Help! A Couple Questions for Beginner Before Buying (Updated with final build and flight)

Scrivner

Hello All,

I want to get into RC flying and I've been watching Flite Test vids on YouTube and browsing this forum. I've got a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

1) For learning to build/fly is the Flite Test Tiny Trainer Get Started Package a good recommended place to start in your opinion? If not what do you suggest? If so, is there anything additional you would suggest getting or swapping out? For example and extra battery? Or getting a 3-cell instead of the 2-cell that comes with the package?

2) I know this is getting ahead of things, but after learning on a trainer, would the FT Spitfire be ok an next step or is it too advanced? In one of the FT YouTube videos where they were demonstrating the Spitfire they kept mentioning how easy it was to fly and that it would be good for beginners, but only saying this in casual conversation amongst themselves.

3) I keep seeing "DTFB" which I think means "Dollar Tree Foam Board". I dropped by my store one today to check what they had. They had a few different colors and it was branded as "Readi-Foam". Is this is what people mostly use to do their scratch builds? Will any foam board from any other store be an acceptable substitute?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can share their advice and wisdom!
-Scrivner

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
1 -> that is a good starter kit, the only thing I am not thrilled about is the TX that comes with it, you will eventually need a programming cable and your computer to get it to have different models and to setup future stuff. I do have some spectrum TXs and they work well, but I haven't been able to compare them to anything yet. If your really sure you want to get into the hobby fully, spending a bit more today (or at least getting a more feature rich TX/RX setup), will save you from re-purchasing tomorrow.

2 -> depends how much time you spend learning on the Tiny trainer. Bigger planes tend to be more stable all else the same (higher moment of inertia). Doesn't look like they have the flying difficulty listed on the plans like they do some of the newer designs, so I can use that to help.

3 -> there is the Adam's readi-foam that is about 115g for a full sheet, there is Ross which is about 130g a full sheet, and there are some other brands that run about 230-250g a full sheet. They will all work, but the 'heavy' brands will make it hard to get your CG correct and your craft will have a higher stall speed from being heavier.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Tiny is an excellent choice for a new starter. The Spitfire is easy to fly for a war bird, but not that easy that you can progress from Tiny trainer to Spitfire. That's a big jump basic trainer to low wing warbird, might I suggest you look at an intermediate plane between Tiny and Spitfire. Something like the Scout is a good transition from a basic trainer to intermediate, but it's still forgiving enough for a novice to handle. Maybe even the Storch which has great slow speed and is a decent size too, which is important when your starting off.
I would also look at the FT Flyer as a first plane, easy to build (virtually one sheet of foam) and easy to fly. If and when you get bored of it and progress the power pods transferable to another model. It makes a great little park flier and will help you master the basics (y)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I forgot the FT Explorer is another intermediate plane to consider. Pusher style planes are great for learning on as the motor isn't the first point of impact when the plane hits the ground nose first (y)
Great for learning to glide too and it should be slow and docile enough to make handling easy. I've never built or flown one myself but I have a couple of similar style planes the AXN floater from Hobby king or the Bixler, both are the same design as the explorer and great fun to fly.
Worth considering.

Corsair714

Tiny is an excellent choice for a new starter. The Spitfire is easy to fly for a war bird, but not that easy that you can progress from Tiny trainer to Spitfire. That's a big jump basic trainer to low wing warbird, might I suggest you look at an intermediate plane between Tiny and Spitfire. Something like the Scout is a good transition from a basic trainer to intermediate, but it's still forgiving enough for a novice to handle. Maybe even the Storch which has great slow speed and is a decent size too, which is important when your starting off.
I would also look at the FT Flyer as a first plane, easy to build (virtually one sheet of foam) and easy to fly. If and when you get bored of it and progress the power pods transferable to another model. It makes a great little park flier and will help you master the basics (y)
I'd have to disagree I went from a tiny trainer to flying crazy aerobatic planes with no issue. The spitfire is a great second plane in my opinion.

Corsair714

1 -> that is a good starter kit, the only thing I am not thrilled about is the TX that comes with it, you will eventually need a programming cable and your computer to get it to have different models and to setup future stuff. I do have some spectrum TXs and they work well, but I haven't been able to compare them to anything yet. If your really sure you want to get into the hobby fully, spending a bit more today (or at least getting a more feature rich TX/RX setup), will save you from re-purchasing tomorrow.

2 -> depends how much time you spend learning on the Tiny trainer. Bigger planes tend to be more stable all else the same (higher moment of inertia). Doesn't look like they have the flying difficulty listed on the plans like they do some of the newer designs, so I can use that to help.

3 -> there is the Adam's readi-foam that is about 115g for a full sheet, there is Ross which is about 130g a full sheet, and there are some other brands that run about 230-250g a full sheet. They will all work, but the 'heavy' brands will make it hard to get your CG correct and your craft will have a higher stall speed from being heavier.
I agree completely here. The tx is pretty bad. I'd recommend getting something like a flysky i6. Honestly I think it'd be best if you purchased all the electronics separately. You'd save a lot of money.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Think the Spitfire was my 5th foamboard build: Flyer was first, Tiny 3ch then 4ch, Simple Cub then Spitfire. I've only struggled flying 3 of my planes the Tiny Cub, Ft Delta and Versa wing. All the rest I have flown without too much trouble, although I have a fair bit of experience under my belt with balsa and IC planes before getting into foam board.
Suppose its down to plane set-up and build quality more than anything, but if you get the muscle memory and technique you can progress quite quickly.
Unfortunately I have seen some learners start off crashing a lot, then get disheartened and give up. So I always urge anyone new to the hobby to take it slow and build up experience through practice before progressing to quickly.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I agree completely here. The tx is pretty bad. I'd recommend getting something like a flysky i6. Honestly I think it'd be best if you purchased all the electronics separately. You'd save a lot of money.
That I totally agree with buying everything separate you get big savings, check out Banggood or Aliexpress for RC gear they are lot cheaper (y)
The Flysky transmitter is an excellent starting point too.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
is the Flite Test Tiny Trainer Get Started Package a good recommended place to start ........
If so, is there anything additional you would suggest getting or swapping out? .........
would the FT Spitfire be ok an next step or is it too advanced? ..........
I keep seeing "DTFB" which I think means "Dollar Tree Foam Board".......
Is this is what people mostly use to do their scratch builds?
Will any foam board from any other store be an acceptable substitute?
I don’t think you will be happy with the Tx in the package or the battery charger. The Tx is junk, it has no model memory and you need to hook it to a computer to change the settings. For the same price or less you can get far more capable Tx. The charger is only 25W & charges through the balance plug. It will take forever to charge a larger pack. I’m a fan of the iMax B6 charger.

The TT is a very capable plane, if you can fly it inverted across the field, you will be able to handle the Spitfire or most any other plane you want.

You are correct DTFB stands for Dollar Tree Foam Board, also known as Adams Ready Board. This is the “original” FT foam board. I have built all of my planes from this stuff. I also use Ross’s foam board from Walmart. When you pickup a sheet, you will instantly be able to tell by the weight if you have the right stuff. The other brands are much heavier.

Adams & Ross are nearly identical, I use both interchangeably. The main difference, if you want to peal the paper off, use Adams. Ross paper is very difficult to remove.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
regardless of all other things purchase a dozen props, a spare motor or two and of course a few spare power pods.

Everyone crashes and beginners can total a plane before they get it to fly properly.
Accept this fact and get enough parts, glue and packing tape to keep it airborne long enough to be able to learn.

maybe your second or third plane will last long enough to be decorated and remain the same shape it was designed to be.

Never give up just patch it up and try again.

Have fun!

Scrivner

Thanks everyone! You all have been a great help!

I had thought I would buy the Tiny Trainer bundle to ensure that I would get everything I needed without the risk of accidentally buying something that wasn't compatible. But I did have a look at the Flysky i6X and I like it better than the Spektrum DSX plus it's a lot cheaper. The battery and bundled charger seemed underpowered also. So here's what I am thinking of going with. Please let me know if you see something here that won't work together:

FT Tiny Trainer Quick Build
FT Power Pack A
Flysky FS-i6X w/FS-iA6B Receiver
Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C (11.1V/850mAh) w/XT-30 Connector (upgraded from the 2s in the bundle)
SkyRC iMax B6 Battery Charger (@Merv - is that the correct brand? Looks like there are a lot of knock-offs on Amazon).

Also thanks for the advice on the Spitfire question. So it's a good warbird beginner plane. Got it. So I probably need to at least feel comfortable with something between the trainer and the Spit before I move up. (Although I don't know if I can wait that long to at least go ahead and build and paint it! :cool:)

Zinga

regardless of all other things purchase a dozen props, a spare motor or two and of course a few spare power pods.

Everyone crashes and beginners can total a plane before they get it to fly properly.
Accept this fact and get enough parts, glue and packing tape to keep it airborne long enough to be able to learn.

maybe your second or third plane will last long enough to be decorated and remain the same shape it was designed to be.

Never give up just patch it up and try again.

Have fun!

100% agree with Bob.

Simple foam board builds are the way to go. High wing trainers or anything with a gentle/forgiving flight characteristic. You'll crash so the easier they are to repair or rebuild the better. Grab a good hot glue gun, array of rulers, decent box cutter and plenty of foam board sheets. Enough rod and clevis's for control linkages. Extra servos as you'll strip gears sometimes when crashing.

If you can over power it, IMO thats better. As a beginner you'll probably instinctively pitch up at low speeds/altitude and in panic and without power it'll stall. With power (and applied) it'll just pull. Extra power can get you out of trouble.

The FT Spitfire is a beautiful plane to fly. Add a 10x6 prop, 3536 motor, 40A esc, 2200 4 cell and let it rip!

If your learning solo find the biggest field away from populous areas and work out the kinks there. You'll encounter alot of "different" types in this hobby and some guys can kill your confidence. I still remember how elated I was on my first loop - you have that experience and alot more to look forward to!

Enjoy the journey !

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks everyone! You all have been a great help!

I had thought I would buy the Tiny Trainer bundle to ensure that I would get everything I needed without the risk of accidentally buying something that wasn't compatible. But I did have a look at the Flysky i6X and I like it better than the Spektrum DSX plus it's a lot cheaper. The battery and bundled charger seemed underpowered also. So here's what I am thinking of going with. Please let me know if you see something here that won't work together:

FT Tiny Trainer Quick Build
FT Power Pack A
Flysky FS-i6X w/FS-iA6B Receiver
Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C (11.1V/850mAh) w/XT-30 Connector (upgraded from the 2s in the bundle)
SkyRC iMax B6 Battery Charger (@Merv - is that the correct brand? Looks like there are a lot of knock-offs on Amazon).

Also thanks for the advice on the Spitfire question. So it's a good warbird beginner plane. Got it. So I probably need to at least feel comfortable with something between the trainer and the Spit before I move up. (Although I don't know if I can wait that long to at least go ahead and build and paint it! :cool:)
I'd personally get an 850 2s lipo as well. From my experience, more power as a beginner makes things happen faster, and things go south faster. Something slow gives you more reaction time.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
As another noob, make sure you buy extra props. My Tiny Trainer ate them for quite awhile. Then fly, fly, fly. Once you can fly and land the trainer consistently without repairing the power pod or wing then it's time for your next plane. One that hasn't been mentioned is the DR1. I've found it to be very docile at low throttle and will make you grin every time you fly.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
.....Tattu 3s LiPo Battery 75C ....... w/XT-30 Connector.....
.... SkyRC iMax B6 Battery Charger ...... Looks like there are a lot of knock-offs on Amazon .....
The 75C battery is way overkill, it will work just fine, you just don’t need it. If your ESC also has an XT30, it will work.
To calculate the amps a battery can supply take the mah/1000 x C Example: a 850mah 75C battery can supply 63.75a (850/1000 x 75 = 63.75). If your motor is rated for 20 amps. You battery & ESC should be rated slightly higher, say 25 amps.

I always get the cheapest iMax B6 I can find, I’m sure they are knockoffs. They have worked for me.

Corsair714

The 75C battery is way overkill, it will work just fine, you just don’t need it. If your ESC also has an XT30, it will work.
To calculate the amps a battery can supply take the mah/1000 x C Example: a 850mah 75C battery can supply 63.75a (850/1000 x 75 = 63.75). If your motor is rated for 20 amps. You battery & ESC should be rated slightly higher, say 25 amps.

I always get the cheapest iMax B6 I can find, I’m sure they are knockoffs. They have worked for me.
I say getting the highest c rating you can is a good idea. It won't hurt anything to go way over, all it means is less sag in the voltage when your flying. So I think 75 C is just fine.

Corsair714

Also if you're getting a power pack. Get power pack F. It has a slightly beify motor and it's actually five dollars cheaper currently to get it.

I really think you should go on banggood and save yourself a bunch of money there though. It's up to you. I just did a quick some of how much it'd cost you to order that stuff from banggood and is comes out to under $40 USD.