This is a music video I made with my Dji Phantom 2 of Virginia Tech University

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
Looks great.

I hate my P2V+ for a variety of reason but its still the best on the market.

You did some really nice flying. Kudos.

What kind of attention did you attract while shooting?
I would assume someone would be curious about it.

Keep it up,
C_E

DroneDude

eye to sky and in the sky
Reply: I had a police talk to us..

Looks great.

I hate my P2V+ for a variety of reason but its still the best on the market.

You did some really nice flying. Kudos.

What kind of attention did you attract while shooting?
I would assume someone would be curious about it.

Keep it up,
C_E

Just the typical attention of people looking at it except when we filmed the arts building... A police came up to us and just was wondering what we were doing. He was very nice and we actually started talking about drones (quadcopters) and somewhere along the line we talked about his K9 dog... So yeah, no negative attention! What don't you like about the Phantom V2+? I love mine, I haven't had a single issue.

Crash_Expert

Aerial Photographer
That's pretty cool.
It's great when cops are interested and don't have a negative outlook on it.
Our RC club even has a cop as a member. He's an amazing RC pilot...

I don't want this thread to get too off topic but I'll try to explain it as quickly as possible.
The Phantom 2 Vision + is an amazing helicopter and takes amazingly smooth video for the normal person and is completely worth buying for $1300.

With that said, we own a video production company.

My tricopter was my main AP ship and flew amazingly well and the loiter function of the APM was miles ahead of the GPS dependent loiter of the Naza.
I could use my DX8 instead of this POS controller.
Everything is cheap plastic compared to the delrin and carbon fiber of the Titan.
The Phantom is terrible for experienced 3D pilots like myself in terms of the quality of gimbals in the Phantom radio compared to my DX8.
I have broken 4 props due to stupid tip over landings because the landing skids are so dang narrow. My Titan had a very wide stance.
It uses proprietary propellers and batteries that are ridiculously expensive.
The pan is useless and the video cannot be used as it is too jerky.
Those are just the flight characteristics etc.
My biggest peeve is the camera.
It sucks. Hands down.
The color is good and matches my Canon 70D but the picture isn't sharp at all and is very blurry compared to my GoPro Hero 3+ Black.
But that is also a problem with me too.
I want the picture quality similar to my Canon 5D Mark iii and I know that cannot be achieved without actually using a 5D.
But this is just nitpicking at this point.

Sorry for rambling for too long.
The Phantom doesn't suck for 99% of the population that uses it.
I am that 1%.
A $1300 camera ship is total crap compared to our $3500 cameras and equipment.
I know we will eventually get an S1000 to fill out demand.

So yea.
That's what I don't like.
:)

C_E

Last edited:

DroneDude

That's pretty cool.
It's great when cops are interested and don't have a negative outlook on it.
Our RC club even has a cop as a member. He's an amazing RC pilot...

I don't want this thread to get too off topic but I'll try to explain it as quickly as possible.
The Phantom 2 Vision + is an amazing helicopter and takes amazingly smooth video for the normal person and is completely worth buying for $1300.

With that said, we own a video production company.

My tricopter was my main AP ship and flew amazingly well and the loiter function of the APM was miles ahead of the GPS dependent loiter of the Naza.
I could use my DX8 instead of this POS controller.
Everything is cheap plastic compared to the delrin and carbon fiber of the Titan.
The Phantom is terrible for experienced 3D pilots like myself in terms of the quality of gimbals in the Phantom radio compared to my DX8.
I have broken 4 props due to stupid tip over landings because the landing skids are so dang narrow. My Titan had a very wide stance.
It uses proprietary propellers and batteries that are ridiculously expensive.
The pan is useless and the video cannot be used as it is too jerky.
Those are just the flight characteristics etc.
My biggest peeve is the camera.
It sucks. Hands down.
The color is good and matches my Canon 70D but the picture isn't sharp at all and is very blurry compared to my GoPro Hero 3+ Black.
But that is also a problem with me too.
I want the picture quality similar to my Canon 5D Mark iii and I know that cannot be achieved without actually using a 5D.
But this is just nitpicking at this point.

Sorry for rambling for too long.
The Phantom doesn't suck for 99% of the population that uses it.
I am that 1%.
A $1300 camera ship is total crap compared to our $3500 cameras and equipment.
I know we will eventually get an S1000 to fill out demand.

So yea.
That's what I don't like.
:)

C_E

Oh Okay! Thats understandable, I do agree the image isn't good compared to the hero. I've found that it is hard to get a good smooth pan shot, but just takes a steady hand. I would absolutly upgrade to something bigger and better if I could! I am currently building a quad, its a 550mm so it might carry a go pro, however its my first quad build so we'll see how it turns out... Im using the Naza in it, I figured I would go with something better than a KK. The thing I love about the Phantom is its ease to fly and fun to fly. I don't like the landing gear, I tipped it over twice today on landing! I always land in grass to be caucious. Mabie once I get some excperience building quads ill build something big to carry my Lumix. The Dji S1000 would be great for your production, you can't get much better than that! Anyway, Im glad you liked the video, Thanks!

DroneDude

I want to do something like this when I attend there next year.
Hopefully I can get permission :)

It was done with a Cinestar 8 with a 5D Mark ii.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDkA2RqvH8Q

C_E

Wow, thats amazing! They have a really nice gimbal on that too.

Yeah, permission is the hard part. Good luck and let me know when you get a video together!

I'll probably post more music vids on the forum next week, Ill let you know if you're interested or you can watch them on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsWY7lSHC4hUife5lkSYLxw/videos