Shooting an episode with an iPhone.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
We get so many questions about the gear we use on the show. We've been tossing around the idea of shooting an episode with the iPhone. Why? Just to see the difference. Many people think the show is good because of the cameras we use. So what if we go LoFi? Will it destroy the show? Any thoughts?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I know it's not the gear. I surely appreciate that you guys use great gear and the visuals are stunning, but people forget that a lot of the amazing shots are from go pro cameras mounted in the chase plane. Fear not, we'd enjoy your show if you shot it on super 8. It's the content that I like, the cool gear and high end visuals are a bonus.

Klonas

I'd really really like to see that. Why? Well I don't think Iphone has manual focusation and can zoom very well. Will that make your video "less good"? I don't know. A lot of people say that the quality depends not by how good is your camera and editing software but how good is the director and actors and other people helping...
It's just that I don't know anyone who has done a comparison like youre proposing...
Not necesseraly a full episode maybe just a few minutes bit of a traditional episode. But I'd really love to see it.

Vintauri

Minnesota RC'r
Good equipment can make a difference but a great photographer can still take a good photo with crappy gear, and the same rule would apply to cinematography. The Iphone and other small cameras take excellent photos and video with the right light. From there it's all about the camera man getting the good shot and the editors working with the footage to make a great show. For that matter, having great video with horrible audio is usually worse then the other way around with great audio but poor video.

I often take quick shot either photo's or video using my Iphone if it's not worth setting up the real gear.

I'd love to see how you guys do it and maybe you can shoot the behind the scenes info of how you dealt with the limitations of the Iphone cameras.

JoeyG

Go for it, it's just one episode, if it works then great, if not, then nevermind.. I'd b interested in seeing the results.

J.

earthsciteach

Well, the show is good because you use professional cameras, know how to edit in an entertaining way, have a couple of guys with good personalities, know how to compose the video shoot, choose interesting subject matter, and on and on. Cameras are just a symptom.

sandblaster

Go with the iPhone but take one step further, edit it on the iPhone as well. Might not be able to add the intro but the rest of the video could be edited on the iPhone. Think that would be interesting. If real brave aero shots with on board iPhone. Might want to put the phone in one of those military grade cases.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I have a new iPhone 4s and I think you would be surprised at the quality of the video. The light levels aren't quite right, but I am sure it will be better than expected.

jrooth

Why bother? Everybody knows that the gear does not matter if there is no talent behind and in front of the camera.

Prove it the other way around. Throw in a bunch of monkeys in the studio and see what they record and how well they build that balsa glider under time pressure.

Keep up the good work!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
We get so many questions about the gear we use on the show. We've been tossing around the idea of shooting an episode with the iPhone. Why? Just to see the difference. Many people think the show is good because of the cameras we use. So what if we go LoFi? Will it destroy the show? Any thoughts?

Do it. Do it.
Starsky+and+Hutch-+Do+It.jpg

PaulT

Mentor
Prove it the other way around. Throw in a bunch of monkeys in the studio and see what they record and how well they build that balsa glider under time pressure.

I think the monkeys that flitetest is using is proof enough!!;)
Don't talk on cameras and take pictures with phones!
I view these phones like the all in one printer/scanner/copiers on the market. They do a so so job but not as good as a dedicated unit.
I love my iphone but still use a made for the purpose camera.
You can use a wrench for a hammer but.... you get the picture.....lol

jamesomega

hey now, using a 4S camera is cheating. That thing opens up to f2.4. Do it on some 3GS's and make your titles in MS Paint with your non-dominant hand. You could compose different music, but I would suggest just having the three of you beatbox and hum/sing the theme song as best as you can together.

Keep the boom mics going through the rest of the show, we'll still want to hear what everyone's saying. And boom mics have been around a lot longer than cellphones too! :)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
hey now, using a 4S camera is cheating. That thing opens up to f2.4. Do it on some 3GS's and make your titles in MS Paint with your non-dominant hand. You could compose different music, but I would suggest just having the three of you beatbox and hum/sing the theme song as best as you can together.

Keep the boom mics going through the rest of the show, we'll still want to hear what everyone's saying. And boom mics have been around a lot longer than cellphones too! :)

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-copy.jpg

Tom O'Connell

Bixler FPV Mods Fantastic
hmm. the iphone quality is supposed hd, but when you think about the size of that sensor, especially compared to that of the 5dII
it's crazy. Personally i think that this would really make the show look unprofessional in many ways. I say stick with the same kit to keep that amazing quality :D

jgrouse

Grass does look amazingly good close up in HD:p Can just picture that guy on the Sir Walter grass ad pulling out a Tricopter which has planted itself into the lawn after a high altitude crash (particularly deep into the ground after all the rain we have had).