Soldering balance connector to power FPV

Greetz!

I'm hooking up my first FPV system and got myself a female balance connector (JST-XH), so that I can power my FPV gear off the main 3S battery pack.

The FPV power cable naturally has only positive and negative wires, and requires 12v power supply. My question is the following:

The female balance connector is already hooked up to a cable (negative wire, and the wires for the all the cells). In order to hook all that up properly to the FPV power cable, I guess I hook up the negative to the negative, and then the rest of the cables to the positive on the fpv power cable.

Is that correct though (all 3 cell cables to end up in one place)? I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be but I wouldn't want to overlook something and cook everything :).

Thanks in advance!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
NO!!!!!!

If you did that the upper two cells would short out -- the "+" for cell 2 is the "-" for cell 3, so connect +2 and +3 together and you've just shorted cell 3, and sparky-sparky, smoke and fire.

the power input for the FPV gear is for 12v, so it can take the full battery voltage directly, so wiring the ground -> ground and the top of cell 3 (high wire) -> positive is correct, leaving the middle two pins disconnected on the socket.

Be advised, if you have power issues with noise in the video, you'll need to add a filter in-line, and between these connectors is a good place to insert it. see what you've got first, but take a look at the LC filters many FPV vendors are selling if the video suffers when the throttle is run up.

Well see - I had the common sense to doubt my ideas and ask first :D But yeah that makes more sense now. I just thought you had 1 ground and then 3 wires (cells) at 3.7v and that was it. Actually looking at the balance connector on the battery it's pretty simple too because the first and last wires are black and red (- / +).

About the noise - I figured this may be an issue so as a back up I have a 500mah 3cell that can go on there to power the FPV stuff only. I'd run it on the Blunt Versa so plenty of space.

Anyhow...thanks! :)