The most INSANE RC Scrappy you will see...

Taildragger

Legendary member
It's physics, math, and engineering... and a lot of them!
Time for motivation pills!
I have spent the last week laying in bed at night, it's designing new parts, designing new suspension, designing new wings...
Basically I have been listening to podcasts and videos and it's really incredible to see Mike Patey's process when he came up with scrappy, and I want to kind of recreate his awesome plane, scrappy.
I'm going to most likely go to high sierra fly in this year (2022), and so I want to bring some epic planes (obviously). They need to be outrageous, like a highly detailed 1/4 scale cub, or a very functional Scrappy.
What makes Scrappy unique from other cubs in my opinion are 4 things: 1. The tubby, tall fuselage 2. the ability to adjust ride height on the fly 3. solar power for accessories and 4. The revolutionary new wing system witch utilizes P-STOL flaps in conjunction with a retractable double-slatted leading edge.
These are essentially the goals for this project.
How I plan to do these on the RC model
1. Modify a CAD model of a cub fuselage to better resemble Scrappy
2. Idk yet
3. This one is the fun one! I plan on putting real solar panels and lithium ion batteries in the wings, turning them into solar-powered power banks. After doing the math, I found that the amount of power the panels will make without battery assistance is enough to power up to four USB devices simultaneously.
4. Kinda just copying Mike's design. 3D printing likely to be involved.

Current CAD Model (Pic updated often):
1651601863703.png

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That'll be awesome!

I started on a "Scrappy" for the Bush Plane Challenge but never finished it (that was before scrappy was even flying) been watching all of Mike's videos for quite a while!

All of my parts have ended up repurposed in other projects now, its all up to you! 😂 gotta have a scrappy in this years BPC!

Beaver5150

It's physics, math, and engineering... an a lot of them!
Time for motivation pills!
I have spent the last week laying in bed at night, it's designing new parts, designing new suspension, designing new wings...
Basically I have been listening to podcasts and videos and it's really incredible to see Mike Patey's process when he came up with scrappy, and I want to kind of recreate his awesome plane, scrappy.
I'm going to most likely go to high sierra fly in this year (2022), and so I want to bring some epic planes (obviously). They need to be outrageous, like a highly detailed 1/4 scale cub, or a very functional Scrappy.
What makes Scrappy unique from other cubs in my opinion are 4 things: 1. The tubby, tall fuselage 2. the ability to adjust ride height on the fly 3. solar power for accessories and 4. The revolutionary new wing system witch utilizes P-STOL flaps in conjunction with a retractable double-slatted leading edge.
These are essentially the goals for this project.
How I plan to do these on the RC model
1. Modify a CAD model of a cub fuselage to better resemble Scrappy
2. Idk yet
3. This one is the fun one! I plan on putting real solar panels and lithium ion batteries in the wings, turning them into solar-powered power banks. After doing the math, I found that the amount of power the panels will make without battery assistance is enough to power up to four USB devices simultaneously.
4. Kinda just copying Mike's design. 3D printing likely to be involved.
Sounds as though it will be rigged for long flights if you're using 18650s and solar panels. What motor and prop combo you plan to use?

Taildragger

Legendary member
Sounds as though it will be rigged for long flights if you're using 18650s and solar panels. What motor and prop combo you plan to use?
At some point I may use it as flight power but at the moment the plan is to use them solely for accessory power, such as USBs (phone charging), a UBEC to power the lights and servos, etc.

Beaver5150

At some point I may use it as flight power but at the moment the plan is to use them solely for accessory power, such as USBs (phone charging), a UBEC to power the lights and servos, etc.
Right. I was using a 4.8v NiMh pack for a minute (4xAA) for onboard power till I found 6A-UBEC modules for near 5$ that run on 2-6S.

OliverW

Legendary member
You're giving me another reason to fly there this year 😎 I'm going to try and fly up and fly formation with my buddy the way there.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
wiring diagram, 36!!! total solar cells each making about 5v 50-60ma, groups of 9 are wired in parallel to make 4 outputs of 5v and about .5amps, each charging one 3200mah 18650 Lithium Ion battery.
View attachment 225190

@KN4IUU you're into electronics right? lol
😍😍 yes I am!! 👍 Are you charging the lithium batteries with a lithium charger circuit?
I would get four of these, make life so much easier
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904
It charges at 500mah so pretty close to your 450