Setting up a dedicated build room for going pro

MustangO4

So it looks like I may have landed a retirement job that will have me building and maintaining a fair amount of fixed wing and multi rotors. Either way my hobby has got me putting in time on the bench and I only see that increasing when I retire. I have back and neck issues so I don't want to be leaning over my dining room table anymore and I think my wife would appreciate that too!

I am brainstorming ideas for setting up a dedicated room to work in. I will need a large table to work on big fixed wing, a station to work on electronics and soldering, and an area for doing programming and computer work. I worked in a jewelry store as a kid and my initial thoughts are a jewelers bench for electronics and soldering. 90° off from that, a computer station so I can connect the computer to boards while I am working on them. Then a large raised table about 8 feet long but elevated or with adjustable height so I can stand over a plane and work on it without leaning over to far.

I would love to see any pictures or design ideas that those of you who are doing this for long periods of time or working with.

I'd also love to see how you keep all of your small parts and pieces organized. I am using multiple boxes now, but seem to be constantly digging for something or other ;)

Additionally I will be going out and flying quite a bit. I already have an 8 x 12 trailer that I will set up with a dedicated GCS and racks to transport aircraft. I have seen some great designs on the form so far and would love to continue seeing them if anybody else has any slick trailer set ups.

Thanks a lot and keep flying!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I saw the ultimate rolling man cave hobby trailer when I was at FFE. He had satellite TV, full on stereo system hooked up to that, a build area, storage area, full on desk top computer, carpeting. pretty sure it had AC and heat that thing was set up perfectly. Rack mounted bins for stuff as well as normal storage boxes bungied to the rear part of the trailer. Possibly a small refrigerator as they always had some sort of beverage in hand every time I passed the trailer.

I would be willing to bet someone has pictures of it that will probably get posted at some point.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I wonder how many of our wives have had "their" dining room table overrun by our hobby? LOL! FliteFest was on our anniversary and I was given a kitchen pass to attend. So part of her present this year was me returning the table and the area around it. Packing for FliteFest made the first part easy. But now I am left to much the same situation as you, trying to come up with a good build/repair area. Probably ought to purge/reclaim my office (spare bedroom) and set up shop there. My aging eyes are making it necissary to have good lighting and magnification, especially for small work. Share any ideas you come up with. I'll do the same.
Cheers!
Litterbug

MustangO4

Haha! no kidding, it is all fairly compact, until you get into planes, then all bets are off! My wife is amazingly understanding. The idea of doing this professionally and getting paid has really garnered her support. She has even been brainstorming design ideas with me! it's been quite a coup!

This is the bench i am looking at for electronics, soldering etc with an elevated station for the computer off to one side with cables run to the bench.

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/R...qkU4v4h97wN963qPlEoh43RwXYkWpKxxoCX1UQAvD_BwE

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Define your concept of "Going Pro". This hobby is flooded with people trying to make a living. Flite Test makes it look easy as they have built up a following over years and years. The reality is its not an easy thing to break into unless you have a special niche and have managed to get public support thru (gah I have to say it..) social media. Seeing this is your 4th post I will assume you are not out producing videos or have a following for flight things you do in the hobby which more then likely means you are like I am and pretty much unknown to the world.

Not trying to squash hopes or anything just saying dream big but start small and slow. I wouldn't dump a ton of money into something until you at least explore how to present your ideas and find out of people are actually interested. I hear a lot of nightmare stories people jumping in with both feet and not having an actual plan other then riding the hype over the hobby.

I am shooting to maybe get on a race team and possibly sponsored. I am just breaking into that whole putting myself out there with you tube stuff and at some point will HAVE to get into FB and twitter media too I suppose. September starts my 3rd year into all that. Only a lucky few break out over night in all this.

MustangO4

Thanks. I agree 100%. I'm not in the YouTube circuit nor am I a racer. I have no illusions about how competitive that is. It's actually niche thing in fact and not in the public realm. Basically it's maintaining and building a small fleet of UAS for a company that is developing payloads for military applications. I'm retiring from the military so I speak the rest of the business and I happen to know how to keep what they are using up and running. Can't really get too much into it and playing with R/C won't be the whole job, but it is what I'm most excited about! Good luck with the racing. I've been to a few local ones and it looks awesome and very competitive!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Fully understand brother as I am Ex Navy myself. Thank you for your service too mate. So many good guys here on the forums that have served in one branch or other. Like I said. Didn't want to be all in your business and I am glad you do have a solid plan as I would hate to see a fellow FT family member as well as a serviceman take a hit on a task like you are starting. Good luck and I will be keeping an eye out for what you finally come up with if any of it can be shown or talked about.

Thank you for the sub to that always helps. Now its time to shut up and go rip a few pack before the sun gets too low to see.

MustangO4

No sweat. It looks like the makings of a good channel. I also have met with and watch another local guy down here in Tampa TheMighty Thor on YT. He does a lot of reviews and has good production on his videos. He gets a lot of free gear. Check him out. Kinda wacky but good ideas for how to do a channel and edit videos.

I likely won't be posting much on what I'll be doing but I have used this site as a resource for a long time. Gret people.

Back to the workbench (dining room table)!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes this community is sooo awesome between all the personalities and the knowledge it does not get any better for a place on the interwebz.