Solved Thrust line issues

OlliePackman

So I have crashed my ft edge 540 twice and bust the nose up pretty good. I glued it all back together and threw away the completely shattered prop but now the motor doesn't look like it sits right. It was a pretty hard nose down attitude impact into a hedge so it doesn't surprise that things are ascew. The thrust line now looks like it is pitching down quite a lot - have a look for yourself on the picture. I would have thought that this would cause issues in flight
IMG_20200521_173516.jpg
and prop clearence but I don't know whether it is severe enough to be worried about. If it is going to cause problems then how can I fix it because even if I could get to where the motor is attached (the nose encases it making it hard to access) , I don't know how I could sort it anyway.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Looks like you messed up the fire wall & attached Foam board. You will likely need to cut out the bad pieces and glue in new. That's the great thing about building your own planes, you built it, you can fix it.

The Edge is a great plane but the repairs are more difficult. I prefer the FT3D, easier to build & repair. It will do all the tricks the Edge will do.

OlliePackman

Looks like you messed up the fire wall & attached Foam board. You will likely need to cut out the bad pieces and glue in new. That's the great thing about building your own planes, you built it, you can fix it.

The Edge is a great plane but the repairs are more difficult. I prefer the FT3D, easier to build & repair. It will do all the tricks the Edge will do.
Well yes theoretically but can the pilot do all the tricks?.... No I can't😂. Being really stubborn, I decided the edge was going to be my second ever plane after the Apprentice S and my first ever build. I now really regret my decision as I haven't had longer than a 30 second flight so far because I keep stalling because I am so used to the speed at which the Apprentice flies at. I am not going to even think about getting the ft3d because I just can't fly this stuff yet I don't think although I am a bit more experienced than last time.

On a spereate note, if I could somehow melt the glue away from the bit of Balsa that the motor is screwed to so that it wasn't attached to the foam, would it work if I just cut the foam into shape again and just have the motor mounted a bit further back into the plane or would that be too sketchy.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
On a spereate note, if I could somehow melt the glue away from the bit of Balsa that the motor is screwed to so that it wasn't attached to the foam, would it work if I just cut the foam into shape again and just have the motor mounted a bit further back into the plane or would that be too sketchy.
Hard to say until you cut it open and have a look.

I’d recommend you set this plane aside for now, the Edge nor the FT3D make a good second plane. They are a 5-6th plane. Take a look at the Bushwhacker for a second plane. Both the Bushwhacker and Appreciate are capable of a lot of performance. Start by slowly turning up the throws. When the throws are maxed out (about 45 degrees) start slowly moving the CG aft about 3/4 of an inch, move it ONLY 1/4 at a time.

When you can fly an inverted figure 8, you will be ready for the Edge.

OlliePackman

Hard to say until you cut it open and have a look.

I’d recommend you set this plane aside for now, the Edge nor the FT3D make a good second plane. They are a 5-6th plane. Take a look at the Bushwhacker for a second plane. Both the Bushwhacker and Appreciate are capable of a lot of performance. Start by slowly turning up the throws. When the throws are maxed out (about 45 degrees) start slowly moving the CG aft about 3/4 of an inch, move it ONLY 1/4 at a time.

When you can fly an inverted figure 8, you will be ready for the Edge.
I had a Hobby King SE5 for my second plane. I can fly that well now. I had the ft simple soarer for my third which I have moded to have flaps and ailerons but I haven't flown it that much yet. I have just ordered the twin legacy next.