The Crop Scouter

Merrixs

The purpose of this thread is to explain what and why I am doing what I am doing, get ideas from others that may or may not be doing what I am doing with different intentions, and to document my progress. This will be a somewhat slow process as I am just now getting into the hobby because of this family request. This crow scouter may start off to be very simple, but could end up to be fairly interesting.

The goal: Create (or use an existing design) a medium range airframe capable of at least average flight time that will carry two separate video transmitting systems that are individually controllable. My idea is to fly fpv from a front facing board camera that is capable of basic pan and tilt, even if it is just controlled by two three position switches on my transmitter. The second camera (probably a mobius) will be facing strait down on another basic pan and tilt system, or a gimbal if I want to get fancy. This second camera will be controlled by my father/brother-in-law who will be the ones interested in looking at how their crops are doing. They will be able to view the flight real time and then review it after on a larger screen with better quality video strait form the mobius. This should not be too hard, I just need to pick the right airframe that can take the weight and do it while flying fairly smoothly and slowly.

My initial plan: A Storch flown by my Taranis, and the mobius with a basic pan and tilt controlled with some basic/cheap radio. My fpv on 1.3 and the mobius on 5.8.

Possible issue with my initial plan: I am not sure if the fuselage is wide or deep enough for me to tuck the mobius and the simple pan and tilt in and under the fuselage...let alone a gimbal setup. I may have to go with a bigger bodied plane such as the Guinea, or even the Flying Box Car! Any input on this is greatly welcomed.

Sadly I do not have any cool video or pictures to share at this time as this is just an idea as of now. I do have some more details in my head about the fpv equipment, but I will get around to that at a later date. Just an fyi, range wise, I am talking about under one mile and mostly open line of sight. I plan on having the mobile ground station in the truck cap of my pickup with the receiving antennas well above the norm from what most are used to.

Until next time, stay imaginative!

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
You might be able to do this without using the gimbal. Since another person will see the video in real time, they can simply ask you to change direction if they see something interesting that needs a closer look. That is assuming you have a gps on board and are logging your position.

This plane is simple enough to throw together and it has a very long flight time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZzYmxCOWOI&feature=youtu.be

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Keep in mind, FPV bandwidth on analog video is fairly low resolution -- nowhere near as nice as the playback from the mobius. If they're looking for large splotches in the field this will probably work fine. If they're looking for an individual plant to stand out, that will fade into the background.

Downlink HD video is available (as seen in the recent FT video), but to get reasonable range and a reliable link is by no means inexpensive . . . or even reasonable at this point. At least the Lag isn't a significant issue with a spotter camera.

One of the next things you'll need to do is figure out how far/fast you want to survey. That'll determine what you need from a single pack. So how big of a swath do you want to traverse? (set by how small you want to see) Do you want complete coverage or general health spot checks? How big of a plot are you doing per flight? How fast can you go? (set by the airframe, somewhat, but may be lower if the camera can't give you good video out at cruise speed)

Find out how far and how fast and you've got your limit for how long. Plot a notional course, and go run a test flight or 10 with a Mobius strapped to the side. do your best to find a way to measure speed for each, then go back and look at the video to see if it's useable at all speeds or not.

Another thing to consider -- glitches. If I'm at the far edge of the back 40 and the video glitches occasionally, as the pilot, that's no big deal -- fly through it! if I'm the spotter, I might have trouble making sense of what I'm seeing if the video has started to degrade. you probably want to run some test flights LOS close in, with your FPV spotter at the back side of the field to see how good/bad it can be.

Cool project, and keep us posted :)