Switchblade XP: micro R/C rocket glider

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
J&H Aerospace is pleased present our newest product, the Switchblade XP!

The first prototype is finished and I'm drafting parts files for the new Switchblade XP to go into production. It'll fit any of the AR6400 or HK Supermicro platforms, running off a 1s Lipo (35-70 mah preferred).

It's a little bigger than the Sport model, and built to handle extra flight loads:
11391542_10102054259359698_3586250265478186136_n.jpg

Today we made four air-dropped flights with this prototype. It flies great!
2015-06-08 12_28_43-Windows Media Player.png

On the third flight I even snagged a light thermal; the Switchblade XP is mildly aerobatic, performing inverted flight and inside/outside loops easily.

Kits will be available in the next few weeks. Expect $50 for the kit, which will take about 2 hours to build. You'll supply the control brick and battery, or I can include them in the kit at cost. Engines will be the Estes A3-4T and A10-3T, and the model can be launched from any Estes or Quest launch system. Quest A3-2/4T engines will also fit, but require friction fitting due to their extra length.

This is one of the easiest flying models I have ever operated. It is extremely stable, capable of complete hands-off flying. The secret of this platform is the use of reliable, robust variable geometry systems to make powered flight completely automated so that you don't need those lightning reflexes. You don't even need to touch the sticks until after the wings deploy, and even then only when you want to redirect the model elsewhere.

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Nate, kits for the free flight version is already available for $25 each. Hopefully I'll have this R/C version available for purchase in about a month.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
is their any free plans?

At the moment we're only selling the kits. They do, however, include templates for everything, so you could cut your own additional copies. There is a template for the wing saddle, too, but you'll find yourself wanting to order that item from me since I only charge $5 to make them for you (plus whatever shipping works out to ;) ).

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Just as an update here, this model is now in production. I've got a fresh product video up here:

And here's footage of one of my customers flying my personal Switchblade XP at a recent outing: