So I'm starting a youtube channel...

Awesome idea! I've been a fan of flight test from the very beginning, might not hurt to go back and look over the beginner videos again... I love episode ideas! Keep them coming and I'll keep it in mind!

Jimmyp

Good point as well... Would you say that a larger plane flies smoother and a smaller one gets beat around a bit easier?

I guess you could say that.

I do admit though that the larger planes do intimidate a new flier though. I have a friend who I made two planes for. The FT-Storch and a small simple flying wing. He will fly the wing but is nervous about the bigger plane even though the bigger plane is a far better flier. I think that part if it is knowing that the larger plane took more of my time to build for him. But for me I love to build so I keep telling him to knock himself out. Fly it til he breaks it then Ill build him another (note my motto below). Or we can build one together.

I guess you could say that.

I do admit though that the larger planes do intimidate a new flier though. I have a friend who I made two planes for. The FT-Storch and a small simple flying wing. He will fly the wing but is nervous about the bigger plane even though the bigger plane is a far better flier. I think that part if it is knowing that the larger plane took more of my time to build for him. But for me I love to build so I keep telling him to knock himself out. Fly it til he breaks it then Ill build him another (note my motto below). Or we can build one together.

I admit I've flown a slightly larger craft. I think my old skyfly felt pretty big. I lean towards wanting to build something smaller for portability sake. But I do have a pickup truck, sooooo. Skys the limit as long as the wing comes off. ;0)

The Alpine Ace

With all these veterans giving you their advice, it will be hard to go wrong. Take everyones opinions and then use them to come up with your own. You choose what's important for you, whether it be portability, steady-in-the-wind-flying, crashability, modular pieces etc. These are all great, but you can't do it all, so choose what YOU want to do or you won't end up enjoying it.
I would highly suggest getting a simulator (most likely realflight) it will save you hundreds of dollars in the long run!
Also If you're looking for more episode ideas, a timelapse of you creating a plane would be entertaining! Also, I liked nwnugget's idea when he said to post your notes you take and have the community reinforce what you're learning. It may not seem like people want to see your "boring hand written notes" but most of the people subscribed to you are going to be watching because they love to see people learning and growing, and they want to be a part of that process. Good luck mate! We're all cheering you on!

Last edited:
With all these veterans giving you their advice, it will be hard to go wrong. Take everyones opinions and then use them to come up with your own. You choose what's important for you, whether it be portability, steady-in-the-wind-flying, crashability, modular pieces etc. These are all great, but you can't do it all, so choose what YOU want to do or you won't end up enjoying it.
I would highly suggest getting a simulator (most likely realflight) it will save you hundreds of dollars in the long run!
Also If you're looking for more episode ideas, a timelapse of you creating a plane would be entertaining! Also, I liked nwnugget's idea when he said to post your notes you take and have the community reinforce what you're learning. It may not seem like people want to see your "boring hand written notes" but most of the people subscribed to you are going to be watching because they love to see people learning and growing, and they want to be a part of that process. Good luck mate! We're all cheering you on!

Wise words! I feel the flitetest force is strong with me right now. Lol! Everyone is so awesome, I feel like I need to do an episode mentioning all the great comments and advice I've gotten in the last 3 or 4 days. Amazing... I keep saying in my videos that this community is awesome!

I love realflight. That's a great simulator, pretty expencive, but I had an older version of it for a couple years that taught me a lot. I was fairly decent at 3d helis on it. :0) I'd get another realflight but the cost is as much as a good quality racing quad. So I'd much rather go that route so I can finally put my new TX to work. Lol!

The timelapse idea is a plan I've been hoping for for quite some time now, I own a production company where I do timelapse quite often on my main youtube channel, (I teach drawing techniques) so I would love to take that and put it to work for me in this new channel too. I love the notes idea too. It's been a long time since I looked through the beginners videos on FT. So I think that's an excellent idea. :0)

I completely agree about my subscribers. They are so encouraging and mentoring. I know I'm heading the right direction with this cause of all of you. :0)

I'm just ready to start building!!!

nwnugget

**ahem**
Try not to hold you camera while driving and vlogging and shifting your truck. Just bad form buddy.

I'm still watching you become one of us - ONE OF US!

Build a foamie!

**ahem**
Try not to hold you camera while driving and vlogging and shifting your truck. Just bad form buddy.

I'm still watching you become one of us - ONE OF US!

Build a foamie!

One of us :0) so ready to atleast get some equipment to get that phase started.