So I'm starting a youtube channel...

Hey there! So I love multi rotors and planes and the max I've ever spent on an RC plane was $100.00 and that guy could barely fly. Years later (NOW) I am giving it another shot and I need advice and wisdom from people who actually know what they are doing...

So I have made a youtube channel called "The RC Noobie" and I will be uploading vlogs to it talking through my thoughts and ideas of what I think I am supposed to do to properly scratch build a few different flying machines. I would LOVE to have a few people sub and help me out by answering the questions in the comments on YouTube.

Here's the intro to the channel...

The first vlog is uploading right now, so that should be up in the next 30 minutes or so, but any support would be so appreciated! Thank you!!!

Hope your wife will increase your allowance so you can get more things for your new interest.

She's been amazing about the whole thing! Took $50 a paycheck and put it to the side for me to get my TGY-i10. I have my own little business making videos on youtube and she is still saying not to buy my toys from my business account, and that could be something we save up for together. God blessed me big time with her!:cool:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Don't let budget prevent you from moving forward. My rc budget has been $50 a month since I started in this hobby, just gotta figure out how to do it cheap.

Good luck!

Don't let budget prevent you from moving forward. My rc budget has been $50 a month since I started in this hobby, just gotta figure out how to do it cheap.

Good luck!

Would you say its fair to say once you have the larger parts... RX/TX, Servos, ESCs, BECs, motors, all that jazz, the hobby is relatively cheap when it comes to making some of the FT fliers? If they crash you may be able to reuse many of the parts right? Obviously important parts will break, but once you got a "fullish kit" getting replacements isnt too bad... Is that a fair assessment?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yes. If you go the DTF route then it's gets cheaper as you build up your equipment. In the beginning I destroyed a few motors and speed controllers, but now I haven't had a failure in maybe 16 months.

I quickly got to a point where the most expensive thing is having to buy more servos for all my planes.

Yes. If you go the DTF route then it's gets cheaper as you build up your equipment. In the beginning I destroyed a few motors and speed controllers, but now I haven't had a failure in maybe 16 months.

I quickly got to a point where the most expensive thing is having to buy more servos for all my planes.

Nice, what size servo do you use? I was noticing sets of 5 on amazon for $20 MAX... They were 9 gram.

Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing you progress in this hobby.

Thank you so much! I am looking forward to your input! I love how this community is so welcoming! I'm excited to get the next parts and pieces so I can get farther than just talking and having ideas ;0)

mdmccat

Oh man you only got ten channels? How are you gonna fire the cannons! JK, JK, Can't wait to see more videos, Good start!

The Alpine Ace

Just a suggestion. I'd start with a mighty mini from FliteTest for a few reasons. I'm excited to see more people getting into the hobby! First of all, big airplanes are intimidating, so even though the normal sized FT planes may look small, they are actually quite big once you build them, and trust me when I say you'll be shaking in your boots the first time you fly a big plane. Secondly, the minis are cheaper to build and crash. The smaller parts for the most part are cheaper. Thirdly the minis take less of a beating when they crash. Little planes have little weight to throw around so they can't hurt themselves that much compared to a hurling 2 lb mass of foam, glue and props. And Lastly, you can fly them in smaller areas like parks. (area might not be a problem for you but in my neighborhood we don't have big open fields like FliteTest, only local parks) But overall I think you're about to start a FUN hobby, if you can get a friend flying with you, it becomes twice as fun. Also this is only my opinion, not fact. Others may think differently and have good reasons, just my two cents though.

Oh man you only got ten channels? How are you gonna fire the cannons! JK, JK, Can't wait to see more videos, Good start!

See exactly! Cannons and bomb bay doors! Shoulda gotten the 50 channel radio! Darn...

Thank you so much for the support! Today has been such an awesome day with all the great complements and encouragement!

Just a suggestion. I'd start with a mighty mini from FliteTest for a few reasons. I'm excited to see more people getting into the hobby! First of all, big airplanes are intimidating, so even though the normal sized FT planes may look small, they are actually quite big once you build them, and trust me when I say you'll be shaking in your boots the first time you fly a big plane. Secondly, the minis are cheaper to build and crash. The smaller parts for the most part are cheaper. Thirdly the minis take less of a beating when they crash. Little planes have little weight to throw around so they can't hurt themselves that much compared to a hurling 2 lb mass of foam, glue and props. And Lastly, you can fly them in smaller areas like parks. (area might not be a problem for you but in my neighborhood we don't have big open fields like FliteTest, only local parks) But overall I think you're about to start a FUN hobby, if you can get a friend flying with you, it becomes twice as fun. Also this is only my opinion, not fact. Others may think differently and have good reasons, just my two cents though.

I completely agree, one of the minis would be an excellent start! I am uploading another video now about the "fleet" I would like to create in the future, and I sooooo wish I had read your post first before I spoke. The FT Mighty minis are exactly what I was thinking/talking about throughout the video and i totally didnt know what to call them. Thank you so much for the input! I will rewatch the Mighty mini build videos now cause of you! :0)

The fleet video is still uploading, but when its up, heres the link to it. :0)

Jimmyp

I completely agree, one of the minis would be an excellent start! I am uploading another video now about the "fleet" I would like to create in the future, and I sooooo wish I had read your post first before I spoke. The FT Mighty minis are exactly what I was thinking/talking about throughout the video and i totally didnt know what to call them. Thank you so much for the input! I will rewatch the Mighty mini build videos now cause of you! :0)

The fleet video is still uploading, but when its up, heres the link to it. :0)
I actually like to teach my friends on a larger plane. A big plane is easier to see and you don't have to work so hard to keep it close to you to be able to see orientation. Most often the bigger plane can handle the wind a bit better.
My fav right now for teaching is the FT-Explorer with the beginner wing. It is fairly large plane that goes slow. That is the key - SLOW -. Small fast planes get away from you then it is hard to see. A bigger plane can be taken up high and give some wiggle room between the plane and the ground for mistake recovery. The other thing I like about the Explorer is that it is modular. If you are learning you are going to crash. Its part of the fun. Pusher prop... not getting broken in a crash.. If you nose it in you only need to make a new nose etc. Wing has rubber bands to connect so likely not getting broken easily.

Alternatively a big plane needs a bit more space to fly in. A large field is the best.

The electronics and battery on the larger plane may be slightly more expensive. Maybe adds up to $10 more per plane.

My next fav to teach new flyers is flying wings. Very simple. Only two servos and again pusher prop. I find them very durable as well. They can take multiple hits before becoming un-flyable. Just need to make sure the CG is right on.
The FT-Arrow is a good one. Small and cheep.

I actually like to teach my friends on a larger plane. A big plane is easier to see and you don't have to work so hard to keep it close to you to be able to see orientation. Most often the bigger plane can handle the wind a bit better.
My fav right now for teaching is the FT-Explorer with the beginner wing. It is fairly large plane that goes slow. That is the key - SLOW -. Small fast planes get away from you then it is hard to see. A bigger plane can be taken up high and give some wiggle room between the plane and the ground for mistake recovery. The other thing I like about the Explorer is that it is modular. If you are learning you are going to crash. Its part of the fun. Pusher prop... not getting broken in a crash.. If you nose it in you only need to make a new nose etc. Wing has rubber bands to connect so likely not getting broken easily.

Alternatively a big plane needs a bit more space to fly in. A large field is the best.

The electronics and battery on the larger plane may be slightly more expensive. Maybe adds up to $10 more per plane.

My next fav to teach new flyers is flying wings. Very simple. Only two servos and again pusher prop. I find them very durable as well. They can take multiple hits before becoming un-flyable. Just need to make sure the CG is right on.
The FT-Arrow is a good one. Small and cheep.

Good point as well... Would you say that a larger plane flies smoother and a smaller one gets beat around a bit easier?

nwnugget

Would you like a few episode suggestions?

Watch each FliteTest beginner series episode. After each episode you watch do a vlog where you show off your notes on the things you learned.

Not only would you be getting educated in an entertaining way, but talking about it to the community later will reinforce that info in your brain and to your subscribers.

Make sure to link the relevant FliteTest episode in your vlog description to maybe funnel some traffic back to the FT crew.

Subscriber number 5 to your channel, for what its worth.