Spitfire Trainer Build (Complete)

ThatPolishHotdog

Well, it's that time of month again. Time to build another spitfire! I know many don't think "Spitfire" and "trainer" belong in the same sentence, but from experience, the people I train love Spitty's. For a little context, I am the president of my school's aviation club, and every weekend, I teach members the properties of aerodynamics with RC planes (hehe, shameless plug)! This build will by my 3rd Spitfire that will currently be in service.

When I first got into RC flying, I had no one to teach me how to fly, and the Spit was my first successful plane. I taught myself to land and how to do more than just left turns. So as I retire my Old Fogey for training, I am building a Spit as its successor.

Thanks to my awesome engineering teacher and a great engineering course, I have access to a laser cutter, which saves a lot of time.
IMG_0244.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg

OliverW

Legendary member
Well, it's that time of month again. Time to build another spitfire! I know many don't think "Spitfire" and "trainer" belong in the same sentence, but from experience, the people I train love Spitty's. For a little context, I am the president of my school's aviation club, and every weekend, I teach members the properties of aerodynamics with RC planes (hehe, shameless plug)! This build will by my 3rd Spitfire that will currently be in service.

When I first got into RC flying, I had no one to teach me how to fly, and the Spit was my first successful plane. I taught myself to land and how to do more than just left turns. So as I retire my Old Fogey for training, I am building a Spit as its successor.

Thanks to my awesome engineering teacher and a great engineering course, I have access to a laser cutter, which saves a lot of time. View attachment 194717 View attachment 194717
Love it! I have one next in my build queue after I finish my grunjet

ThatPolishHotdog

IMG_0247.jpeg

tail surfaces connected

IMG_0245.jpeg

IMG_0246.jpeg

Wing halves done. I use elmer's blue-gel in the score cuts that form the airfoil. Takes a while to dry, but is much lighter and stronger than hot glue.
Also hot glued down the front undercamber wingtips.

IMG_0248.jpeg

Tail attached to fuselage, and formers in. We're basically a third the way there!