Some of my recent projects

BigSix

Thank you all for being so awesome, and continuing this hobby and being so helpful! I have my father in law to thank for getting me back into this hobby after so long, and i could not be happier. I picked up with a mustang for a christmas gift, build another mustang and both of them are still in tact and fly amazing! i would recommend the mustangs to anyone starting out because if built right, and if you keep the speed up they are very manageable.

I had a challenge with my father in law to build combat SE5's, and he will be here today for us to duke it out. thought i would show you guys what i came up with .

se5-1.jpg se5-2.jpg

I went the "eyeball it" way and mix and matched and resized plans from the mustang and the storch wing plans. it does fly well but is sensitive to CG issues. i am ready to battle!

I also used the Mustang plans to make a BF-109. came out really well, and is my favorite plane. running a 1380kv park480 and a 25c 2200mah this thing is a rocket ship. and i think with the more rounded wing tips and elevators its quicker than the mustang with the same pod.

bf-2.jpg bf-1.jpg

thank you guys again and i cant wait to see what ya'll put together

stangs.jpg stable.jpg

i thought i would add a couple more pictures of my other planes!

Last edited:

BigSix

STORCH.png

That one came out really well actually. My wife did all the black lines on it by hand! she is way more detail oriented than i ;)

really nice man, and that storch kind of reminds me of a Eddie VanHalen charvel.. a paint scheme i've been wanting to do on a plane for a while.

quimney

The answer to the challenge

se5_2.JPG se5_1.JPG
I'm the father in law.... And here is the plane I built to answer the challenge. We have two different approaches, my son and I, He likes to wing it and I like to spend hours upon hours in sketchup before any foam gets cut. After all they don't give the stuff away... they charge a whole dollar for each sheet.

Anyway it was a great challenge and I had a blast. Both planes flew well and in the end it was my ribbon that got cut not his. Nothing to do now but gear up for the next challenge and try to regain my honor.

quimney

I too have to thank everyone associated with this website. BigSix got me into this hobby with the gift of a plane (which I promptly crashed) and I came to Flite Test in search of plans and knowledge. The first Plane I built was the FT3D

ft3d.JPG

Not a great first plane but it was pretty tough and easy to fix.. Then I built the Dusty

Dusty.JPG

I found it easier to fly but I was still shaking the whole time. It was so fast I never had a moment to relax. I decided at that point to study what makes models fly properly and learned sketchup. I designed and built this 30" trainer

Trainer30.JPG

This plane taught me a lot about stability and crash-worthyness :) After 4 revisions I built on that lights up. Nite flying is a hoot!

Trainer30_Nite.JPG

After that came a mustang

Mustang1.JPG

I agree with BigSix, This is a great plane so after I wore the first one out I had to build another.

Mustang2.JPG

I had to try the Baby Blender... Who could resist?

BabyBlender.JPG

Then came a larger version of my high-wing trainer.

Trainer40.JPG

This one is my current favorite... It floats like a glider and still screams down the field when you push the throttle up :D

This website has been so inspirational and informative for me I had to share... I hope BigSix forgives me for hijacking his thread but now you know both sides of the story. It's great to have a shared hobby.

The next challenge has already been set... 40" wingspan that can take off and land on water... not sure how we are going to keep the streamers dry on this one...

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
I'm sorry, but i have to claim Shenanigans! There is no way you two have only been building for a few months.
You're almost worse than NerdNic....

Excellent work! Share your plans and I'm sure you'll have a lot of interest.

Best regards,
PCH

quimney

I'm sorry, but i have to claim Shenanigans! There is no way you two have only been building for a few months.

Best regards,
PCH

Sorry PCH, It was not my intent to mislead anyone. BigSix gave me an Alpha in the spring of last year. After crashing it I learned two things; I was totally captivated by RC flying and I had to find a cheaper way to learn. We both played with Hobbyzone Champs for a little while but quickly found ourselves wanting more. That's when I found Flite Test and learned about foam board planes. I gave BigSix the mustang last Christmas in an attempt to hook him into foamies... It worked!

If we seem to have come along fast I can only say it is a testament to the quality of the people and instruction on this great web site. I just wanted to share what we have done in the hopes it may encourage others to join the hobby as we have. It has been and continues to be a hoot!

Best Regards,
Quimney

BigSix

Best regards,
PCH

It really just goes to show how great this hobby is and how great all the people on this forum are (not to mention Josh and all the rest of the FliteTest guys) i am trying to get as many people into as i can, its good clean fun and if i can do it, anyone can do it.

as for the plans, you're going to have to see quimney about that, my "plans" are usually on napkins that don't make it home :) i am just really good at hoping for the best.

p.s. Quimney, thank you for your help with the cg issue and teaching me how to figure cg out, flies like a totally different plane now. ill sent you the video