Show Your RC Trailer Setup

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I stole the title from a group on FB.

I've been inspired by that group and one of our own community members, Joshua Orchard, to try to setup a mobile RC hangar to carry my planes and gear back and forth to the field.

I really like going on overnight trips to flying sites which allows me to get the nice evening and morning calm air, as well as some night flying. And of course driving to locations that have multiple day events.

I have a large, 8'x16' cargo trailer conversion. It's got all the comforts of home, including a toilet and shower. But it's large and heavy. I have my little "teardrop" camper, but it's just a bit compact now that I've started flying larger planes. So I wanted my "Goldilocks Box" right sized cargo trailer. I went with an OLD Wells Cargo 6'x10'. It's compact and light, better on the fuel millage than the large camper, but big enough to fit my gas planes as well as a few of my larger 6s electrics.

I wanted it to have a workbench, some folding shelves like Joshua put in his, as well as some fixed shelves. The trouble was, the trailer I ended up with doesn't have a V-nose which is where many people put the work bench. It also doesn't have a side door, so the fixed shelves people usually put across the back of the trailer wasn't going to work. This also made it a bit cramped for placing some sort of bed into the trailer for me to sleep on while doing the multi-day trips.

I am happy with the solution I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• before.jpeg
    before.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • before out.jpeg
    before out.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 207000413_10224085715424447_6205220134289150760_n.jpeg
    207000413_10224085715424447_6205220134289150760_n.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • planes trailer.jpeg
    planes trailer.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 0
  • shelves.jpeg
    shelves.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bench.jpeg
    bench.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
well... not bad, way more then I would need... I could travel in a large backpack with a wing or two strapped to the outside of it.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
well... not bad, way more then I would need... I could travel in a large backpack with a wing or two strapped to the outside of it.

Well, I also hope to get a local field opened. Since there's no infrastructure there, and I'd like the field to be a training site, this will act as a way to carry the equipment needed, as well as a way to do on site repairs.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Well, I also hope to get a local field opened. Since there's no infrastructure there, and I'd like the field to be a training site, this will act as a way to carry the equipment needed, as well as a way to do on site repairs.
yah... outside of a way to charge more batteries and power a hot glue gun, I could pack up in my back pack, but having a table could be useful.

but realize, the biggest things I have are some tiny trainers and my vtol project... most of the stuff I want to be out flying could be put in or strapped to a backpack (drones or wings in the 24-30" width range)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Dont forget some sort of active ventilation. Lest you or your planes melt and warp on those long drives and hot summer nights.

The fold down day bed is a great idea. Over time a few solar panels on the roof and a storage battery or two mounted in the ceiling or under the floor in a protected box would make this a nice rolling man cave. Maybe one of them sliding glass door screen thingies that are held in place by magnets will keep them kamikaze skeeters at bay a bit better then an open door.