Slowfly backyard scratchbuild

ExperimentalRC

I've got the bug to scratchbuild an airplane, which is something I've never successfully done. I usually don't have a lot of time to pack up and go to a field, so my yard is where I fly. Because of this I mostly fly multirotors, which don't need a lot of space to fly. I have had 3-4 airplanes, and a simulator so learning to fly is not a problem here. Im looking for something that can fly in a 150 ft by 150ft area. I have some spare parts laying around so I think i have the electronics part figured out, but I need some advice for an airframe. I only have 2 9g servos, so it would have to be 3 channel. It is quite windy where I live, usually around 10-15 mph gusts. Any and all input is appreciated.

Dillon

Maybe you could build a umx style frame that flies kind of slow? I noticed that on my Sport Cub S can fly a lot slower than my UMX T-28. Maybe putting the wing on top of the fuselage will help slow it down, plus you could have manual adjusted flaps. Not sure if the shape of the fuselage would effect the speed though. But that's just my idea.

Last edited:

ExperimentalRC

I have a bunch of parts laying around and thought I could finally make scratchbuild something that works.I think that the small UMX planes might not be able to handle the wind i want to fly in. Im thinking one of the FT designs, but Im not sure which one.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I'm also interested in a backyard plane for a similar sized yard. I've built an FT Flyer which was a lot of fun because it is relaxing to fly, but also can do loops and high alpha. Recently I've been wanting something more aerobatic so I tried building a Delta Yak from RCTestFlight. My blue wonder motor is too weak to hover it and it is really squirrelly, but I have an NTM 2826 that I will try on it. You might also want to try out an FT Delta if you want something that rolls.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I think the Mikeys FPV V3 would do it. It's got enough weight to deal with some wind, it's very sturdy in a crash, it can fly very slow (good for tight spaces), and it can land at a high angle (also good for tight spaces).
https://youtu.be/Rem-J4_5NlQ?t=218

ExperimentalRC

Can the tiny trainer handle 9g servos? Im thinking something like the 3 channel tiny trainer with either a larger wing area or undercamber for flying slow

Bambua

The Tiny Trainer gets really heavy really quick if you are not careful, and when it gets to that point you have to fly it fast because of the wing loading.

ExperimentalRC

What about those cheap styrofoam chuck gliders you can find at most retail stores. Keep it light with mini quad electronics. From what I can remember they have lots of dihedral and could be only 3 channel. Has anyone done this?

ExperimentalRC

So I decided to make my own crude version of the tiny trainer. Pretty heavily undercambered, and I think the horizontal stabilizer/elevator might be too small. Thoughts? image.jpg image.jpg

quorneng

Master member
That looks pretty neat.

If you want to optimise for slow flying in tight spaces surprisingly docile characteristics tend to be more useful than instant response. This comes from a longer rear fuselage rather than a bigger tail area.

My own preference for slow speed manoeuvrability (as distinct from aerobatics) with only 3 channels is for ailerons rather than a rudder.