Suggestion for 1 transmitter to use with multiple aircraft

dwp

Hello Flite Test members!!

I use to be in r/c several years when 72 mhz radios were the only choice. I'm getting back into r/c flying electric airplanes and helicopters.

I would like to get your suggestions and comments for the best computerized radio transmitter that will handle multiple models, easy to program, and won't break the bank.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
What's "Won't break the bank" mean to you? you've gotten models before, so hopefully you're used to the price curves, but are we talking under $300? $200? $100? $50?!?

There are pretty good options for each bracket (well, except the <$50 for programmable).

Also are you leaning more toward scratchbuilt? Pre-assembled Kit? Everything but the TX?

Any biases against OEMs?

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

dwp

i'm willing to spend $500--$700 on the transmitter. The models that have been most appealing to me are arf's, bind and fly, like FMS,,e-fliite,, or Blade heilicopter.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
i'm willing to spend $500--$700 on the transmitter. The models that have been most appealing to me are arf's, bind and fly, like FMS,,e-fliite,, or Blade heilicopter.

Plenty of GREAT radios in that range.
The DX9 (Spektrum) will bind to the eflite and blade series and is likely to enough radio that you will not outgrow.
The newer DX6 is also an excellent radio, holds 250 models and has enough capabilities to keep you going for a while.

dwp

I agree...RoyBro. That would be my limits. I've been away from the hobby so long, it's just that I don't know which radios to consider. My last radio was 5 channel Futaba. Please share your suggestions!

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.open-tx.org/2013/08/22/opentx-frsky-manual-en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4U4OUcamM

This is a roughly $200 radio. It is completely programmable and customizable. Any switch or pot can be set to control any function. And the mixer is very robust, so whatever it is you want to do, you can do it.

You name it--it can do it. It uses FrSky's ACCST technology, which gives clear LOS ranges out to 1 km plus on standard dipole antennas. There are a wealth of receivers available at various price points. It has two-way telemetry so the transmitter can warn you if you are going out of range or flying into interference, and you can set alarms on things like battery voltage. Finally, the radio has a JR module slot, so that if you want to fly small bind-and-fly models that come with, for example, Futaba receivers in them, you can buy a Futaba-compatible JR module and put it in the back of the radio and fly them. Finally, the radio is very modular. All of the switches and pots plug into the board so if they break, they can be replaced easily--no soldering. It is, in my opinion, the last radio almost anyone would have to buy.

The Turnigy 9xr or 9xr Pro are good competitors to the Taranis, at a slightly lower price point. Their hardware not quite as polished as the Taranis and it lacks the side pots. Both radios use essentially the exact same software, so that is a wash. The Taranis can actually do up to 32 channels by using its built in radio AND the JR module at the same time--but this is a feature that very few people will ever use.

When I first started getting into the hobby, I was really put off by the price of high-end transmitters. I am a hacker at heart, so I knew that I wanted lots of channels and robust programmability. These radios were a breath of fresh air. I have the 9x (not the 9xr) and have had to do a lot of hacking and soldering on it to basically make it into a Franken-9xr. I have probably $120 into the radio total, and I love it.

I hear about people wanting to do flaperons or whatever, and if their radio doesn't support it--sorry! There is a popular radio from a major manufacturer whose name I don't remember that only supports two mixes total. Two mixes! How will I set up my "half flaps for takeoff, without elevator trim; full flaps for landing, with elevator trim and spoilerons when I flip the aileron switch; pot 3 controls flaps during cruise, with elevator trim, and spoilerons are prohibited from going up during cruise" mix. I can't imagine how limited I would feel on a lower-end radio from a major manufacturer. At the same time, $600, $800 for a transmitter?! That's, like, two whole models I could buy, on top of what I have in my existing transmitter. Forget it.

In addition to Aloft Hobbies, readymaderc.com also sells the Taranis, if you want to comparison shop. I think those are the two main vendors of FrSky stuff in the U.S. I don't know of any others, although I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
+5 for the taranis. There isn't another radio that offers the features quality on the market. No spectrum can come close and you'll spend 3x more and still not get close.

Getfpv.com valuehobbies.com also sell the taranis and parts.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I don't think the Taranis will be the only transmitter we'll ever need. I for once will definitely upgrade to the FrSky Horus when it comes out ;)

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I have a JR 11X, 11 channels, DSMX (so all the bind&fly stuff works), great quality. And I mean quality! In general better than spektrum.

Exactly in the price range you're suggesting, too ;). It's kinda big, so it's great because my hands are fairly large, too. I bought it when my DX6i had problems with the potmeters on the gimbal, and since I'm flying fairly expensive models (700 size helicopter) I don't want to crash because of a faulty radio...

It has great mixing for helicopters, planes and gliders. I've set up a glider once, flying it as a 7-channel (throttle, rudder, elevator, 2x aileron and 2x flaps). Full camber/reflex/crow settings, and I even mixed my flaps with ailerons for crazy roll rates.

dwp

Joshua,

Thank you for the in depth comments! I will definitely check out your suggestions!

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Joshua,
Thank you for the in depth comments! I will definitely check out your suggestions!

I assume that this is what I sound like:

RrKhcRu.jpg

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I prefer X8R or X6R receivers since they can be "ganged" together for more channels if required as well as sending telemetry back to the Taranis but best of all, if your flight controller supports it, only needs one power, ground and signal wire.
Mine came with a NiCad but I prefer LiFePo as they are nowhere near as finicky as the LiPo and seem to last much longer.

Thurmond

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
The FC needs to support the S-Bus, doesn't it? The X8R and X6R don't have PPM AFAIK.

But then there is an S-Bus to PPM adapter available.

earthsciteach

I feel like I need to buy a Taranis. I used to think I was pretty up on things with my Turnigy 9x upgraded with backlight, er9x and FrSky module. Now, all the coolest kids have a Taranis. I wonder how I can sneak this past my wife...