Stingray 500 review and hope for a flite test scratch build Challange!

Talon2535

First of love your channel because of it me and my son started your swappable series and are now building foam planes together so thank you for your awesome father son project. That being said i love the multi rotors and just drooled all over my keyboard when the review for the stingray came out but that price tag is a bit much. i have seen some diy VPP quads and even hobbyking eluded to working on one using the kk2 board. i was wondering if the mad engineers at Flite test could build one and maybe do a scratch build on it. What do you say guys VPP Quad Scratch Build Challange?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Welcome to the forum, Talon! That is a very cool idea! I'd love to see more of the variable pitch stuff even some for the 3D planes.

Talon2535

I could see something done with say one of there rotor bones frames the simplest to build would be a multi motor using the setup from a heli tail section for the VPP then it would be down to the programming.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm thinking that the single motor was needed for simplifying something that could easily run to too many channels. One motor means throttle up is just one channel then the mixes are done to control the variable pitch rather than the motors for yaw, pitch and bank control. I'm wondering how a KK2 would react with servos plugged into the motor ports instead of ESC's, to control the VPP on it's own? I bet it could work...probably need some tweaking in the mixer editor, for sure, but, still...

Talon2535

doing some google searches the multi motor vpp quads seem to be more popular among the people building them. if i understand right the reason the stingray was build with just the one motor was for more performance on the battery end with only one high voltage draw he can get more power what longer flight times. with 4 motors it uses more juice so you need a bigger batter meaning it handles more sluggishly. but that being said it is a far more complicated project to build a single motor quad on the programming side. also hobbyking eluded to building one for market using 4 motors and a kk2 board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34664 so it seems like we might just have to waite if we want a buy and fly but i would really like to see a challenge based on this before David leaves it would be awesome.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I would think that there is not much difference in 1 motor or many motors for overcoming gravity per unit of mass. The amount of energy to overcome gravity for say 16 oz of weight should be the same regardless of number of number of motors. Only added efficiency losses should be considered. Also 1 motor turning 4 sets of blades must still produce the same power as 4 motors would to lift the craft. Belting for drive is also somewhat inefficient in most cases as well. From the actual flight time he stated he is getting no better flight times than most 4 motor crafts.

Thurmond

Talon2535

i really would like to see more VPP quads single motor or multi it really seems like the next step in multi rotor systems