Thank You Ultramicrobe!!!!!

Flynn

I've been looking around for a nice park sized plane that I can use my 800mah 3s's in. I printed, and cut out Ultramicrobe's 800mm P-51 a while ago but never finished it. I almost trashed the plane at one point because I figured I would just go back to the original F-22 that uses the 800's. The other night, for some strange reason, I finished building the 800mm P-51. I made a mod that made it easier to slide the small power pod in and out. Basically just added to scrape pieces of foam to the inside to hold the power pod from falling. Then use the standard barbeque skewer.

IMG_2174.JPG

I took the plane to the field today, it was far from a calm day, but the winds seemed to die down after a while (to around 7-10mph). So, I got to a point where I figured I'd try it. Tossed it into the wind and wow! After a minor elevator adjustment, it flew very nice! It handled the wind about as good as any plane I've flown from the FT store. I was using a park 370ish motor and a 7x6 prop. I flew it a couple more times after that and I must say I really enjoyed it! I can't wait to add some decals and color!

IMG_2173.JPG

Thank you again Ultramicrobe for taking the time to put together, test and provide plans for such a rewarding plane!!

LordVader

I 2nd that. Ultramicrobe, you have brought so much to this site, can't thank you enough. I am always waiting to see what you come up with next. Thanks.

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Nice looking plane there Flynn. I built a P51-B variant from those plans, it flies great.:D

P51-B_5.JPG
Maiden/Pre-Paint

P51-B_9.jpg
Post Maiden/After paint (Pre crash :black_eyed:)

Crash_1.JPG
Crash_3.JPG
Post crash/ Pre-fix:p It's all good, just straightened out the wrinkles and glued the paper back on.;)

I see your ESC is mounted outside the pod. Does that mean your battery is inside? How's that working for you?
I too am using a park 370-ish motor, a Grayson Hobbies disposable foamie combo, w/ an 8-4 prop.
It seems to have enough power for fast and scale flight using a 1000 Mah battery.
Good range of battery movement for balance too.
I'm glad to see someone else tackle this design. I've got the Bf109 started. Still need to build the wings.

My mods include: adding 1" of length to the nose to help w/ balance, enlarging the tail feathers slightly, and building the turtle decking for the "B" version.

The next version I'll try and widen the wing tips a bit for more slow speed stability.

Again, Thank you Ultramicrobe for a great little model.:D

Tom

Flynn

Wow Dreamwalker, that is amazing!! Great work!!

I'll have to check on the battery placement. It's not right up against the fire wall, I think it's about an inch back.

Last edited:

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Thanks Flynn.
The front of my battery ends up just forward of where the battery wires come out of the pod. (see power pod pic)
It's about an inch back from the firewall also.
Here it balances ever so slightly nose down.
Can't wait to see your plane painted.:)

Tom

Flynn

Thanks Flynn.
The front of my battery ends up just forward of where the battery wires come out of the pod. (see power pod pic)
It's about an inch back from the firewall also.
Here it balances ever so slightly nose down.
Can't wait to see your plane painted.:)

Tom

Did you do a minwax and paint on that? I really like the way that came out. I'll have to look through some pics to see how I want to color it. Love the canopy you did.

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Yea, I did a light Minwax coating as a base, then 3 very light coats (and I mean light) of oil base Olive Drab Camo paint.
It took what seemed like forever to dry.:rolleyes:
The bottom is just Automotive primer, again 2 very light coats.

I found insignia on the web, created the graphics and lettering,and printed them out on the colour laser printer at work.
I cut them out and glued them on w/ craft glue.
I masked off and hand painted the white stripes w/ some hobby paint I had around.
I then added panel lines, with a marker, to the grey underside to add some definition.

The canopy was a modified version of the Bf109 & P51D Canopy. I followed Ultramicrobe's instructions to assemble it.

P51-B_12.JPG
close-up of canopy and pilot

I used Google Images to research my paint scheme and for insignia placement.

P51-b_markings.jpg

354-353d-p51b-lashden.jpg

I was not going for an accurate recreation,
but to depict a possible/plausible paint scheme for the time period.
You'll find a whole lot of the same "Famous" paint schemes, but there are a few unique ones as well.

The fun part is coming up with the name for the plane.:cool:

Good luck with your painting project Flynn.
Can't wait to see it!

Tom

ultramicrobe

Thanks guys, great to see they planes work well

Hey, thanks for the posts guys. I find it so cool to see someone else far away is making the same plane, and then also finding it flies well too. Pretty cool.

My 800 bf109 flies better than my Mustang, but I think that is just because it has a better motor. I use 2826 SK3 motors, and the 1200kv works great with a 9X6 APC (and I use common 1300mAh batteries). With the little batteries yours is probably nice and light and probably flies great. Post some pics when you get it done? I don't use the forum so much, but it would be really interesting to see the final project. I love the B-modifications shown here too. I have been flying more than building lately, but my latest project is actually done, and that is the ME262. It is big and hard, and has been giving me lots of grief. I just have to make a movie and I was going to post it.