Transmitter options for buddy box. Fly 72mhz

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
So here is my delema. Majorly limited budget situation. I really want to work on teaching my daughter how to fly. She is not a fan of me standing behind her and helping with the sticks it is frustrating her. She is only 6 years old about to be 7. After flying this past weekend it made me think a buddy box may be the best option. I have a couple options and surprisingly im leaning toward the used option and mod's.

Currently I have bought her a fpv vapor for Christmas. So I have the cheep TX for her on that. However I have 3 well 4 other aircraft we can fly via buddy via 72mhz.

1. Total price. 45-80$- Use my current high quality Futaba T6XA radio, buy a second T6XA for her prices seem 40-70$. Buy a futaba buddy cable $ 5-10$. Optional Buy a synthesized receivers from HK. 15$ a pop. Mainly use as buddy first. Later I can convert to 2.4 with the frsky 2.4 diy module so I can fly at flyins. In the end frsky is top of the line 2.4 right?

2. Total Price 20-50$ Buy just a buddy box to work with the futaba t6XA. In the end still will need to buy a TX later for her.

3. Total Price ~120$ Buy 2 TGY-i6 and buddy cable

4. Total price ~150$ Buy two Turnigy 9X + cable... Can add capability for the fpv vapor for ~30$ later.

5. Total Price ~ 163$ Buy one Turnigy 9xr 100 + FrSky 53$, or Orange DSMX Backorderd 30$ and buddy cable to futaba t6xa

6. Total Price ~ 140 Buy two Orange t-six TX and cable. Stuck with dsm2 not dsmx will be able to fly the fpv vapor on it..

I am sorta leaning toward get a second t6xa and cable.. Then I can later upgrade both to frsky if I want. It is a verry good TX cost me around 300$ in 2001.

Also note 72mhz is good for FPV which I have started.

Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Wait.. I could install a frsky module in 1 TX and a DSMX module in the other TX? That way she could fly the vapor she is getting for christmas on the t6xa in a buddy setup? There is the orange DIY module.. So literally I would have FM, DSMX, frisky options. :)

Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Seems like I am leaning to the buy another Futaba T6Xa.. They have a standard T6XA on ebay with a good battery for 59.95 or a super like I have for 79.95.. The controls are smooth and very high quality, has most of the features that new radios have. My wife however wont let me buy everything at once. So buy the TX now with buddy cable then next pay period buy the dsmx module to install so we can fly my daughters vapor santas may be bringing her if shes good. It sounds like the cheapest and best quality option I can find don't you think? Futaba makes very good radios and it was the top of the line 6 channel radio when I bought it. I really dont think a 40$-80$ radio is going to be made out of high quality parts. I paid I belive 300+$ for it in 2001... My dad got it as a HS graduation present for me.

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Usually you can cross-brand buddy box if you are willing to make the cable as the only thing they output is PPM via the trainer lead. The only thing that might be a little bit of an issue is the AETR order, which when making a buddy box that order generally has to be the same, which, for example, the DSMX ones will output TAER. I think the Turnigy's output the same as Futaba, which if so, they should be able to buddy box between them, as well as FrSky.

In fact, you can make a wireless buddy system with a PPM compatible receiver that works with the student transmitter...

Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Usually you can cross-brand buddy box if you are willing to make the cable as the only thing they output is PPM via the trainer lead. The only thing that might be a little bit of an issue is the AETR order, which when making a buddy box that order generally has to be the same, which, for example, the DSMX ones will output TAER. I think the Turnigy's output the same as Futaba, which if so, they should be able to buddy box between them, as well as FrSky.

In fact, you can make a wireless buddy system with a PPM compatible receiver that works with the student transmitter...

Depends on the radio from turningy I think most of them output JR.... the 9xr pro does both.. The t-six who the hell knows. Looks like they are using a svideo cable LOL!!! The 9x and 9xr pro are at the top of my list however when I told my wife the price + the module she flipped. LOL

The t6xa for sale that I found is the standard t6xa so no expo. However do kids really need expo?

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Well, I found a tested one on eBay for 79.95 that was a t6xa super, and from the same guy a 59.95$ t6xa regular without expo.. I messaged the shop and told him what I wanted to do and that its for my daughter to buddy box and adventualy use. I indicated expo which the basic model did not have would be useful to her. I asked if he would take 60.. He said he loves to help get kids into the hobby and said sure and sent me the 60$ offer. :) The spectrum module is going to have to wait.. So she won't be able to fly her FPV vapor on buddy box for now. However we can go out and fly the tiny trainer and scout on buddy box.. :) I got to now buy a buddy cable... I am going to get a round to round and a round to mini so I can use it on real flight with her..

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Have you considered the Devo range?? The 7E would be a nice small one for your daughter's hands as it's a reduced size one, and with the change to Deviation software it is directly compatible with DSM2 and DSMX without any further modifications, as well as having telemetry and 12 channels. There are other modifications that can be done, like adding additional modules that cost $10 each to add more protocols, and then there's the range mod to turn it into a full range transmitter, you can add a couple of extra switches, and the software is OpenTX based just like the Taranis and 9XR. And the good thing is it's under $60 with shipping from Banggood.

As for a main transmitter for yourself, there's the Devo 10 which is a larger transmitter with more switches and stuff, but installing Deviation on that gives it the same software options as with the 7E, but a more powerful unit, as well as the posibility to add modules too, so it's one you can expand on. The Devo 10 is just under $120 shipped from Banggood. And, they can both be buddyboxed

I just thought I would mention it because it will give you the same BNF options you was looking into with the T-Six, as well as plenty of expansion for the future, and costs very little to get her started with. The trainer cable outputs pure PPM too via a jack type plug, and you can remap the AETR order to fit what you need for the master transmitter.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Have you considered the Devo range?? The 7E would be a nice small one for your daughter's hands as it's a reduced size one, and with the change to Deviation software it is directly compatible with DSM2 and DSMX without any further modifications, as well as having telemetry and 12 channels. There are other modifications that can be done, like adding additional modules that cost $10 each to add more protocols, and then there's the range mod to turn it into a full range transmitter, you can add a couple of extra switches, and the software is OpenTX based just like the Taranis and 9XR. And the good thing is it's under $60 with shipping from Banggood.

As for a main transmitter for yourself, there's the Devo 10 which is a larger transmitter with more switches and stuff, but installing Deviation on that gives it the same software options as with the 7E, but a more powerful unit, as well as the posibility to add modules too, so it's one you can expand on. The Devo 10 is just under $120 shipped from Banggood. And, they can both be buddyboxed

I just thought I would mention it because it will give you the same BNF options you was looking into with the T-Six, as well as plenty of expansion for the future, and costs very little to get her started with. The trainer cable outputs pure PPM too via a jack type plug, and you can remap the AETR order to fit what you need for the master transmitter.
Those are cool however both would of been 180. I placed the tx order this morning. Got the guy to lower the price. I plan on puting adventualy the dsmx in one and frsky in the other.. Its very good tx.. My wife basicly gave me a deadline budget if 60$ :/ i allready have fm recivers also...

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Got my daughters tx just tested it out i was freaking out it wasent working then I relized it was in pcm mode and mode 1 instead of ppm mode and mode 2. Seems to work just like my other one.. I should have the trainer cables in a cople of days.. I had a mis comunication with my wife. she thought it was a christmas present for my daughter. I thought i was getting it to teach her how to fly prior to she getting her airplane.. So i showed my daugter it before...

image.jpg

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Just say it's an early christmas gift, and all is well!!

I'm having some transmitter fun too with my new Walkera Devo F4, but my fun is of a different kind, as it consists of going through its guts hehehe

F4 Insides.jpg DSCN2469.JPG