To buy or not to buy (or rather when and what to buy)

Sharpe

Hi drone fans,
So I want to get a drone, but strangely I find myself struggling more with WHEN to buy one rather than what one to buy.

I have decided that of the Mavic Pro and the Phantom 4 pro neither fits the bill:
- Mavic, better size and transportability.
- P4p, better camera (particularly for stills but also vid).
- Both are good for flight time (ok a slight edge to p4p).
- Both are good for controls, though for different reasons.
- Both are good for stability.
- Neither are perfect for collision avoidance. Yes the P4p very good and better than the Mavic, but it still lacks vertical collision avoidance.
- Mavic for cost, but let's be fair - you get what you pay for in this world.

So, as the most impatient, impulsive person on the planet I am hoping the good people of the forum could help with:

Do I wait, or do I buy an 'imperfect' drone now? And no I can't just upgrade in a year or two. The wife may actually kill me if I get this let alone and upgrade in the future - so I have to be content with what I get.

My gut feel is that the Mavic 2 and the phantom 5 will likely be released some time later this year (I assume some time late Q3 or early Q4). Mavic 2 leaks/speculation is more vague, possibly implying it is further from release than the P5x. Although waiting for either may prove too hard a task for me!

But would the wait be worth it?

Phantom 5 leaks/speculation implies it will have the 5/6 way collision avoidance I want, and I assume it will come with at least the P4p camera, but this time on a 360 gimbal. Also, it appears to have a (slightly) smaller size (still not a patch on the mavic) with retractable landing gear bringing it a little closer to that Mavic Pro size hurdle I would like to clear.

What i can find on the mavic 2 seems to suggest it will have vertical collision avoidance. If so its probably fair to suggest if it's got 360 degree collision avoidance in the horizontal plain, vertical (look up) sensors being last on the P series (if it is on the P5x). It's fair to assume it will be at least the same physical size as the Mavic pro, if not smaller. It's hard to say what camera it will have, so I won't speculate.

So:
Buy now (which one)?
OR:
Wait in the hope thst the Mavic 2 or P5x will be much closer to my 'perfect' drone spec and not too painful a wait?
Also.....:
Assuming the P5x does come out before the Mavic 2, do people think the Mavic 2 will be the one to wait for or will it fall short of my 'Mavic size/portability, P4p camera quality, 360 degree+vertical anti collision' 'perfect drone?

Let the guidance and speculation commence :)

Many thanks,
- Sharpe

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow Sharpe, what fun helping someone else spend their money!

The newer often has what the older does not, though sometime things seem to step backward. I doubt that will happen in this instance. Whatever the future feature it will come at a price and in the end, your money, your call.

When I buy I not only look at the features, but more importantly the features I need or want. Some features that might be essential for some pilots might at the same time be overkill for another.

Have you written down on paper what you need/want to do with this platform?
Have you decided how much you are/are not willing to pay?
Have you cross checked these things with what's available?
How certain are you that AP platform prognosticators are reliable?
What if the newer platforms offer nothing you'll really utilize well?
Is the compactness/transportability a concern?

From what you've said it sounds like you're sitting on a wad of cash that you're dying to use on the latest and greatest platform. Since there will always be upgrades you will have to settle for what's best at and available knowing in a year or two something else will be better and available. So what's then more important, the when or the what?

I can't tell you what to buy. I can tell you though that whatever you buy you had better post video, or it never happened.:p

Are you flying anything already? Where in the world do you fly?

Best wishes,
—Jim