Sig Astro-Hog, Rescue and Re-build

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If I were to build it from a kit there are some changes which many recommend to make it even better. Check the RCG threads. If you go electric I'm very happy with the choice I made for mine.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Four more flights today, this time from grass. It isn't ideal as it chops a lot of grass, but it still takes off nicely. Tweaking the flight surfaces still isn't done, but the plane still flies very well. Most impressive is the glide slope before landing. I'll cut power completely and just glide in, and give it a gentle flare before wheels touch and get a perfect landing. 3 of 4 landings today were just about perfect.

The more I fly the plane the more I like how docile and predictable it is. It could be a first lie wing trainer and maybe a 3rd balsa kit.

For some reason, I've always liked the Astro Hog. Maybe it was flipping through the pages of the tower hobbies catalog as a kid.... Reading up on its history, when I was older, made me like it even more. I'll have to build one someday. I think I'll do the old school version with the old style ailerons. Either way, it's a classic. It's kind of like the Ace Whizard. When I got my first plane, it was a choice between the Goldberg Ranger 42, and the Whizard. The Ranger, with an OS Max .10 on the nose was more than I could handle! i never did get the hang of it as a kid in the early 80s, but man have I enjoyed it as middle aged adult!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Revisiting the Hog as flying season slowly gets closer... Since I recently got a 3D printer I couldn't resist adding a fitting pilot to this plane. This one was found on Thingiverse, and after printing, priming, and a little clean-up of stray stringers my daughter and I spent some quality time painting him. I took some extra effort to try weathering the "leather" of the helmet and jacket, and am pretty happy with how it turned out. After it was painted, I felt like it was still missing a final detail so I drilled a hole in his face and stuck a "cigar" in place. The cigar is made from copper wire, and the cherry tip is the cherry on top of the sundae.

After he's mounted in the plane and weather is decent I'll get a pic. It turned out the perfect size for this plane.

IMG_4432.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

LocksmithLouie

The wing is now scraped about as clean as it's going to get, and it's been rough-sanded. The wing and fuse need some filler in a few spots as well as final sanding. Tail surfaces are removed and will be used as patterns for new pieces. It's coming along quickly, and may turn out to be a relatively quick project.

View attachment 74414

Before calling it a night I decided to cut a hatch for battery access. The plan is to use the same 5 cell 5000mAh packs that I use in my big Pietenpol. A little reinforcement will be needed in here, along with a proper battery tray. The ESC will be below the battery, and I should have easy access for installing the pack. A big obvious hatch on top of the fuselage isn't my first choice, but with a plane this size the options are limited. Side-loading the battery was an option but this will simply be easier to work with at the field. Once it's in the air it won't matter much anyway! :)

View attachment 74415
How did you secure the hatch to the fuselage? I am doing (or attempting to)convert to electric as you have done but uncertain how I should secure the hatch>

JackAlbright

How did you secure the hatch to the fuselage? I am doing (or attempting to)convert to electric as you have done but uncertain how I should secure the hatch>

I see your post was about a year ago. I'm also working on putting one together. This thread looks pretty dead but I've been using it for reference, if you don't have your's done already, would you be interested in some collaboration?