Help! Suggestion for a plane with a heavy payload capacity with a wingspan of 1.5 meters and a weight of 1.5 Kg without the payload.

QuarkNova

Hey everyone, I am quite new to the flying hobby. I have made a few models though which includes Mustang P51-D, a couple of gliders , a few Quadcopters and a hexacopter. So talking about fixed wing, I have always relied on plans and built kits so never thought about, the science and basics behind the models. I want to built a single motor fixed wing plane of a total weight of 1500 grams and a wing span of 1.5 meters. I am looking for a top wing configuration but if you have any other configurations that can help a heavy plane let me know. The most important part is that the aircraft should carry maximum weight possible for this configuration.
It would be really helpful if u guys suggest me a design for the above mentioned.

Ive attached a few models i made.

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_162931.jpg
    IMG_20220519_162931.jpg
    11 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220718_204326.jpg
    IMG_20220718_204326.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220831-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220831-WA0012.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like an ambitious project. As with all new pilots, I would encourage you to learn to fly first. We will be able to give you far more help if you start with a known design . FT has a number of trainers that would be a great place to start. After you learn to fly, build the plane of your dreams.

That said the FT Bushwhacker might fit your needs.

joelspangler

Another plane to consider for your requirements would be the Guinea Pig, though like Merv, I'd recommend against starting with such a plane. If you like quads, you could go with something like the Aarow and FPV fly it (it's a fast plane, so I wouldn't recommend starting with this one if you plan on flying LOS. I personally learned on the Tiny Trainer - which took A LOT of hits - I had to rebuild the motor mount about a dozen times, but the rest of the airframe is still in-tact with simple tape (and sometimes hot glue) repairs. If you crash a big 1.5 meter wingspan plane, you will be looking at much more extensive repairs and probably needing to completely replace some sections. The bigger they are - the harder they fall. Bigger does fly more stable though, especially in the wind, but as a beginner fixed wing pilot, you'll want to be flying in 5mp or less winds until you get used to it.

Another option to get in the air quickly would be something like the Horizon UMX Turbo Timber, or the Flitetest Micro Beaver or Adventure. I have the UMX Timber, and it's an excellent and fun plane. You can fly it super slow with flaps, or you can scoot around quite quickly and do a lot of aerobatics. I haven't personally flown the beaver/adventure, but my understanding is they are designed with a denser/heaver foam, so they are sturdier, but you need to keep the flight speed up or you can get into trouble... you can't treat them as gliders.

F.K1999

I think you should have more information about its exact payload weight and dimensions. And basically design the fuselage around it to make your plane both capacious and streamlined. Talking about wing, it would be better to have a top mounted strong and rigid wing with high-lift airfoil, moderate aspect ratio and root chord no less than 200 mm, 300 would be even better. Polyhedral would make it extremely stable, easy to fly and can help you to avoid sudden tip stalls. So it would look like as an oversized trainer plane.
Let me show a couple of my successful designs, capable of lifting some heavy payloads:
The first one is a 1200mm trainer plane. It could lift up to 400 grams (maybe more if it had more powerful engine) and do some long range missions.
4FA88A81-CDDD-4CED-BEFD-11B94B216078.jpeg

D91FF6C3-EF37-41BD-89F5-052573921D76.jpeg

And the second one is my large twin engine plane.
000F55D5-C6D4-4ACB-859C-FB7016EF4A5D.jpeg
E8671A62-D464-4E39-998B-C4A61E895AB7.jpeg
It’s 2 meters long and 1.9 wingspan, basically it was developed around the previous model. Its MTOW is over 3200 grams with 700 grams of payload (it was a competition requirement) and a large battery, but I’m sure if it had a landing gear and a long runway, it could lift more than twice of its current payload. The only limit would be strength of its wing joints.
P.S. and here is a group picture
6E74BF9C-B622-47DA-BF5D-CDDE0B41CDF8.jpeg

Attachments

• 23937FCD-346F-4C8C-A832-1B92CFAEEA49.jpeg
    23937FCD-346F-4C8C-A832-1B92CFAEEA49.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Shurik-1960

The span is 2m . Battery 2200mA 3S, screw 9050.The flight weight is 600grams. Useful wearable weight -1.5 kg. The wings are cut out of ball foam.Reinforced with a carbon tube.