STEM - Rant (and cry for help)

Boomfiziks

I apologize...I need to let off some steam.

I'm a high school teacher that has worked hard the past few years trying to get a STEM/STEAM program at my school. A couple of years ago, I came across FliteTest and got the idea of trying to start up a RC flying STEM program (shortly before FT-STEM started). Last year, after many grants and proposals, I finally received enough money and the okay from my school's administration to start the RC Aeronautics STEAM program. Everything has been great, Flite Test have been very supportive, the students and staff love the class. Before flying, I set aside some of the money to register the students' planes with the FAA. My administration sent me an email stating that the school's insurance does not cover "drones". My administration wanted to know if I was registering drones (thinking they are envisioning multirotors). I told them that the students built airplanes (FT-Trainer and Explorers). I got another email stating that since these are unmanned vehicles, they fall into the same category as "drones" and therefor cannot be flown. There is a possibility where they could get such coverage, but they are unwilling to pay the extra amount for that insurance rider.

It's frustrating to work so hard to get this program off the ground, to see the students work so hard and their excitement, and now they will not be able to see their hard work take flight.

I haven't told my students yet. In the meantime, I'm trying to gather up some resources that may help support our cause. If anyone has any ideas, resources, or directions...I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks for listening and I apologize for the rant.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Would the school be able to pay for AMA memberships? The AMA insurance would supplement the school's insurance and fill the gap.

Could the students' parents agree to damages and risk and do it off site after school?

Could you contact the school's insurance provider and explain the situation and see how they feel about it given details?

abieex

Mentor
I believe the students planes are actually already covered by their parents home owners insurance. AMA is always the secondary insurance. Possibly contact Jake Marshall at Mesa to find out how he handled this. Good luck!

jtrops

My school let us do it with the AMA insurance. I should look into this, but if the primary school insurance doesn't cover unmanned rc flying wouldn't the AMA insurance kick in as the secondary source?

Anyway, Student AMA memberships are free (under 19yo). The school AMA charter is also free because of the MASC program, and that includes the teacher/sponsor of the student club. So, we have flying site insurance through the AMA, and all students have their individual AMA insurance as well.

We do have to comply with the AMA rules for flying at the school, and each bird has to have the AMA number, as well as the FAA number. Also, any student who wishes to fly at school has to have their AMA number registered as a member of our club with the MASC program at AMA in order to fly.

I'll be watching this thread to see if there's anything I need to be doing differently. I will say that the AMA has been very helpful when I have had questions, so it may be worth it to call them and see if they can help you navigate these issues.

earthsciteach

Sorry to hear your dilemma. This is all part of the hysteria that has been whipped up over "drones." If I were you, I would contact someone at AMA and explain the situation. Once you have adequate info from AMA, then go to admin and present your case and the AMA insurance option. Hopefully, they will be amenable. If not, maybe the parents can put pressure on the school. As a last resort, you guys may have to find a place to fly off of school grounds.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow! This thread is right where I need it. Just yesterday I presented the idea to the principal of converting our 4th & 5th grade math club (that I run) into a STEM club. He was all for it but let me know that when things get presented to the board there are often hurdles. So I was looking at the curriculum again today looking to get all my ducks in a row and hadn't even thought about, gasp, liability. I'd best have that answer ready for sure. I wonder what most other places are doing.

Thank you for your timely rant.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yep, get the students to sign up for a free ama membership as requirement for the class. We did that with an after school program my rc club helped with.

Heh, the kids had to sign up for ama and we had to submit a CORI/SORI background check.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Did you explain to the members (my name for fear mongers having been tactfully removed after proof reading) on the board that one of the main reasons for teaching them to fly in an organised class is so they learn not to do what the other idiots do that made them think that way.

Tell them that safety is a very high priority within the actual functioning hobbyists (not including the ones getting a drone intentionally to do stupid things with). Then point them and if possible their insurance representative to Flite Test and our community here LIVE at a meeting and let them see what the REAL hobby and community is all about. Who knows maybe you can snag a few of them to give it a try in the process.

I am sure there are MANY people here willing to address any questions they may have to let them see what normal people use the hobby for.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Vetting is good.

Yep, get the students to sign up for a free ama membership as requirement for the class. We did that with an after school program my rc club helped with.
Good tip. Thanks.

Did you explain to the members (my name for fear mongers having been tactfully removed after proof reading) on the board that one of the main reasons for teaching them to fly in an organised class is so they learn not to do what the other idiots do that made them think that way.

Tell them that safety is a very high priority within the actual functioning hobbyists (not including the ones getting a drone intentionally to do stupid things with). Then point them and if possible their insurance representative to Flite Test and our community here LIVE at a meeting and let them see what the REAL hobby and community is all about. Who knows maybe you can snag a few of them to give it a try in the process.

I am sure there are MANY people here willing to address any questions they may have to let them see what normal people use the hobby for.
All true, nevertheless they will want and need to know that I am part of the solution and not part of the problem. I and the curriculum should rightly be vetted.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Drag em in here kickin and screamin if ya have to Ill step up and vouch for you. That and twenty dollars will get you a coffee but hey its the thought that counts right?

jtrops

I highly recommend contacting the AMA. Talk to Julia about making your class into an AMA "Model Aviation Student Club (MASC)." Also, you can just download the MASC information packet from the AMA website that includes all of the paper work and forms. The packet alone was enough to convince my school that it was legitimate, and that safety was built into the program.

We also work with the local AMA club, and they allow us to use their field for off campus flying days. If I was going to try starting up a class like you are proposing the AMA would be my first call.