Spain drew the drone clasification line

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
The guidelines have been drawn up here about what is and what isn't a drone. A drone is any unmanned aerial vehicle that possesses a camera and filming capabilities, and is for commercial or military use (the former still being illegal). These aircraft have to be specially registered with the air authorities and obide by their rules.

Any aerial vehicle that has camera and/or recording capabilities but is used for sport or recreational/hobby reasons is NOT considered a drone, and enters the classification of "model aircraft", and must therefore follow the rules applying to these vehicles (like fly below 100m, not be used over built up areas, etc.).

So now I can give the news articles hell about nomenclature, as they love to sensationalize everything calling them all drones.

Tactical Ex

Right on, I was about to write a letter to "Popular Mechanics" magazine here in the USA for there recent flub in not recognizing the outcome of the Piker case on March 6 which basically reverse everything the magazine said about what you can and cant do .... AND THATS WHAT THE ARTICLE WAS ABOUT!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Thing is, with the definitions legally established, as far as I'm concerned, they can ban drones to their hearts content!... It won't affect the hobby whatsoever!!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
It's interesting that they don't have "autonomous" in their definition.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's a good plan, but what about filming for money? Or is that just considered commercial and banned outright?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Too bad... There's money to be made shooting video for those that can't get what they want on a budget. I was talking to a buddy today who has a friend shooting commercials from a hex...
Well, not the whole commercial, but most of the scenes are aerial... And some are...indoors!