The XHover Win5!!!

Liam B

Howdy everyone!

So I picked up an XHover Win5 ultralight frame from French for a great deal along with some other goodies. I’ve really been wanting to get into racing for a while, and I saw this as a great opportunity.

It sat for a couple weeks after I got it due to excessive English homework. But finally, I got a bit of a break this week and decided to pull out the iron and build it up. It was also then that I realized that my closest MultiGP chapter was having a race. So I signed up!

Then disaster struck: more English homework AND math! Uh oh!

So finally I got a break tonight, the night before the race! I sat my tired butt down and decided to slave at it all night, with the help of my best friend and fellow flying buddy. And we finished at 11:30! So it’s off to the (drone) races tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Here is a picture of her all built up. What a beauty!

332D3786-98AB-49F8-B6CE-ABDEA0E1FDA5.jpeg

Also heres my parts list:

-XHover Win5
-Trusty Matek PDB
-RaceFlight Skitzo Revolt
-LittleBee 35a blheli_s
-GARTT 2205S 2300kv motors (pretty much red bottom knock offs but way more powerful and cheaper!)
-TBS Unify with external button located on arm for ease of channel switching
-RunCam Swift 2
-Aomway RHCP antenna (super old and broken:p)
-Probably some 5x4.8x3 V1S props for tomorrow

I also bought an IR transponder for tomorrow for possible lap timing. I haven’t installed it and don’t know if it’s actually needed.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Last edited:

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Liam, that looks awesome!!! Best of luck today.

I’m excited to hear how you like the 4.8 props. Those biblades may be good for a race too.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Good luck mate. Get us some video if you can in all the confusion of a first race day. Remember its more about completing laps then it is speed. You cant win being the fastest if you crash going fast.

Liam B

Yesterday didn’t go quite as well as I had imagined. Lots of mechanical failures, such as my video transmitter pigtail snapping and the receiver deciding to be passive aggressive and not talk to the FC. Luckily there were a lot of friendly people who helped try and get me back in the air for the day. I did, however get a few laps in and I was actually keeping up with people! Among the pilots were SFPV and FlyingBear who I believe both went to the DR1 invitational and just got back.

So I’ve learned one thing. Have backups! (All of these guys had at LEAST two quads with them!)

French

Sorry it didn’t go as planned, but it sounds like it was a good learning experience and you met some great people. Have you been able to get everything fixed yet? How’d the frame fly?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah three to four quads are better. You have one set up one way for open tracks with long runs and another set up for shorter runs with a lot of turns and hard cornering. Then you have two spares ready to go so all you do is load what ever pids you normally fly for what ever track conditions. Frames make a HUGE difference for different tracks and not just as far as weight goes.

Liam B

Sorry it didn’t go as planned, but it sounds like it was a good learning experience and you met some great people. Have you been able to get everything fixed yet? How’d the frame fly?

AMAZING! I thought it would feel strange on yaw because of the stretch X, but it cornered on the dime! Super quick and light as well. Hovers at nearly 1/5 throttle.

I've got it all fixed up, but I'm not too comfortable with the coating on the wire I'm using on my VTX, so I'm waiting on some silicone wire from Amazon.

Liam B

Yeah three to four quads are better. You have one set up one way for open tracks with long runs and another set up for shorter runs with a lot of turns and hard cornering. Then you have two spares ready to go so all you do is load what ever pids you normally fly for what ever track conditions. Frames make a HUGE difference for different tracks and not just as far as weight goes.

Indeed, I certainly wish I could afford that! :p The lighter frame is a lot more predictable if that makes sense.

I think I'll put some FPV equipment in the Chameleon and it can serve as my freestyle/backup quad.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yup I am loving the Stretch Reaper on Taz. Completely different feel from the Alien.

No one says you have to buy all this stuff at once. Save up and get the parts over time then when you have what you mapped out in hand build it up.

Liam B

Yup I am loving the Stretch Reaper on Taz. Completely different feel from the Alien.

No one says you have to buy all this stuff at once. Save up and get the parts over time then when you have what you mapped out in hand build it up.

That’s my plan. I work 7 hours on Saturday and get paid $50, so I’ll probably get the camera stuff gradually.

Liam B

Hey guys, I'm only getting 10 feet of range on my Unify. Antenna pigtail is direct soldered and so are the video and power leads. I'm using ImmersionRC channel 5 with 500mw. The antenna is missing a leaf but has worked fine previously.

French

Pictures are worth a thousand words. How’d you direct solder on the antenna? Sounds like an issue there.

Liam B

Pictures are worth a thousand words. How’d you direct solder on the antenna? Sounds like an issue there.

Here’s a picture of what I did. It’s not mine, but it’s the exact same setup:

9720FF14-E0B1-488B-BB79-31AB0EF5CC18.jpeg

Also, it only happens on E band. A and B band are just fine. Could it be a google receiver problem? I wasn’t able to pick up E band at the races at all. Now I can but only for 10 feet.

I’ve been flying the quad a lot recently. I really like the way it flies, even more than the Chameleon. The bottom mount battery seems to give it a better ability to corner and it really floats on dives and loops and such.

Last edited:

French

It sounds like it’s in pit mode. Are you sure it’s transmitting at full power? Do you think there could be a soldering issue with the direct soldered antenna?

Liam B

It sounds like it’s in pit mode. Are you sure it’s transmitting at full power? Do you think there could be a soldering issue with the direct soldered antenna?

It could be a soldering issue. Probably with the positive end of the coaxial. I’m using google 500mw on both, and it wasn’t in pit mode while testing on E band. It was almost like my goggles were on the wrong channel. Also, I get those horizontal lines across the screen while on E band, but only on E band.