Suggestion: Episode regarding brushless motors and esc´s.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I have burned up motors running them up without a prop. They are designed to operate under a load, and running without a load allows them to exceed operational specs.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Not sure, but isn't it best to not run the motor for too long not flying as there is not enough cooling over the motor and ESC? (Or is that with just EDF's?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Not sure, but isn't it best to not run the motor for too long not flying as there is not enough cooling over the motor and ESC? (Or is that with just EDF's?

That is a point.

You are running in brushed motors without prop - in water - that is cooling!
The brushes needs to get a run in to get their shape and that is best to do without any load.

No motor should be run outside the specs (for an extended time) but for a brushless motor the spec is wiiide....
The only reason to run a brushless motor without a prop is because of the danger when setting up electronics before flying.
I am always using a servo tester when checking the rotation direction of my motors before putting on the heat shrink on the wires between the ESC and motor. I dont use bullet connectors. The (surprise) problem with reversed throttle output on some radios are not a problem for me as the ESC never will start when powered at max throttle.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I have burned up motors running them up without a prop. They are designed to operate under a load, and running without a load allows them to exceed operational specs.

Then the motor was dodgy:p a brushless motor has a top rpm based on it's kv and the voltage you're running it on. If a motors max rpm is 10,000, it will try to get to that rpm (on full throttle) regardless of the prop on it. The danger is putting a prop which is too big on, which will draw too much current and make the motor "squawk" at you.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
OFF TOPIC
You learn something every day:D
I checked the word dodgy - (brittish) same as (us) shady.
Of questionable legality
Disreputable
Anyhow - many recommend not to put the propeller on until everything else is checked on a new plane.
I have never burned a motor (not counting running a speed 400 on 3 cell LiPo resulting in the disappearance of the brushes followed by brown smoke after some minutes of fun flying with an easystar).

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
A new example of a useful combination of motor esc and battery.
This example is in a Flair Sopwith Pup weight 3,6 kg - 8 lbs.
Recommended motor .46 glow
The electric setup is :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...y_G46_Brushless_Outrunner_670kv_46_Glow_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__2166__TURNIGY_Plush_60amp_Speed_Controller.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9264__Turnigy_3000mAh_4S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html
The plane flies about 12 minutes on 2000 mAh, does loops and other aerobatics.
111231-10b.JPG