Suggestion for 1 transmitter to use with multiple aircraft

joshuabardwell

Mentor
what receivers and battery packs do you suggest for the Taranis?

A 1500 mAh 3S LiFe pack is commonly used to replace the NiMh pack that comes with transmitters, including the Taranis. Be sure to change your voltage alarm threshold in the software. I have mine set to 9.6 volts because I looked up some voltage curves for LiFe batteries, and it looks like (for a 3S) they typically hang out around 9.9-9.6 volts for a while, and then shortly thereafter, they kind of drop off a cliff and die, which you wouldn't want to happen while you were flying.

You can also use a 3S LiPo with the Taranis. Because the Taranis has a switch-mode voltage regulator, it won't waste the extra voltage as heat, so there isn't a penalty for having an excessively high voltage, like there would be on a radio with a linear regulator.

The main advantage of a LiFe is that it has a very low self-discharge rate. Also, it is much less likely to light on fire if mis-handled. The main advantage of a LiPo is increased energy density. Some LiFe packs are specifically designed for use in transmitters and have a protection circuit that prevents over-discharge/over-charge.

Any of the FrSky receivers should work with the Taranis. I like to use the telemetry receivers so that I get the beeps when my RSSI is starting to get low. Currently, I'm using the D8R-II Plus in my models. I wanted to put the D4R-II in my wing, but it was out of stock.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I feel like I need to buy a Taranis. I used to think I was pretty up on things with my Turnigy 9x upgraded with backlight, er9x and FrSky module. Now, all the coolest kids have a Taranis. I wonder how I can sneak this past my wife...

Teach get her a Michael Kors purse and slip the Taranis inside. "Wow babe" you say when she discovers it. "That purse was a VERY good deal after all. I could use that Taranis if you need some more room in your purse.":p

Unfortunately your new Taranis just cost you about $500+. :(

Thurmond

RoyBro

Mentor
I feel like I need to buy a Taranis. I used to think I was pretty up on things with my Turnigy 9x upgraded with backlight, er9x and FrSky module. Now, all the coolest kids have a Taranis. I wonder how I can sneak this past my wife...

I still love my hacked Turnigy 9x. I fried my first 9x doing the flipped battery connector thing. I ordered a replacement 9x and the day it shipped, I saw a Facebook post saying Hobbyking just got Taranis in stock (keep in mind this was when nobody had them in stock and the best you could do was to get on a waiting list). I let out a wail of anguish and my wife (bless her) told me to order one and use the 9x as a backup. What a gal!

BTW we'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary this month. So I've got a Taranis and an understanding wife who told me to buy it. What more does a guy need?

Well maybe an APM 2.6 flight controller for the hex, oh and more batteries. How about a gimbal? :rolleyes:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Reached 33 years myself in late March this year. Congratulations Mr and Mrs RoyBro. Long marriages seem to be somewhat rare any more.

Thurmond

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I still love my hacked Turnigy 9x. I fried my first 9x doing the flipped battery connector thing.

This bugs me no end. When I got my LiFe, the first thing I did was put the original, polarity protected connector onto it. But, sheesh, for a few pennies, they could put a diode on the battery input and prevent all this sorrow.