Successor after Delta Ray with very durable landing gear

lahannsven

Hi folks,

my son (11 years) flies the Delta ray very well. We are looking for a successor plane with a very durable landing gear.
We fly usually in the next woods 5 minutes from our house. The fields have high grass and the terrain is very uneven.

The Delta Ray has a very simple landing gear and never broke anything. My son has this plane already for several years. He flys only with me in company.

I also thought about belly landings, but then often the propeller breaks or splitters.

Do you guys have similar experience with your kids ? I also thought to upgrade the Delta Ray to brushless. But normally a new plane would come cheaper.

Sven

lahannsven

Just to add: I studied the YouTube videos from Brian Philipps about the brushless upgrade of the Delta Ray. Has anybody seen these videos or knows, if these brushless upgrades are durable ?

If I upgrade the Delta Ray, I would take the Emax 1806 2280KV motors with 5x4.5 3 blade propellers. This had been already suggested in a previous thread. I'm just pushing on this, because I need something solid for my son (11 years).

But I would favorise a new electric plane with very durable landing gears.

kdobson83

I would just go with a belly lander. You might break a prop every once in awhile but they cost $1-2 a piece. If you get a wing or a pusher style you'll have even less chance. I've had a FT Mini Arrow for over a year now, well over 100 batteries flown through it, have had 2 MAJOR crash's, and still using original prop.

But if you have to have a new plane, something you guys can grow with, I'd reccomend the HobbyKing Tundra or the Horizon Timber. Both are the same style of high wing plane with 'bush' style heavy duty landing gear. Both of with should be fairly easy to fly and both use common batteries and should be able to find ample spare parts for should you or he crash. Personally, the HobbyKing Tundra is on my list to buy.
Don't know where you live and what kind of foam you have available but you could scratch build with him too. Build the Mini Arrow. Very simple build, uses cheap easy to find quad electronics, they fly amazing, and you'll never brake a prop. Lol

Good luck.

lahannsven

The Tundra looks quite interesting, whereas the Mini Arrow doesn't seem to be a beginner plane.

I also saw on YouTube the Conscendo or Radian, which have flexible props. Does anybody have experience with kids of my son's age ?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If he is able to fly the delta well then he should be able to handle the arrow as long as the rates are low. Another great choice as a belly lander is the FT Mini guinea. It was my first FT plane and it flew from summer of 2015 till FFE 2016 until it was killed by an arrow in a combat. It was my second plane and I have crashed it in so many different ways and it still flew great, crash after crash. Plus unless you run into something the props almost never break, unless it's a pole lol.

lahannsven

Hi foamtest,

I rather look for a Super Combo, where everything is included.
Normally the Delta Ray is a super plane for a kid. It’s only weekness are the brushed motors.
If I have to build everything myself like the Mini Guinea, I rather upgrade the Delta Ray.
Brian Philipps used the Lemon receiver with stabilizer. The motor would be Emax 1806 2280kv, 2 ESC’s 18A and 3S battery 1300mAh.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
A building Fool's Two-cents.

@lahannsven - I'm with Foamtest & Kdobson83 I would aim for a Ft-Mini Arrow Style RTF Epp wing like THIS ONE or a high pusher like the FMS Easy trainer will keep you from killing the prop as does a belly lander (or even solid nose lander like the Ft Explorer, or mini Guinea) where the plane protects the prop. The EPP is very important here as it is far less likely to bust in a crash.

And the pusher EPP wing like from Ready Made RC. Same ideas as discussed by a RTF pre-done option.

Many of us in this forum gain great joy from the designing/building aspect of the hobby (understanding it isn't for everyone) and to that end will try very hard to get you to try it. Me I'm a building fool, so I get the plea. But I know some folk find little joy in it.

You do you and what's right for your Child. It's just great they get to enjoy the hobby with you.

kdobson83

The FT Arrow is a very easy to fly plane. Strictly bank and yank. Yeah, it won't correct itself like a plane with gyros or dihedral, but it doesn't take long to get use to it. I had very minimal experience before I built my arrow and now I'm flying inverted and doing all kinds of tricks with it. The motor and battery you have are the exact same I use. It's not super fast and is fairly light. Like Foamtest said, set your rates fairly low, add some expo in, like 20-30% and it's pretty docile. Quick build, quick repair too.
My vote is still with the Tundra or Timber if you want RTF.

kdobson83

Oh, and that motor pairs VERY well with a 5x4x3 prop. Lots of power with minimal amperage. Uses less amps that a 6045 prop but with about the same thrust.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
lahannsven, when I was your sons age I had a Hobbyking Bixler 1.1. I had it for almost a year and it just wouldn't die! I flew it from a very rocky paddock and just put extreme packing tape on the belly and leading edges and it went fine.

Abe

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I think I know what you should do

Try building an ft sportster without gear (you said you have tall grass so that should be safe) I had a delta ray and after that, the ft mini sportster was my first successful plane. Suggestions- get a good radio that can handle at least 6 channels and expo, next build a sportster or the mini version without gear, last, fly! I am still fairly young in middle school and I love doing stunts, so when I first flew the mini sportster I knew it was for me (just saying but if this is a first build, get a kit). The plane lasted a while but I said, I like stunts so I tried new things and I went into an inverted spin and forgot to hit the rudder, so the plane got turned into this 3620AF3A-CC4D-4DF0-9017-59C1ECEC56E7.jpeg happily though, that led to my first successful design C0F6ED0A-B30F-4BD7-BA58-0D762DC85643.jpeg I hope this helps you in your decision for a new plane

lahannsven

Thanks a lot for all your replies !!

It gives me some ideas.

Very interesting looks the suggested Hobbyking Bixler, now with the new version 3.

I also looked on a YouTube video from Flitetest on the Bixler 3, where young kids evaluated the model. The Bixler models can be purchased RTF and are not too expensive.

The other approach with the DIY type models, could be interesting when my son will construct the model himself. This will not be before two years.

Sven

lahannsven

Hi foamtest,

thanks for your offer. My son already constructed gliders without motor.
But I don't give him yet motorized equipment.

The RTF Hobbyking models (Bixler 3) seems better for now, to be an addition to our existing Delta Ray.
On the flying field my son is always in company with me.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Below are pictures of my beaten and abused but still working Mini Arrow -Build 2. For reference and to show you why everyone goes recommend the Mini Arrow.

I have literally nose-dived (dove??) it from 70ft up. Or, on a high speed pass with a wrong sided tilt I tried a pull-up roll-out turn, instead I did a roll-in and pulled straight down nose first into the dirt at 60 mph. XD. Picked it up and flew it some more.

MA-Nose.JPG
MA-Rear.JPG
MSAUnderside.JPG

It still flies like a dream!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
I did really like my Bixler, and with a bit of researching was able to assemble and maiden it on my own (I was 11 and it was my second plane after the Duet)

Abe

lahannsven

Thanks Userofmuchtape&glue,

I think the Bixler is an ideal beginner plane and FLITE TEST has a lot of YouTube videos on that.

My son already builds planes and he understands the servo concept. But I'm only scared to give him the motor (a kid's fingers can be cut off fast).

On the flying field I can fully survey my son, and I'm astonished about his precise flying skills. He already lands on a very narrow road in the fields.

User manuals recommend a beginning age of 14. Therefor I have to hide all the motorized equipment in our house. Kids underestimate the danger and try to work then alone in the basement.

I have DIY models in my mind, but it will come later.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Just a recommendation for the motor issue, I would let him build the plane, motor and all, but just hide all of the batteries that can power the motor. Just leave a few small 1s lipos around so he can center the servos, but nothing that can power the motor. That way he can build the plane completely but he can't hurt himself with the motor, until you get to the field to fly of course. Or you can go with the way that I learned that props hurt by showing him the FT video where they chew stuff up with small quad motors.

And maybe a little more encouragement from a small hubsan x4 drone....

Either way I have not hurt myself with a prop yet, I would teach him the dangers and the consequences of messing up, then teach him how to be safe with them. Let him know what to do, and what not to do, and if you feel comfortable after this lesson then go for it, if not then just hide the batteries.

But that's just my 2 cents

lahannsven

Finally we acquired now the Eflite Timber with AS3X and Safe system.
It is the perfect plane for my 11 year old son.
Although having 6 channels, my son learned it fast. Maiden flight was on a windy day with boosts of 20mph.
The plane is very forgiving and does not stall, if you are too slow. It rather sails then.
My son had several times the motor complete off.
It is not a very fast plane. With the large tires, it rather favors grass landings.
We took lower Dual Rates and High Expo.
The manual suggests here 70% for a beginner and we took 30% Expo.
We used half flaps for landing and take off.

Assembly was easy. The elevator and rudder had to be adjusted. It pays out to center the servos.
Otherwise AS3X and Safe system don’t work correctly.

lahannsven

We changed elevator Dual rate to 95% with Expo 45%. This is better for landings, to get the plane down.

One negative thing about the Timber plane is the battery tray, which in my opinion is too close to the propeller.
Therefor I never let my son handle the plane on the ground. After landing, he gives me the transmitter and I personally switch the battery.

The typical accident situation would be: one holds the transmitter and the other one checks the propeller !!! Don't do it !!!!!