Simple Storch landing gear ?

GBJim

I am building a Simple Storch, and have read complaints that the landing gear is too rigid, and has caused fuselage damage. Has anyone encounted this, and what can be done about it ?

jim

jaskoller

I didn't use the Flite test stuff. (I build mine from plans) But I used coat hanger, and it worked great. It will bend in a hard landing, I just bend it back and it is good to go. Worked for me!

rmbayer

mystorchlandgear.gif

I've just couldn't bend the wire correctly. So I used a gear off another plane which I sandwiched between gift card like material with hot glue, Then use bbq skewers where the gear wires should have gone. Has some shock absorption, but looks much less cool.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I have had mine since July and I have had no damage due to rigid landing gear. If I were to land it hard enough that the gear is damaging it then I would consider that a crash. I fly with two others with Storch's and stiff gear has never been a complaint.

GBJim

Thanks guys. I am also having an issue with the long straight main strut that supports the wheels. The build video shows two 2" bends over the top of the cabin, inserted into the same slot, one on top of the other. That slot on top of the cabin really isn't that deep where it can accept the two struts, one on top of the other. The top strut protrudes above the cabin line. Won't this interfere with putting the wing on ?

jim

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I put mine more side by side. It wasn't a pretty fit. I believe I had to open the space up a bit. The gear was the hardest part of the build. I flew for a month or so with no gear. then it came loose a couple of times and I ended up securing it on the bottom with popsicle sticks and zip ties.

Last edited:

GBJim

" I put mine more side by side. It wasn't a pretty fit. " Thanks Capt. I understand what you are saying by side by side, like it is used on the bottom. I'll try it as described in the video, and see what happens. I am looking to make it the strongest way possible, and I'm just not feeling comfortable hot gluing steel landing gear to foam.

jim

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Jim,

I know what you mean, but you also shouldn't go sparingly with the HG on these two joints. The "bigger blob" of glue around the wire should better distribute out the force into the foam. If you live in a warmer climate, this is a joint I'd HIGHLY recommend doing with Gorilla Glue (inject glue, tape over seam and add weight to press the joint flat while it cures).

Keep in mind, you're also dividing that force between three mounting points, and odds are the first failure will be at the joint just above the wheel, absorbing most of the energy in a "hard landing". This is why that joint should be zip-tied and glued, not soldered. It's actually a fairly resilient and easily repaired design.

GBJim

Good response Dan, you have given me greater faith in the design. I will do exactly as you have recommended.

Thank you.

jim

Fyathyrio

The issue I had was caused by the internal wood backing. While it appears all nice and solid, it's really only held in place by the paper, and pulled away from it after a few landings. This allowed the front/lower mount to pull the bottom off the fuselage and pivot backwards on the top support. Put a little extra effort into ensuring the paint stick pieces are secured on more than one plane, and help by more than just one layer of paper and that'll go a long way towards limiting damage.