To tri or to T? That is the question

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
As long as the props clear, it's fine. Generally the further away the motors are, the more stable it will be.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Mine is at 18 inches apart on the quad...

This is an example of the video I got from it.

But... you're asking about a tricopter.

My tri has it's motors 26 inches apart.

Here's an example of what that flies like.

Daveed

wow that tri has to be super stable to b able to fly thru all those trees. can u post a pic? The frame i have right now the are about 24" apart but the motors and escs are too small to handle the weight so im probably gonna end up buying new motors and escs since i cant find a big enough motor on HK that runs at 12a. in case ur wondering im using rimfire 300 with ss-12 esc and 8x3.8 props

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
The picture of the first tcopter I posted on the 2nd page has it's motors spaced at 17.5 inches. I'm running hexTronik 24gram 1300kv Outrunners on it paired with Turnigy 12A plush ESCs w/ BLHeli firmware and 9x4.7 SF props. With a 3s 25c 2200mAh LiPo, AUW is around 550grams and I get about 12-14min flights.

A few moments ago, I maidened my new tri.
T-Copter 600.jpg

The motor spacing on it is 24inches, it's running DT-750s, F-30A ESCs w/SimonK, 11x4.7 SF props, and a 3s 30c 2450mAh LiPo. AUW 960grams. Since I have only 1 flight on it, and forgot to set my timer, I'm unsure of it's flight time. As a guess, I'd say it was around 10min. I'm still tweaking, and learning, the Megapirates firmware on the AIOP, so I flew it with an old KKboard (LOVE that old board, it's soo simple). It's by far the biggest multirotor I've flown, and it felt bigger in the air too, compared to my smaller tri which is a lot more nimble, but all-in-all, it flew really well. I think I'm going to like it. :D

Since you went with the 1000kv motors, depending on what props you use and your total flying weight, you'll be right on the edge with a 12-15a ESC, a 20A ESC would be ideal. That being said, if you keep your total weight down, run with a 9x4.7 or 9x5 prop on a 3s LiPo, you should be alright just so long as you don't fly it too hard. From reading the data other people have posted in the discussion thread, with a 9x4.7 prop, you can expect around 740grams of thrust at 11A. 740x3=2220 for a 2:1 thrust/weight ratio, your AUW should be around 1110 grams. Since you'll want to take it easy, as to not burn up your ESCs, keep your AUW around 900-950grams and you should be safe. However, if you were to use 20A ESCs, you'd have more wiggle room in the performance/payload dept.

Last edited:

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
But... you're asking about a tricopter.

My tri has it's motors 26 inches apart.

Here's an example of what that flies like.

Nice video monkey, you're demonstrating a lot more than just a super stable tricopter, that's some mighty fine piloting too.

Daveed

Im going for a 24" motor to motor with the tray being 12"x3" , where exacly do i put the FC? Right at the CG?

Daveed

Ok what would b better and lighter for top and bottom plates 2mm aluminum sheet or 5mm plywood? Also what about vibration dampening for the camera tray?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
As long as the plywood sheet has support or stiffening points of some kind within a radius of 5-7cm of each other, you really don't need it to be so thick. I've used 4mm finish quality Lauan sheet. If you can find marine or 'okoume plywood' you can probably drop to 3mm. It's amazing stuff.

I would highly recommend David W's bent wire tray with the battery strapped tightly to it. The bent wire acts much like a cross between a c-shaped absorber and a coiled wire isolator. The battery is available as the most massive component on the multirotor, serendipitously offering up its mass as an inertial dampener.

Daveed

The build is done! Now i got tons of power with the new motors. Now to set it up tried to hover but it just feels realy twitchy how can i smoth things out?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
The build is done! Now i got tons of power with the new motors. Now to set it up tried to hover but it just feels realy twitchy how can i smoth things out?

Not quite sure what you mean by twitchy. But if it flies great, but it's just too sensitive, you probably need to add a bit of expo to your elevator and aileron on your transmitter. And a bit of stick scaling on the KK2 board.