Some thoughts on antenna orientation..

SteveRobey

Hi guys,

A similar question came up yesterday on the Facebook group and I took an educated run at an answer, but I thought I would make a similar thread here in case somebody should happen to be looking for similar information but prefers to stay away from Facebook when in search of facts, it's usually a sound plan.

So the original question was "How should I mount my receiver antenna for best reception?" to which a few people quickly answered "Pointing straight down out of the bottom of the aircraft. While that will work, to fit the requirement of "For best reception" it's incorrect. This is because of radiation patterns and the same can be used for both your receiver antennas and FPV antennas as they both have essentially the same radiation pattern.

The radiation pattern of these antennas is basically a doughnut centered axially on the radiation portion of the antenna which you can see in this graphical representation that I swiped from google..
radiation pattern.JPG
So imagine your antenna is running vertically along the X axis in this image, the wireframe shape is the radiation pattern. This is not representative of how far out the radiation pattern goes, just it's general shape. So you can see that we have the most power at the outer edge of the doughnut up to about 20 degrees of horizontal and the lowest amount of radiation or nulls are in the center top and bottom off the ends of the antenna. So pointing your antenna directly up or directly down in an aircraft, you're pointing the null at yourself. Depending on how high up the aircraft is, you could potentially have reception problems. Keep in mind that the antenna on your transmitter has the same radiation pattern but both the ground and the person holding the transmitter actually reflect a portion of that power back up and out. Mounting a receiver antenna sticking directly out of the top of an RC car, boat or other ground vehicle works because the antenna on the vehicle is always going to be more or less broadside the antenna on the transmitter, both with their nulls pointing more or less up and down, so the null will never be pointing directly at you.

With this, it would be generally recommended to mount your receiver antenna parallel to the ground. Mounting the antenna so that it is oriented to the front and back or side to side should not make much of a difference because even if the null is pointing in the direction of the transmitter, the aircraft is also (Hopefully) several feet off of the ground and thus the null would be several degrees above pointing directly at the transmitter. Another thing to consider when mounting your antenna is metal objects that could potentially couple to or interact with the antenna. If the antenna is touching other conductive surfaces, the RF radiation will want to travel along those parts as well, this can cause not only very irregular radiation patterns, but will also cause impedance mismatch and greatly reduce the power that actually leaves the antenna. The rest of that power can end up reflecting back down the antenna and into the radio itself. It sounds bad because it is. This is why you will always see people recommending that you mount your receiver antennas as far away as possible from your FPV antenna. Because they can interact and interfere with each other.

Don't let this scare you away from trying FPV on very small craft though, if they have the lift capacity to carry the extra hardware, there is likely enough room to mount your antennas a safe distance away from each other. The rule of thumb here is that antennas should be mounted a minimum of one quarter wavelength apart at the lowest frequency. Lucky for us, this equipment is fairly high frequency hence the small size of the antennas and thus one wavelength is relatively short. If you're using an older style receiver that uses a crystal, you might not have the same advantage as they are much lower frequency around 11 meters or so. So lets look at the frequencies that are common in 2017 and what their wavelengths are.

Your transmitter and receiver is likely operating at 2.4gHz. One wavelength at this frequency is .125 meters or 4.92 inches (round up to 5 inches). So a quarter of a wavelength would 1.25 inches.

If you're adding FPV gear operating at 5.8gHz, thats a full wavelength of .051 meters or almost exactly 2 inches. So a quarter wavelength there is one half inch.

Now obviously the longer wavelength is the lower frequency of the receiver at an inch and a quarter, so if the two antennas are at least that far apart you should be okay. If you want to be more certain you won't have any issues, you could always space them a full wavelength apart in which case you're still only looking at five inches. Typically I have seen FPV antennas mounted to the end of a small diameter, relatively short piece of co-axial cable and a lot of times something is added to that to make the cable more rigid, making some people think this means that it somehow needs to be "Higher up" and will mount it sticking out of the top of their aircraft. You really don't need to do this at all. You can mount the antenna either flat to your wing or fuselage or even on the under side, but it may be better to mount it inside the fuselage laying on it's side when you consider it will have the same shape radiation pattern as your receiver antenna. If there is room inside the body of the craft to do this. If not, simply mount it in such a way that it will introduce minimal drag to your aircraft and won't get snagged or scrape when landing.

If you are using radio hardware that operates at a different frequency than the two I have addressed above, you can use an online wavelength calculator to determine what your longest wavelength will be and arrange your antennas accordingly. Here is a link to one such calculator, but there are plenty of others available that may give you lengths in more preferable units of measure. This one gives lengths in meters as it is intended to be used for calculations at much lower frequencies such as those typically used for long distance communications in the amateur radio bands.

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/calculators/wavelength-frequency-calculator.htm

So what can you do if you find that you are getting interference in your FPV setup or you have jittering servos? Probably the best thing you can do is add ferrite chokes to the leads of any affected equipment. Basically what tends to happen is that you end up with leads or wires that are at or close to a wavelength or multiple of a wavelength of that of your radio equipment which essentially means that it is working like an antenna. It's receiving radio interference because it is the correct length to do so. You can get snap-on ferrite chokes in a variety of sizes so it should be easy to find ones with an appropriate diameter center hole to fit around your servo leads and whatnot. Adding a choke to both ends of long leads will help to impede any stray RF signals that will be traveling along the outside of the wires. I have read some articles where people have talked about constructing tiny Faraday cages around everything and wrapping all leads in tin or copper foil to combat this and they usually end up frustrated because it doesn't work well and takes a lot of time. Chokes can be added in a matter of a few minutes.

Do research before you buy your equipment and mind the return policy. Check and see what other buyers have to say about a product before you decide to purchase it. The guy selling it is always trying to sell it and might not always mention "By the way, this thing emits RF noise like a Mexican radio station" but people who have purchased it and have had problems with it probably will. If you find you are still getting interference from your equipment after adding ferrites you might just have an FPV camera with a really dirty signal or noisy DC power supply. In these cases, moving things further apart in your aircraft or adding foil probably isn't going to help because everything is being powered by the same source and all of that noise can travel freely along the ground wires to everything.

Research before you buy, test it out, add ferrite chokes and if you're still having problems, hopefully you purchased from a seller that honors returns. When dealing with RF, it is always a good idea to educate yourself on best practices. You can also reference the ARRL handbook or similar resources for information on these subjects or ask an amateur radio operator. Most "Elmers" as they are called have been operating for decades and have learned all about RF and EM interference and what can be done to combat or eliminate it.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Nice but I must say a few things, this will be based on my exeprience with the mini talon so keep in mind it's a stable plane you don't need to bank much.

I think it's better to have the nulls on top and bottom, this way you only get in those area when the plane is directly overhead. If you put them sideways you risk losing all signal when turning the plane a certain direction. Also a lot of radio receivers those days have diversity, im using a FS-I6 radio and IA6B rx on my mini. On the radio one antenna is horizontal in the handle and the other is on top which would be vertical, however as most peoples old their radio flat this gives two antennas being horizontal in a + pattern and as you showed, the torus is more wide than tall so that's not very desirable.
One answer that many peoples do it mount the antenna vertically and have the receiving one vertical too, then leave the other one horizontal and one rx antenna horizontal too. You might getting those out of polarization but it's still better than nothing.

As for FPV the same applies, assuming you won't be flying over your head most of the time having the antennas vertical is better but since most peoples use circular polarization orientation matters less than linear, you only have to worry about the nulls.

However I changed my mini talon to linear antennas, I have a Vee on the TX and a biquad and stick antenna on RX. According to IBCrazy this is setup is good for long range as the biquad is directionnal with a beam of around 50°, it isn't too tilted up to not lose polarisation and I won't bank the plane much as mentionned so this should be fine.

As for miniquads, I assume you won't put them at crazy angles a few kilometers away so I assume that radiation patern isn't too important since you stay rather close to the transmitter.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I'm a firm believer in keeping the antennas vertical. We were out at the field last night playing with a signal meter and a taranis RX with telemetry doing some hide and seek testing last night, and the results back this up. We were playing "Hide the aircraft" and then using a signal meter and the taranis to "find" the aircraft. Aircraft 100 yards away, TX antenna horizontal parallel to ground pointing in any direction would get RSSI warnings and telemetry loss. Vertical had strong signal even with objects in between the TX and the aircraft. Similar results from the signal meter when scanning the VTX. Null zone above you would be a much better scenario as you should not be flying directly overhead under most circumstances. I try to angle my VTX antenna so it is oriented straight up at my normal flying angle.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
About my earlier post I want to add something.
On more than one occasion I have lost an aircraft in tall grass and used my radio to find it back using the RSSI numbers, this even saved my mini talon once when I got lost.
The thing is, I guess the lowest error rate when pointing the "top" antenna (not the handle one) directly towards the plane so this raises one question: How the hell does flyksy telemetry works?

I guess they use both antennas as tx and rx alternatively switching very fast but I have no way to be sure.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I mount my transmitting antennas so the ball has the "holes" directly over the top and bottom. Then I use receiving antennas 90 degrees so the ball "holes" are 90 degrees left and right so the chances of both "holes" over lapping are VERY slim no matter what angle the craft you fly is at.

I had this issue early on with 25 mw FPV stuff where doing loops straight out in front of me going away and looping back at myself would ALWAYS find those "holes" and give a full on drop out. A slight tilt of the receiving antenna cleared a lot of that up so now I use a CP antenna straight up on both the quad and the goggles but use a dipole 90 degrees sideways to cover those few instances needed to keep signal where those "holes" line up.

Bricks

Master member
I'm a firm believer in keeping the antennas vertical. We were out at the field last night playing with a signal meter and a taranis RX with telemetry doing some hide and seek testing last night, and the results back this up. We were playing "Hide the aircraft" and then using a signal meter and the taranis to "find" the aircraft. Aircraft 100 yards away, TX antenna horizontal parallel to ground pointing in any direction would get RSSI warnings and telemetry loss. Vertical had strong signal even with objects in between the TX and the aircraft. Similar results from the signal meter when scanning the VTX. Null zone above you would be a much better scenario as you should not be flying directly overhead under most circumstances. I try to angle my VTX antenna so it is oriented straight up at my normal flying angle.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I do not know a ton about this stuff but I do think your test here is not relevant to antennas orientation being you had the model on the ground and loosing part of the radiation effect of the signal. IMO

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I do not know a ton about this stuff but I do think your test here is not relevant to antennas orientation being you had the model on the ground and loosing part of the radiation effect of the signal. IMO

The part that people are missing when looking at the doughnut is signal polarization. A vertical TX pole antenna sends out a vertically polarized sine wave signal 360 degrees around the antenna. If your RX antenna is vertical, your TX and RX antennas are working in the same plane and will have the best reception. | ~ |

if you tip the TX antenna parallel to the ground, now the chances of your antennas being aligned parallel to each other is greatly reduced and so your signal strength will suffer when they are not working in the same plane. For example: antenna pointed straight out from TX and RX antenna front to back of aircraft: Dead zone straight out from TX antenna, antennas are in alinment when craft is pointing same direction forward and back to from pilot. Craft moving side to side will have the RX 90 degrees from optimal and will see a "." rather than a "~". This alignment is about the worst scenario you could get.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thats why I use a dipole in a diversity receiver to catch more of the signal off the CP when those holes occur. I would use a patch antenna if I was flying much further away then I usually do. The dipole covers a lot of short comings on close in flights for like quads. longer range flights for fixed wing or situations with a lot of blocking going on wont be aided by the dipole the way I use it unless there are a lot of reflections to catch a stronger bounce off something because a dipole is less subjected to canceling effects of matching CP antennas.