Supermarine Spitfire 2

leaded50

Legendary member
im gonna build a Spitfire! :eek:

Many times ive thought on building a Spit.... eg. the "Narvik Nightmare" ( pontoon model) but, but... its a very much buildt plane, and then not so many "challenges" by doin it, its a plain, easy work.....(approx) many plans is there, and instructions on how.
Spitfire was started planned already in -31, and developed further to first flight in - 36. Even if had success in WW2, Supermarine found it already was outdated. They came up with some designs , but "of course" the typical conservative English, "we know what we have, its good enough, and production goes on lines.".... and the newer planedesigns was abandoned.

I suddenly found some info on that proposals, eg. the 1942 "Spitfire 2" with a Napier Sabre engine, at that time much more powerful than the R&R motors.
Or info... a 3D drawing scetch then..Its been called Spitfire 2, but nobody is assure on name, the scetch though assign SS who would say Supermarine and Spitfire.

And as ususal.. unique, "unnormal/unknown" airplanes i like much.... and this does really changes the view on Spitfire. It looks perhaps in sideprofil more a prop fighter from the 50-60 , far more modern in many things. Couldnt keep away... and started.
I got the guy shared the scetch, to "refine" it more digitally, for a better view, and bigger resolution.

At least it seems i cant be kept away from the Spit club anymore... im gonna have the newest versjon too... ;)

SS2.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
somewhere i just make to big part, fasten at center, and then adjust it to fit. Or, i use a paper and light to trace and make it. All described in earlier post, as here. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-way-of-scratchbuilding-from-ground-up.65375/

to set up and make plans on parts eg in CAD, take too much time, not needed, i dont make plans before build either, just hopefully find a 3D profil drawing i can use.
As here, Supermarine have already done the designwork, no computerwork needed.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
canopy ready. Didnt get time getting motors at mailoffice today, well, rest is done. Get the last parts in paint ready then...
Supermarine did used a single color (blue-green) or, pure grey metall on their prototypes. I had this paint laying around, decided use it. (more off a light green belly) The "P" was also typical for prototype planes in Royal Army/Navy
DSC_0667.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
worst, i even got another Supermarine proposal of the Spitfire...with eg V-tail...but wingstyle will make it hard to build.... will see....

boogieloo

I'm looking to order the kit. With their Spektrum transmitter. That gives me two model airplanes to test. But make do. I'd like to try this fast airplane around the trees see how it flies. This looks exciting to me.

leaded50

Legendary member
I'm looking to order the kit. With their Spektrum transmitter. That gives me two model airplanes to test. But make do. I'd like to try this fast airplane around the trees see how it flies. This looks exciting to me.
- this was a design proposal, and never build as a 1:1 plane. Neither is it maked as a kit, its only my interpretation of the proposal without plans. Sorry.

Bifi.baarlo

Don't get stuck in the trees.:cool:(y)