Taoglas Antennas

Dodger

SO!! I've got this idea...Taoglas makes 2.4ghz antennas meant for internal use on PCBs with U.FL connectors. They have and adhesive side for sticking to surfaces etc. Well i was getting annoyed that i couldn't find replacement antennas for my receiver that weren't on back order so i tried a set from mouser when i ordered some aluminum standoffs to replace the nylon standoffs on my Indy 250 Pro frame.

They worked magically, the only problem was i still had them out in the air. In fact you can see them in the vid i posted on my motor smoking:

The two flat blue things up in the air are the actual antennas. In fact...here's a link to their datasheet:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/398/FXP73.07.0100A Blue Diamond 2.4GHz Flex PCB Antenn-14805.pdf

I can't state any facts on whether they performed any better than my original antennas because my antennas got chewed up by the props on their first flight in my back yard back home. But i can say that i have yet to have a signal issue and i'm flying around a 3/4mi x 1/2mi field. Even flipped upside down on the ground a 1/8 mi away I had good signal. And I still have no idea if that's an accomplishment or not!

Anyway, one of them got chewed today cause i'm running them through that 45deg mount and i decided i'm tired of the thing. The antennas just need to be mounted in such a way to make the best use of their radiation pattern right? so I'm getting these:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/398/FXP70.07.0053A 2.4GHz Flex Circuit PCB 090810-28512.pdf

I'm going mount them on the side to some mounts i'm making with poplar and foam board. Poplar for strength and structure and the foam board for a good surface for the adhesive to make sweet love to. I'll post some pics of the setup once the glue sets. Using Titebond wood glue for the poplar and foam board.

The receiver will also move from being on top with a 45deg mount JB welded to it to a belly mount with the antennas out to the sides and bonded to the mounts. Should have the antennas in a few days.

Dodger

Finally got those antennas in and installed. I'm currently on leave though in Colorado and i don't have a good sense as to where a good place would be to test it. But without further adieu. Here's some pics:

As you can see they are quite small:

So the attachment surfaces i placed were a bit big

So then came installation:

In order to make use of the full length of the wires i had to make some modifications to the case so the antennas can stick out the sides.

Made these holes close to the lid that way as the lid shuts there is some positive pressure to help keep them in place and guarded from moving at the UF.L attachment.

So i'm having a few concerns now after reviewing the radioation patterns for these antennas and coming to the realization that they're a bit toroidal. So i then considered placing the poplar booms at 4's to get a solid coverage. Issue is sincethey are pads i believe that'll create a decent bit of unwanted drag so i'm going to stick with this configuration fornow. I'veconsidered placing them on the frame but:

1: when the frame breaks again i will likely have to replace the antenna as well.
2: carbon fiber will likedo a lot to block the signal transmission and reception on the side of the adhesive is stuck to the frame.

So for now the current set up will do until i can identify all it's flaws or at least the most critical ones.