Mine originated in the late 90s as a mash up of my favorite hockey player's nickname (John Vanbiesbrouck aka Beezer) and part of the name of my favorite band (Hootie & the Blowfish). At this point its easier to stick with this than think of anything more current/creative

What has two thumbs and is a giant nerd? This guy!

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I am not a doctor. I live in MD. Yes, there is a reason for the name, but it is sort of obvious. I needed a name quick for Ebay and now I always use the same name. Except for twitter because it is too long. @mjpinmd.

Mike

kacknor

Build another!
About 1994 I built an IP stack in Windows 3.1 to connect to this newfangled idea of games playing, browsing and other time wasting features called Internet at a company I worked for at the time.

With no real idea then what to do with it, now that I had it, I search around and found a small chat and social interaction program called Palace, now long gone. The premise was a series of 'rooms' based on a theme created by the person who ran the place. The first one I found was Star Trek based.

So, 'kacknor' is Klingon. Sigh The reason for it being long gone, I keep the name because it's unique, something of value today. No Bob88734 or SceneOfTheCrash23 for me.. No, no way... Nope. Sigh

Gotta say though, if I see kacknor as a member, I know for a fact it's me. even if I don't remember ever logging on. :applause:

JD