Teaching a group of kids to fly/ build (looking for recommendations on tx/ planes)

rdallaire

Hello All,

I have a few kids interested in learning to build and fly some planes. I was planning on doing some of the Flite Test swapables so that they can get a power pod made and make many different planes if wanted.

Would the swapables be a good choice? I was thinking something simple at first like the FT Flyer/ delta or nutball or possibly even the bloody baron. Are these simple enough to fly for someone new? I have the bloody baron and it seems fine for a beginner if I set the rates really low and got a smaller motor.

The biggest issue I have right now is figuring out what the best transmitters they could get for a budget. I was going to have a list of electronics they need to buy (or just buy them for everyone) and then they would select the transmitter they wanted mostly based on price. I recently got a taranis and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Currently I was thinking
  • Taranis ~ $200 (recommended if they really want to get into the hobby)
  • Orange 6channel ~ $90 with shipping
  • Turnigy 9X $70
  • Some of the other hobby king sub $50 TX's

My main issue is that I really think anyone that is interested should get a decent transmitter and not one of the non computer hobbyking ones that are $30 (probably $60 with shipping).

Anyone have any other recommendations?

For steps in learning I was also hoping for some recommendations. Currently my thinking is

• Basics of how planes fly/ parts
  • Some simulator time (anywhere in the process before flying)
  • build
  • fly

Thanks

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Last edited:

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
I've personally been using DX5e's for my club. Hobbyking may have cheaper options but since my club has a very minimalist budget I find that our money is better spent on products from a manufacturer that I know firsthand has good customer support. The DSMX is also a benefit, and I chose spektrum because LemonRX receivers are so cheap.

We've got a few prefab- planes, but for the most part I've been training on an FT Old Speedster so far. We've got a lot of members who are interested in quads and FPV so for that we'll be getting a nano QX.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I've helped out with a RC build and fly class held run by a board member of my club that's held at a school and a hobby shop (HobbyLand in Stow, MA) and I know that for those looking to buy a TX, he recommends the Spektrum DX5e and LemonRX receivers for a good value setup that's reliable. I see on ebay you can get the TX for about $50 with free shipping. What's nice is they're simple so no fancy programming is necessary and they have a trainer port, so you can easily buddy box.

Ludodg

I have recently started a group at my school also.
We are building FT Tiny trainers as they are modular but At first we will be building them as freeflight (cheap) gliders.
Lots of the students are interested in RC-flying but I do not know if the necesary budget will be available