The time my heli woke up on my desk

Gryf

I had just rebuilt a 400-size heli after its first, and fatal, flight. As it was a pretty hard crash, I had to replace the main frame, tail tube, rotor blades, and all the other stuff that gets trashed when a heli goes in... So it was a pretty extensive rebuild, but it was looking great and I was looking forward to the next attempt at flight.

I had the thing on my desk, with everything assembled except the main rotor blades, and was double-checking all my servo settings. I have no idea what happened next but the motor suddenly powered up to full throttle... And even without the main blades, the tail rotor and fly bar paddles still managed to do plenty of damage before the madly thrashing heli finally flung its battery and died at the other end of the room. I got a nasty slice on a knuckle that bruised, swelled, and looked pretty morbid. My slick Logitech low-profile backlit keyboard lost a couple of keys to the blades, and there are still scratches on my monitor screen.

Yeah, I learned a lot from that... One, to disconnect the motor any time I had the heli on the bench. Also, that learning to fly RC from scratch with a 6-channel CP heli might be starting at the wrong end of the learning curve. BTW, I'd bought the heli second-hand from a friend, who bought a Bixler with the proceeds, which eventually led us both to Flitetest. So yes, something good came out of the mayhem! :)

Cheers,

Gryf

epic.engineering

yeah that's ruff... a cp heli is not the one you want to learn on. If you're serious about heli I suggest the blade 120.. awesome beginner heli.. that's super durable and its not one of those coaxil baby helicopters..lol

Gryf

Speaking of little coax helis, I learned on a Blade Scout... and while it's a little guy, it's definitely hobby grade, and great fun to fly. But I found out pretty quick that I couldn't transfer that experience straight over to a CP. :)

That said, although the big heli is ready to fly again, and even though I've fitted it with a FlyMentor stabilization system, I'm planning to borrow its RX, TX, and ESC and use them with a swappable kit. My interest lies more with fixed-wing aircraft anyway, and maybe sometime in the future I'll get brave and swap the bits back into the heli and try again.

Cheers,

Gryf

epic.engineering

i Started off in heli about a year ago.. then into fix wing.. heli are more nail biting fun. Planes are relaxing.. next time give the blade 120 a shot.. it hdd 2 setting in the remote and the copter itself.. so you have 4 levels to learn.. then go cp

Gryf

By the way, Epic, thanks for the advice RE: the Blade 120. I've been flying that one in the ClearView sim, and it does seem pretty friendly.

Gryf

epic.engineering

By the way, Epic, thanks for the advice RE: the Blade 120. I've been flying that one in the ClearView sim, and it does seem pretty friendly.

Gryf
no problem, practice hovering in front of you (looking from behind) then slightly to the left, then to the right.. then practice hovering in front of you, this time the front facing you.. then slightly to left and the right.. after that try circles, then figure 8's

I got to the point that I could fly my 120 through my house.. eventually it was rather dull/boring.. that's when I went to collective pitch.. now it's hard to go back to flying a fixed pitch heli

andybenton

NERD!!!! :)
I had a relatively easy time going straight from coax to cp. I think most of it comes down to taking your sweet time while learning, simulator time, and knowing someone who can help you set it up perfectly... Helis require very particular maintenance and set up, a good set up cp is easy to fly. Especially with dual rates and expo...

Just remember, collective pitch was the only type of heli the pioneers had when helis first got started...

I'm not diluting the value of a fixed pitch machine, just saying that it is possible. Allthough everyone's learning curve is different...

I set my first cp up very very forgiving, lots of expo, like 35-45 percent. And dual rates of like 50 or so.
Spent bourse checking blade tracking, had an experienced pilot set up my gyro, and I wanna sY my pitch. Curve had a lull Round the hover point of the throttle..

Well anyways enough rambling... What type of heli was it, do you still have it?

DFX2KX

(looks over at his wrecked Trex) Yeah, learning on a CP is rough. They make little ball-and-stick type landing helpers, but if you're using cruddy servos and a cheap radio, the combination can be... exciting. Got my shin scratched by a tiny sliver of the exploding blades from my last crash. I think it bent the frame, too.

Not sure if I'm going to bother fixing it. The radio is very basic, and requires a PC connection and an awful tuning program to do any of the adjustments. Add to that four new servos and another cheap airframe (And a battery, because I can't find the old one :D). I'd go tear my receiver out, and put it in a plane, but I don't think I've got the room in front of the apartment to fly it.

Gryf

>>> What type of heli was it, do you still have it? <<<

It's an Exceed G2/Walkera from Xheli.com. This one, specifically. Yes, I still have it! It's all rebuilt with some improved components, and I could have it flying again pretty easily. I pulled its receiver to use in FT swappables, but now that I've switched to a Tactic TX/RX combo, I plan to return the RX to the heli. And one of these days, it will fly again.

;-)

Gryf

Gryf

BTW, as posted elsewhere in this section, I recently had the same uncommanded throttle spool-up with my Bixler, and the cause appeared to be a reversed throttle channel. I suspect it was the same case with the heli. Oh well, this is how we learn. ;-)

Gryf

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Don't forget to re-bind after reversing the throttle, so the failsafe is set to 0 throttle (signal loss/power off the radio).

Yeah be careful with CP helis! I learned on a Honeybee FP V2, a very good machine (for the price, and considering it's fixed pitch). As someone else mentioned, I can't go back to FP now, it's just... boring ;)

Don't give up on helis! They're soooo much fun! I started with that over 4 years ago, and although I try a lot of new things, I always come back to helicopters at some point :)