The Old Fogey

phatakrohan

Dear All
Hello every one...
I have just entered into the RC planes hobby. To start with I am building Old Fogey model with swappable power pod. Please can anyone tell me what should be the approximate weight of the plane (old Fogey) including the power pod attached.
I could not get foam-board here in my locality, so I started building the plane with Thermocol. I am worried about the weight and sturdiness of the plane.

gabrielete

I've succesfully built mine with foam heavier than Adams. Adams weight 300 gr/m2, mine like 460gr/m2. I use a 1000mah 2S battery. For the landing gear I use 3mm wire. In my case a heavy landing gear is essential to balance the plane. I'll weigh it this evening and tell you.

Last edited:

gabrielete

Sorry. I couldn’t do it til now.... 560gr. Everything included. I’m sure with Adams is lighter. Flies great...

phatakrohan

Hey I could also fly my plane. But I used 3 cell lipo and it worked great. I could even add my old cell phone on-board and do aerial video shoot.

Gryf

>>> I could even add my old cell phone on-board and do aerial video shoot. <<<

Good luck with that! I once tried to fly my Fogey with my iPod Touch slotted into the top wing at the CG, and the Pod was too heavy for the Fogey to carry. But you never know, it may work for you!

Best of luck with your Old Fogey. I learned to fly on one, and they still have a special place in my heart. ;-)

Where are you from?

Gryf

phatakrohan

I am from Mumbai, India. For me too Old Fogey will have a special place in my heart. Its my first plane.
My next project will be building FT versa wing. But this time I will make it with coroplast sheet for more durability and strength.

phatakrohan

I am from Mumbai, India. For me too Old Fogey will have a special place in my heart. Its my first plane.
My next project will be building FT versa wing. But this time I will make it with coroplast sheet for more durability and strength.

I, too, have a warm place in my heart for the Fogey. It was the plane that got me back into RC after 30 years away (when I used to fly nitro planes).

I wouldn't be too concerned with making it a little heavier. Flying the Fogey with a 500 mAh battery, I found it to be too light for my liking -- it floats too much and is difficult to get the c/g far enough forward. Now, I'll fly it with a 3S 2200 or 2700 mAh battery, and it performs beautifully -- but it's still too easy to get the plane tail heavy (I try to have the c/g a bit forward of where the build instructions call for).

In addition to the heavier battery, the Old Fogey will easily loft an 808 keychain or Mobius camera. I've even been able to fly my Go-Pro clone a few times (with less than satisfactory results, but it did get airborne).

Here's some 808 keychain camera video from one of my flights (I haven't had time to edit this one, and it was before I got the focus adjusted to my satisfaction, but it shows how well the plane flies....).

Last edited: