Taranis Q X7 died on me, inspection reveals bad solder joints everywhere! Check yours

FrSky RC

I worked electronics manufacturing and testing for Harris RF communications, Electronic Navigation industries, Kodak / Nexpress as well as other smaller companies and I have never seem ANY standard with that 50% fill B.S. If that is what FR Sky is calling quality to save a little on solder costs I may have to rethink any future purchases. 50% allows the part to move from vibration which WILL eventually crack or even unseat the thru hole plating and break the between layer bonds to the internal traces. These radios get jostled around quite a bit in back packs and bumps and drops. That is guaranteed fail over time.

Oh yeah and will also allow contamination to build up in those holes potentially leading to faster end of life for the product.
Thanks PsyBorg. Below are the pictures of SPEKTRUM DX8 and FUTABA radios.
DX8.JPG

Futaba.JPG

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
FrSky RC,

I think what you're missing is, I know for a fact Spektrum, and I'm sure Futaba too, would be happy to repair or replace the defective transmitter without making a customer jump through hoops. There's obviously a problem with the radio, why don't you just take care of it instead of trying to prove the customer wrong?

Respectfully,
TazRC

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
After hearing back from FRSky that the service center I'd have to send the board to is in China, and the turnaround is over a month, I'm just going to reflow the offending failed joint and add more solder for more infill on this stressed joint. That is too long of a wait, unsatisfactory. In light of the response I guess I'm just lucky it's a failure I can fix and it didn't result in the destruction or loss of anything too expensive.

I have passed feedback on to FRSky that they should consider using greater infill and strain relief on the battery connector solder joints, the connector is under stress when the battery holder or rechargeable battery is removed, and 3 50% infill joints just aren't strong or resilient enough for that application.

I've been building and repairing various electronics for years, including automotive ECUs which are a high vibration and long life span application. I'm familiar with strain relief used in equipment that is designed to take minor impacts, vibration from repeated connector removal, and there really isn't any incorporated in the design of the only repeatedly used connector on the transmitter.

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I'm glad it's something you can fix.

However, I'm extremely disappointed with FrSky's customer service. Part of me doesn't want to believe that the new member posting above isn't really from FrSky. To try to show that the bad solder joint is somehow ok by showing failed solder joints in other manufactures radios doesn't sit well with me. Companies should own their errors and make things right, not point fingers at others.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Please post photos of the repair and if you can a 'how to' assuming it works.

If FrSky is gonna make hoops to jump through maybe we can give folks an option less painful than dealing with China.

rotozuk

Hey Guys - This is Wayne from Aloft. Sorry to see FrSky responding is such a way, not very good. (The style suggests it might be Allan from FrSky, he is a bit harsh.)

The odd thing about FrSky as a company is that your warranty is pretty much from the dealer you bought the gear from. I am curious what your dealer suggested as a fix. They should have taken the radio back ASAP and tested, replaced or resolved the issue. They would then alert FrSky to any concerns. Well, that is what we do at Aloft. We work closely with our contacts at FrSky to make sure that a repeat issue does not slip past QC, and move forward.

Yes, FrSky actually has a very good QC department, and the X7 has proven to be a very reliable radio. I love every aspect of the radio, and the price is hard to resist for many. I like to open the radios up and show them off to customers, yeah, I am that proud of the workmanship on these radios. Open up another brand of similar price and see what you get. Heck, compare it to radios costing 5 times as much.

If you still have issues, send us an email and we will see what we can do for you.

-Wayne
Aloft Hobbies

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Thanks for the response, Wayne. Makes me glad that I purchased my Taranis from Aloft, and I'll continue in the future.

WildcasterTV

I believe my brand new QX-7 has a problem stemming from a bad solder as well.

I will make a separate thread, but basically after countless hours of trouble shooting I have narrowed the problem to this:

When flashing firmware onto either the internal RF or an external receiver the qx-7 will fail to even start 50% of the time giving the error "no pin resp (response)". Trying again it will begin flashing and it always completes until 100% complete. Unfortunately the receivers are never bindable after being flashed using my qx7. After countless hours I found out that flashing the same firmware onto the same receiver using a friends qx7 instead of mine created a receiver (x4r-sb) that was would bind. However me flashing the same thing onto the receiver using my qx7 would create a receiver that his qx7 would no longer bind to. It's also worth nothing his qx7 never fails to attempt a flash with the error message that I get.

Unfortunately my qx7 is basically bricked now because I flashed the internal rf with my qx7s faulty internal flasher which seems to corrupt every firmware it flashes.

I've wasted countless hours pin pointing this issue and exhausted every other possibility. Including EU/international firmware, opentx software, etc.

I'm rather unhappy with the purchase which sucks because aside from the fact my qx7 is bricked I love it.

It's possible the problem is also a faulty soldering point that leads somewhere to the actual part of the board in charge of flashing causing the flasher to corrupt the flash during its 1minute flashing. If I knew the solder point I could fix it but I don't even want to open the qx7 not knowing what to look for. I have sent a request to refund as its barely a few days old.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It still boils down to the fact of this being an actual standard. I will seriously need to rethink my buying strategy when buying anything electronic from Chinese based manufacturing. I think most of it is Bull Crap as you don't see half arsed solder joints like that on any electronics that are exposed visually like receivers and VTX's and flight controllers why is it only on hidden things like inside the radios...

Things that make you go hrrrrrmmm

Can anyone say "Planned end of life"

Last edited:

RCdiy

RCdiy
FrSKY sells thousands of their transmitters and have been doing so for years. They have a loyal following. A few bad transmitters or one bad customer service rep. who posts in forums is not a reflection on the brand in general. Recently however they have released stuff that was not properly vetted which is frustrating as a brand supporter.

Last edited:

rotozuk

Can anyone say "Planned end of life"

No - Far from it. FrSky has produced probably 25,000 of these radios at this point (estimated guess), so yes, they are going to have some that fall a little short of spec. The last guys radio sounds like it would have passed QC just fine as the error is in a very specific, but specialized operation. Heck, it may have nothing to do with the origin of the manufacturer of the boards as it may be a defect in a component that is made elsewhere. Not easy to identify this sort of problem.

The more items you make, the more chances issues will arise. Also, the more complex a system is, the more chances you have for issues. If you look at the last example, the issue is with a feature that very few radios on the market even offer! This is FrSky and the OpenTX community being very nice to add these sorts of powerful features.

No, there is no planned end of life with FrSky gear or any radio manufacturer that I know of. Cars, yes, computers, yes. R/C gear, no.

WebcasterTV - Work with the dealer you bought from, they should take care of you. If they don't you should never do business with them again, then contact us at Aloft and we will see if we can get you going.

-Wayne

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wayne at Aloft Hobbies....

Once again demonstrating why 9/10 of value is service. :)

+1 and exactly why all my radios and receivers come from his shop

And Wayne, we really appreciate you dropping into the forums over here too - even if you haven't posted that elusive Single Stick Taranis case kit yet :p

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Please post photos of the repair and if you can a 'how to' assuming it works.

If FrSky is gonna make hoops to jump through maybe we can give folks an option less painful than dealing with China.

It worked, and my radio hasn't turned off on me since I did the repair about a week ago. but pictures are really not going to help anyone, I didn't even open the case to do it, I just touched the soldering iron to the pin for a few seconds which reflowed the joint, then I added a bit more solder to ensure a strong bond.

Hey Guys - This is Wayne from Aloft. Sorry to see FrSky responding is such a way, not very good. (The style suggests it might be Allan from FrSky, he is a bit harsh.)

The odd thing about FrSky as a company is that your warranty is pretty much from the dealer you bought the gear from. I am curious what your dealer suggested as a fix. They should have taken the radio back ASAP and tested, replaced or resolved the issue. They would then alert FrSky to any concerns. Well, that is what we do at Aloft. We work closely with our contacts at FrSky to make sure that a repeat issue does not slip past QC, and move forward.

Yes, FrSky actually has a very good QC department, and the X7 has proven to be a very reliable radio. I love every aspect of the radio, and the price is hard to resist for many. I like to open the radios up and show them off to customers, yeah, I am that proud of the workmanship on these radios. Open up another brand of similar price and see what you get. Heck, compare it to radios costing 5 times as much.

If you still have issues, send us an email and we will see what we can do for you.

-Wayne
Aloft Hobbies

I don't doubt that my issue was the exception, not the rule, but I am unhappy with FRsky's quoted month-plus turnaround on a repair when what they should have done is send me a board promptly and have me send mine back when I get it so they can analyze it. I didn't contact the seller (flitetest) over this because it was a technical issue which I felt the manufacturer should know about and deal with.

If it weren't for the failure which damaged my plane and caused a loss of parts (could have been worse I know) I'd say I was very happy with the radio, the features for value are hard to beat.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times

I didn't contact the seller (flitetest)

Then apart from receiving a DOA radio, you have nothing to complain about... FliteTest would have replaced the radio almost without question as would any other legitimate FrSky dealer! The rest is irrelevant. There is no statement anywhere that says to contact FrSky directly for warranty issues. In fact there is no statement anywhere that there even is a warranty except if you buy from AloftHobbies, so you are reliant on the promise from your dealer.

Warranties for consumer products do not normally include sending replacement boards on spec. for you to install yourself so I'm not sure why you would expect that. Only commercial enterprise that pay through the nose for support get that kind of service.

I'm sure FrSky want you to be happy which is why they responded to you at all but common sense would say trying to deal directly with a manufacture based in a foreign country is not going to be efficient. You might attempt it as a last resort but given you have a perfectly friendly US based dealer that was clearly not the case here.