Taranis Q X7 died on me, inspection reveals bad solder joints everywhere! Check yours

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Taranis Q X7 died on me, inspection reveals many bad solder joints! Check yours!

It could have been a lot worse, my transmitter cut out right after launching my flying wing today, and it proceeded to go nose-first into the ground from 50ft or so at moderate speed. The damage; crushed my power pod, ripped the balance connector off of my brand new battery and dented it, shot my battery alarm off into the grass somewhere, and crumpled the nose of the plane. Luckily I didn't lose the plane and all of my electronics. I'm lucky it cut out right after launch and not while the plane was facing towards the lake west of my field, the trees north of it, or the people south of it.

After the walk of shame I couldn't turn the transmitter on so I checked the batteries and they had plenty of voltage, I pulled the battery tray out and saw a nearly solder-less joint on the battery connector. Took the back of the case off of the transmitter and shot these photos; bad solder joints all over the place. It's an intermittent contact issue and the transmitter turns on and works fine now.

Please take the back plate off and check your Q X7's boards guys, it might be just my transmitter, but I doubt it, and I'd hate to see an easily discovered defect to cost someone much hard earned cash.

Here's the battery connector:
7ix1de6.jpg

Other connectors with bad solder joints:
AW7EamD.jpg

WykcspT.jpg

mofc29v.jpg

3jpNYLS.jpg

I'm torn on how to proceed on this, I am more than capable of fixing this myself with better quality solder joints than the factory will make, and then I'd not have to wait ages and pay shipping while I try to get a replacement under warranty, but I'd hate to fix it and void my warranty then have a bigger problem which I can't fix down the road and no warranty. The thought of waiting and going back and forth trying to resolve this is what bothers me, I can fix it today and fly this week, or wait what might be weeks or months to resolve the issue under warranty. I'm not even sure how long the warranty is on these, there's no info in the manual and my googling didn't reveal anything, the transmitter was purchased for me from flitetest as a gift in May.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Those type components are put on by hand after the flow soldering is done. That's just someone not caring about their work AND a quality inspectors fail on top of that for not catching it. Not sure how things in China work but here every pcb gets QA checked visually then they get put on test fixtures for any calibrations before final assembly and another round of QC checks.

Sadly since you opened the radio more then likely your warranty is already voided. I would take the time and call them to find out how to handle this. If they give you crap tell them you will be posting pictures of the quality of their product on multiple forums.. I am pretty sure it will get resolved quite quickly if it comes to that.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Those type components are put on by hand after the flow soldering is done. That's just someone not caring about their work AND a quality inspectors fail on top of that for not catching it. Not sure how things in China work but here every pcb gets QA checked visually then they get put on test fixtures for any calibrations before final assembly and another round of QC checks.

Sadly since you opened the radio more then likely your warranty is already voided. I would take the time and call them to find out how to handle this. If they give you crap tell them you will be posting pictures of the quality of their product on multiple forums.. I am pretty sure it will get resolved quite quickly if it comes to that.

Yes, this definitely is one that slipped past QC (if there is QC), but if opening it voids the warranty, it was void from day one because it came from flite test with the sprung throttle disabled. It would be senseless to design a radio with gimbals that must be adjusted by removing the rear case and have such an action void the warranty.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am with ya there mate but "Big Business" comes up with anyway they can to justify getting out of things. Like I said you wont now til ya ask so start there nicely and see where that gets ya. Good luck which ever way this goes.

RCdiy

RCdiy
Where did you get it from? If Aloft Hobbies then you may be covered.
As far as opening goes no worries there since we have to open the case to set the mode.
Mine appers to be okay.

Last edited:

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Wowser! Void semantics aside, I would think if you emailed those photos to FrSky they would take care of you.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
I have emailed them, I'm just not optimistic about a resolution through them, since I'm emailing a company with no US presence that I know of, and any return/replacement process through China would take a considerable amount of time and I don't have patience for days of back and forth and weeks of waiting.

Where did you get it from? If Aloft Hobbies then you may be covered.
As far as opening goes no worries there since we have to open the case to set the mode.
Mine appers to be okay.

It was purchased from flite test.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
FrSky is a different kind of beastie than most "Big Business" operations. They were born to help set people free. :)

I purchase from Aloft and the service there has been impeccable.

Who did you email, FrSky?

I would email the photos to the FT store and a link to this thread. Give the FT Store a chance and see how they handle it. :)

RCdiy

RCdiy
Suggest e-mailing them and giving them a chance to respond.
support@flitetest.com

I usually use Aloft Hobbies because they are an authorized service centre/premier partner even though shipping into Canada is way more than for within the US.

FrSky RC

It is not a QC issue.
Most of the connectors are soldered at the back of the main board. According to IPC610 standards, the soldering pad on the front does not need to be infiltrated, and PTH fill is equal or greater than 50%, see attached pics for your reference.
Once again, thanks for your continous support!
IPC610 standard-7.3.5.3.png IPC610 standard-7.3.5.1.png

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Respectfully; The failure my transmitter exhibited is a failure of quality. The negative pin failed a continuity check with the ground test pad adjacent to it. Unless that's an isolated ground plane, I doubt this should've been the case.

FrSky RC

Thanks.
Would you please provide a zoom-in picture for the failed part and point out the negative pin and adjacent ground pad as well, thanks!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I worked electronics manufacturing and testing for Harris RF communications, Electronic Navigation industries, Kodak / Nexpress as well as other smaller companies and I have never seem ANY standard with that 50% fill B.S. If that is what FR Sky is calling quality to save a little on solder costs I may have to rethink any future purchases. 50% allows the part to move from vibration which WILL eventually crack or even unseat the thru hole plating and break the between layer bonds to the internal traces. These radios get jostled around quite a bit in back packs and bumps and drops. That is guaranteed fail over time.

Oh yeah and will also allow contamination to build up in those holes potentially leading to faster end of life for the product.

Last edited: