Simple EPP foam wing Mobius camera mount

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Here's how I mounted my Mobius to my Popwing. It's basically just a 1/4" screw with some washers and a nylock nut. What I like about it is that the screw can easily turn on the washers, so you can position the camera exactly how you need to. The camera is kept from rotating mostly by friction, so there's no twisting or pulling at the foam when you're installing the camera case. The only problem that I had to solve was that the nut and the screw rotated too easily on the washers, meaning that the camera could move in flight. So I put a rubber gasket between the top washer and the nylock nut, and voila.

Now you may be asking, "Why didn't you just use some velcro or something?" The answer is that, first, velcro did't hold securely enough to avoid wiggling and vibration, which I didn't like. And second, whatever mystical material the Mobius is made of absolutely will not hold an adhesive, so I couldn't get velcro to reliably stick. I mean, it would stick okay, but then it would very quickly pull off. Also, this method allowed me to get the camera raised up slightly off the wing, and extended slightly in front of the wing, so that there was no part of the plane in view.

2015-03-29 23.01.30.jpg

2015-03-29 23.01.48.jpg

2015-03-29 23.02.09.jpg

2015-03-29 23.03.01.jpg

2015-03-29 23.03.17.jpg