Transmitter Module Mod

Some of the transmitter modules on the market today are designed for transmitters that have a module bay (like the FrSky Taranis or the Turnigy 9XR). However, some transmitters (like my Spektrum DX8) don't have a bay. I know that the modules can still be connected through the trainer port though (since it's a PPM signal). My question is: how?

Can someone post an article or reply to this thread with a diagram and an explanation of how to wire a module to the trainer port of a transmitter?

Thanks in advance!

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
I couldn't find anything specific but the only way I can imagine this working is that that you connect PPM out "ground" to the module "PPM in" and "ground". You then need to supply power to the external module somehow. The external module must have its own antenna.

Probably you have to put your radio in slave mode to stop it transmitting through its internal transmitter.

It seems that some/most models of Spektrum trainer port requires a mono 3.5mm jacked audio cable. The sleeve is ground and the tip is the ppm signal. A mono jack is required to get a good a ground connection.

The input pins for modules vary but for JR top to bottom it's

1. PPM In
2. 6.0v
3. v battery
4. ground
5. rf out - this was to connect back to the transmitter's internal antenna so goes unused

So you need to connect tip to pin 1 and sleeve to pin 4. Probably requirements vary for the 6.0v and v. battery pins depending on the module.

Take a look at the Tactic anylink and anylink2 since they just uses the trainer port.

Thank you so much, pressalltheknobs! The pin layout is just what I was looking for!

I was considering the Anylink, but I actually want to do this in order to use a 433mHz system.