Simple Scout

jpot1

Elite member
Finally painted mine up.

50DA04BB-5A17-4B48-9DBE-EA1E2C8EEA6F.jpeg

jpot1

Elite member
I borrowed them from SPONZ. Go to his plans thread and they are available with the bloody Baron plans.

The video and plans are contradictory in terms of which motor to use. The video shows an emax 2204. The plans call for a park 400. I see many of you have used a full sized firewall instead of the mighty mini fire wall. I had planned to use a 2205-2300kv motor which uses the smaller 2mm connectors rather than the 3mm which are evidently on the 2204 from FliteTest. So, I'm seeing lots of different information on which motor to use and how to mount it. Suggestions???

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Are you planning on building a scout or mini scout? The mini will take the 2204, while the full size needs the park 400. The mini firewall should be pre-drilled for all of the mini powerpack motors.

Doug G

CNC cut Scout

Here’s my Simple Scout that I cut on my CNC router. Wanted to keep it light so I used black and white foamboard, no paint.
It’s about 19oz RTF with 1300 3s battery. I mounted servos where shown on the plans and it looks to be balanced almost perfect. Haven’t flown it yet, hopefully this week.

Attachments

• D5D9F295-45A1-4160-8C0D-F0204276B1F2.jpeg
    D5D9F295-45A1-4160-8C0D-F0204276B1F2.jpeg
    685.8 KB · Views: 3

jim_w

Here’s my Simple Scout that I cut on my CNC router. Wanted to keep it light so I used black and white foamboard, no paint.
It’s about 19oz RTF with 1300 3s battery. I mounted servos where shown on the plans and it looks to be balanced almost perfect. Haven’t flown it yet, hopefully this week.

I'd like to see your CNC setup....very cool!

HilldaFlyer

Firewall and Power pod size

Is anyone building the Simple Scout using the plans? I've gotten to sliding the power pod into the nose and there seems to be a lot of slop. The Firewall is about 6 mm taller than the foam piece it attaches to.

Here are a couple of photos take while test fitting. Looks like the firewall is the right height but the power pod is shorter. What am I missing???

D8xfUNwrnbRO-VHNDQwgu_Eq_GnvhnsayciuSyZ_DjBnSlJ8DYf1tf4qstWRsEjkePCG-wkSoAkkOKOvcTbKI488PSkwxSlFH1PnZZAV0GdSKzk_q9lJUYZdZB4Fq0xiikLir8sz

1CJi-IEaYEf8e729Hrx5L3ta1zpYAwjVQ82h6t_vLJuxVXIneGkHpm35ZfqwnunwmYybifsuPRtzRswTvuqDD74LNeuEwOnZixvmgL9OcHgqQRelgSFoOprRTeFgeIBhgrt76Xgf

HilldaFlyer

Sorry - I don't understand what you mean. I was following the build video.
eRtWxISzO7NNnDD1w94k0OOaq6Fc0VMRbgFdnHruP17YPZCk6heqQjr_Y47Wu48Y0zSEiFzhllOg0Cigsncog8St9RjzGDdoDDJjLXPc7byzP1gnxbg35L4Buyfxl3mDdhkcsV28

The bottom of the "U" power pod faces down.

HilldaFlyer

Thanks daxian, I appreciate your photo. I see now what you were saying, my firewall lip is on the wrong side. That doesn't make the foam a tight fit?

So do you slide the power pod completely into the fuselage or does the firewall lip (sticking up from the foam) rest on the front of the plane. Isn't the power pod able to move up and down because it is not a tight snug fit into the fuselage?

1CJi-IEaYEf8e729Hrx5L3ta1zpYAwjVQ82h6t_vLJuxVXIneGkHpm35ZfqwnunwmYybifsuPRtzRswTvuqDD74LNeuEwOnZixvmgL9OcHgqQRelgSFoOprRTeFgeIBhgrt76Xgf

Even in this photo, if I were to rotate 180 degrees, there would still be a gap between the rails and the top of the fuselage. Is the pod not supposed to be snug inside the fuselage?

Here is what I did... I cut out another power pod with 6 mm longer sides, the firewall covers the front of the pod completely.
It slides in without any slop.

G6WuwSObQS_eikX3PRzla7DqFlr7BhPa5Jr4n55StTAbm-CW67TLf4VJYwKeTLmoG5wMoYkyDQbr_Xbo4CE62xA3uvoLhreLfRbMVEFrCmt-ekJFErN-CTykgjskxw3iA0l5vj-G

PJB1URQ4q400pHWtDJ37Lyf4G4XOQJjLu9Flg9YQFLJPsBLbqaGZHj5JqnFiee4oGdcAe7vjhX7Q64eC223xL3YZQYImPPk3VqvwgIoTKvZ0s07WdUuszEbwjdC4rFfzT6wPAtzd

Last edited:

daxian

Elite member
hi again ...
yes that looks a much better fit , when the skewers are used it would have locked the pod in ,which is the way josh intended ...
but your way works just as well !!!

Mini or Simple

The video for the Simple Scout shows the the motor mount video for the Mini Scout. Not a big deal except I bought a motor based on the video. Having another motor around never hurt.

Spitfire76

Got the FT Simple Scout for Christmas and just started the build. I had watched Josh's build video but he mentions the A and B power packs but the store has option for the B and C and I have the C power pack that comes with the EMax Grand Turbo GT2215/09 motor. Which power pack is best for a beginner ?. I plan on starting with the 3 channel version.

Last edited:

Spitfire76

Regarding my previous post I see that the B power pack contains an EMAX MT2213 motor that just so happens to be the the same motor I used on an old quad that I no longer fly. Also I had difficulty with mounting the servos inside the fuselage so I've placed them on the outside as shown in the photos. I saw someone else had done this in another thread and I liked the idea as I can use linkage stoppers and so it makes it so much easier to adjust.

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

Last edited: