• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Super Easy MOVEABLE tricycle landing nose gear

Have a scratch-build you need to put tricycle landing gear on? Here is a quick and easy solution! If you follow this step by step guide, you will end up with a landing gear setup below:

DSC_0042.JPG

What you need:

DSC_0032.JPG

First, trace your 5-9 gram servo out on a piece of foam board

DSC_0036.JPG DSC_0037.JPG

Cut out your trace

DSC_0039.JPG
It should look similar to this:

DSC_0040.JPG

Next, trace your coffee straw in the middle of the foam board.

DSC_0041.JPG

Your foam board piece should now look like this:

DSC_0062.JPG

Put a 50% score cut along the lines you just traced.

DSC_0063.JPG

Your piece of foam board should look like this now:

DSC_0064.JPG

Bend the piece of foam along the score cut lines and remove the middle strip of foam:

DSC_0066.JPG DSC_0067.JPG

Put a section of the straw where the strip of foam was before.

DSC_0068.JPG

Take it out then put glue in the slot....

DSC_0070.JPG

Put the straw back into the glue while it is still hot and let it cool.

DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0076.JPG

Put the section of coat hanger through the straw.

DSC_0072.JPG

Bend the end of the hanger at a 90 degree angle in any direction

DSC_0055.JPG

Bend the wire another 90 degrees. The vertical length of wire is the same as a pair of needle nose pliers. Your wire should now look like this:

DSC_0056.JPG

Thread the bent end into the servo horn. Your project should now look like this:

DSC_0057.JPG DSC_0058.JPG

Bend the wire at a 90 degree angle down the backside of the servo like these pictures show:

DSC_0059.JPG DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0061.JPG

Glue the foam board piece/straw to the backside of the servo. The straw should be centered with the control horn.

DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0079.JPG

Hold the foam piece in place firmly until the glue dries.

Your landing gear should now look like this:

DSC_0082.JPG DSC_0085.JPG

All landing gears are different: they have different wheel sizes and angles. I used scrap pieces of foam to keep the wheel in line. Here is a picture of how I completed the project:

DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0048.JPG DSC_0089.JPG

Congratulations, your done! Sorry about formatting.... I'm still getting used to the format of this forum! If it didnt show up for you, I also have it up on my blog here: http://rcappetite.blogspot.com/p/diy-tricycle-landing-gear.html
thankyou for reading this long post. Feedback is always appreciated!

Attachments

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Does the gear bind at all? I would think that with the different length of arms (the "servo horn" on the wire that is just a ninety degree bend and a z-bend and the servo arm) it would cause some serious binding. just my two cents.

Not too much. The foam board has some give in it, so the zbend moves with the foam. Also, the servo doesn't need to move more than a couple of degrees for the wheel to turn effectively. It will bind if you turn it SUPER far (like 80-90 degrees) but i dont see why you would need to turn it that far.