Spektrum compatible receiver comparison

Duck

I have a couple of Spektrum receivers and was looking at getting another. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good comparison between the different models and the clones. The Spektrum site itself is pretty hard to parse on the differences between models and the older models are not there anymore it appears. I was looking for something along the lines of a table of:

- Range (compared to other models)
- DSMX compatibility
- Channels
- Telemetry support (built in? is this a thing?)
- Reliability (I have heard the Orange RC clones have poor reliability)
- Connector shape (I hate sanding my servo connectors to fit them into my AR610)
- Diversity support

kulens

Good question. I'm also a spektrum user and would be interested about this info too.

I've used the OrangeRx (v2) receiver for the first time with my versacopter build (with s-bus) and I have no issues whatsoever. Before, I only have used the spektrum receivers as I'm with the idea that staying with the original brand should be the best and most reliable combination. But of course, this is an assumption.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Orange Rx and Lemon Rx both generally get favorable marks for their functionality and price. I have 2 Lemons and am very satisfied with them. They are small and lightweight too.

kacknor

Build another!
I've used many of the cheap DSM2 Lemon Rx's for small park flyers and indoor stuff. (Hey, $6 ea for 5 of them, delivered? You bet!).

I've flown them outside too, to normal park distances and had not one issue of signal loss in small planes. For bigger stuff that gets 'Out There' I've stuck with real Spektrum mostly. That said... I've a Super Cub with flaps and ailerons converted to brushless that uses a RedCon 7 channel Rx. No problems. I also used a Lemon DSMX Diversity Rx in a Kunai without issue, and have one in a SeaDuck under construction.

JD

Bricks

Master member
Noticed during Flight Fest world record attempt the Orange receivers seem to be the ones that could not get a good bind before flying so they never got off the ground. I have had two Orange receivers die and not one Lemon yet. Me personally I will take the Lemons over the oranges any day. Neither of these receivers have I experienced a total loss of signal at any distance I fly.

michaelscote

Transmitter Reciever Considerations..

In general, what model tx/rx do you recomend? Do you really need alot of channels? I am kind of amazed of how much selection you have out there, not too sure what I really need in a transmitter/reciever. I am doing Long FPV H Quad Copter. I also am looking into the audio/video transmitter/reciever setup as well.

kacknor

Build another!
Where do you get them 5 for 6$?

Well..... Today it's 41.49 or $8.30 ea for 5 of them directly from Lemon-rx.com. I checked my order history and in Oct 2015 I paid $29.99 shipped for the same thing.

Inflation? Nope. ;(

Still... I recently ordered 6 channel DSMX diversity Rx's from them for about $13, with satellites for $11. Stabilized and telemetry are also a available. Still a bargain.

JD

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
If you want the micros for foamies and smaller planes of which I have 20 Lemons you can get 5 for $25. My nephew and I use these smaller receivers in our Nitro trainer planes and nary a glitch.

Verris

That's strange I just looked. On Feb 10th I bought the same pack

Lemon Rx DSM2 Compatible 6-Channel Receiver (Feather Light, End-Pin) 5 units LM0022 1 US$ 26.00 US$ 26.00

for $26. Right now they show for $37.50 for me.

Bricks

Master member
That's strange I just looked. On Feb 10th I bought the same pack

Lemon Rx DSM2 Compatible 6-Channel Receiver (Feather Light, End-Pin) 5 units LM0022 1 US$ 26.00 US$ 26.00

for $26. Right now they show for $37.50 for me.

That SUCKS I checked just now and you are right I had ordered 5 in January and they were still $25. I guess they figured out they have a good product for the money. Still $6.25 a piece for as reliable they are it still is not a bad price.

kulens

I'm reading not much positive comments on the OrangeRx receivers. But does this also apply to the version 2 line (OrangeRx R.20x V2)? Do people have much better results?

sconner

I'm reading not much positive comments on the OrangeRx receivers. But does this also apply to the version 2 line (OrangeRx R.20x V2)? Do people have much better results?

I've been using OrangeRX receivers for a few years. I probably have 5-6 of them. I've only once had an issue and it was at FliteFest with about 50 other people flying. For the record, I've also gotten one brown out on my legit Spektrum RX (also at FF) Both times recovered quickly enough for me to continue flying. I also flew in the world record attempt and didn't have a single glitch. (DX7 DSM2 TX and OrangeRx R720X V2 RX)

I would have to think that Lemon and Orange RX are probably both just as good as genuine Spektrum. With the exception of QA. I'm sure they don't inspect them and test them as well as Spektrum does before they ship. In my experience, if it arrives working, it will keep working. For me, the cost savings is too great to pass up considering I haven't had one fail yet. Of course I only fly FT planes and foamies. If I had a thousand dollar plane my opinion might be different. :)

sconner

Gazoo

I have used Spektrum, Orange Rx, Lemon Rx and Powerup (Heads Up RC). The only one that I have actually had an issue with was the Spektrum. Let it be known that the Spektrum was my first ever Rx so it may have been treated a little less than carefully.

I like the Lemon personally.

I only fly FT Foam Boards so my trust in the Rx does not need to be very high.

Come to think of it, I also have an Apprentice that has a Spektrum in it that has never had an issue. Of course it probably costs more alone than the rest of my receivers put together.