Should I train for LOS? (Please read)

littleferrhis

Ok so I have done a lot of full scale flight sims, and am planning on going to college to fly full scale aircraft, and I have been in and out of the hobby at really random points. I've bought a Hobbyzone Champ when I was much younger and destroyed the thing, and just a year or so ago bought a nano qx, which my little feline friend destroyed . The one thing I have always had trouble with is LOS flying, which I think is due to me mainly doing full scale flight sims, which of course are all done through fpv. Every time I've touched a rc or full scale flight sim, the fpv has at worst been manageable,while on the LOS I've crashed after two or so turns, so I definitely know I can fly fpv way better than LOS. My main question is, I just recently purchased a parrot bebop, since it was 200$ and reminded me a lot of the DJI in terms of tech and such, and also happens to be the first quad I'm buying with fpv installed. I have also been watching a lot of tutorials saying I need to master LOS before I even touch fpv, some even calling it a distraction, but I wanted to see if there were second opinions. Should I just turn my ipad down and learn to fly the drone purely by line of sight to get it mastered, should I do a mix of the two using the fpv as a comfortable reference and learning line of sight that way, or should I just do away with learning LOS in the first place since I would be planning on flying purely fpv anyways? I'm open to all opinions.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Keep on with the LOS sims. The only real difference between LOS and FPV is the weird orientation, but if you stick with it on the sim it will eventually just click. I initially learned on a fixed wing sim, they are a little more forgiving. But I crashed hundreds of times before I could do a full circuit.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The issue is one of spatial awareness. Using FPV your vision is restricted ans therefore you can be caught by surprise by things suddenly appearing in your flight path whereas LOS would allow you to see a fair while before the incursion into your flight path.

That simple fact is the main reason, in some countries, it is a legal requirement to have a LOS spotter for those flying using FPV.