Sea Duck-Best Power setup for Novice

stvrob_63

I want to build the Sea Duck, but I'm afraid the power pack in the video's is too much for my present skills. Can anyone suggest a lower performance build? 3S or possibly even 2S setup which would give me longer flight times at lower performance potential? Battery/motor prop combo?

Its a long drive to the nearest open area to fly, but I do live on a pond and could fly everyday if I had a Novice level seaplane. In the FT video, Mr. Bixler implies that water landings are fairly easy and it is easy to fly.

planebreaker2000

I would use the c pack motors or equivalents. You can prop down and get less speed, but an underpowered airplane is very hard to fly while an adequate powered plane can be throttled down after take off.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You can try the simple expedience of recalibrating your ESC so that max throttle is much lower. I apply this to the students I teach on my TTs so that I can increase the speed and performance when they gain some skills without having to have a range of planes or power pod combinations.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Liam B

You can try the simple expedience of recalibrating your ESC so that max throttle is much lower. I apply this to the students I teach on my TTs so that I can increase the speed and performance when they gain some skills without having to have a range of planes or power pod combinations.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Yes, good idea!