Why are most bnf drones FrSky?

JBinFla

I fly Spektrum. I'm noticing it's hard to find any BNF drones with DSMX. At least since Horizon quit selling drones. Most FrSky BNF drones can be had for same price as PNP (if it's available) so I end up tacking on $30 for a receiver. Is there a reason most drones come with FrSky? Is it somehow more suited, many DSMX planes out there, but drones seem to be mostly FrSky? It's to the point I'm thinking of getting one of those AT16's or whatever I hear work with Spektrum, Futaba, FrSky and many others right out of the box (and have easy crossfire install). To be honest, when these "other brand" units came on the market I always thought they were "cheap stuff" and that somehow my twice-the-price for half-the-channels DX9 was better. But online it seems FrSky, AT, Jumper and some others are very popular, and don't seem to have reliability issues. Granted I haven't

I guess I'm starting to wonder if I should buy one of those multi-protocol transmitters I see they have that I can bind all my spektrum stuff to and also all the BNF stuff that comes with FrSky I've been eyeballing. Is there any reason these other "not top 3 affordable" brands shouldn't be considered? I see they even come with hall effect sticks, which I think are the good ones but will confess I don't really know. I'm just a stick basher who likes to have fun.

Thanks for any help!

- Joe

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Funny. Back when I was buying BNF, it was all spectrum. Now I build my own or look for PNF and bring my own RX. Guess it depends on where you are shopping too. Some sites favor one over the other, while others sell whatever their vendors give them. What kind of drone in particular are you looking for.

JBinFla

Is there a reason it's better for drones? As to what Im looking for, currently playing with race/freestyle style drones, looking to get a nice collection of sizes. That is, if I can keep from sinking them in the pond out back :( I still need to learn to fly Acro. I can fly FPV acro decently as long as I'm not in tight quarters, but if I try to do line of sight I crash and burn pretty easily. I'm dying for the Flywoo explorer 4" long range to finally be available. I'm gonna build one of those Li-Ion batteries to get 20=30 minute flight times.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
..... but for airplanes Spektrum is usually considered the best.
Maybe in the past if you just wanted a drop in RX, but if you have an advanced setup using lots of channels, and/or an FC, or you want all the telemetry, I'll take FrSky. I've flipped the majority of my gear from spectrum to FrSky and am not looking back. With a multiprotocol module on my FrSky so I can bind to my spectrum BNFs, I'll be selling off my DX8.

Last edited:

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Is there a reason it's better for drones? As to what Im looking for, currently playing with race/freestyle style drones, looking to get a nice collection of sizes. That is, if I can keep from sinking them in the pond out back :( I still need to learn to fly Acro. I can fly FPV acro decently as long as I'm not in tight quarters, but if I try to do line of sight I crash and burn pretty easily. I'm dying for the Flywoo explorer 4" long range to finally be available. I'm gonna build one of those Li-Ion batteries to get 20=30 minute flight times.
I find FRsky much easier to configure in betaflight. Spektrum is kinda a hassle with the stick scaling and all. It is doable though, and it doesn't take much to turn a Flywoo Explorer to spektrum.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I never found it a problem to set up in Betaflight...I think it's just that drone guys have a...well, not a hate, but more a "dislike" for DSMX. I want more options because it gives me more of a choice - plus my Mark I eyeball isn't so good at seeing the soldering points for soldering on a receiver board onto some of the Whoop sized drones (nor is my hand as steady as it once was).

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, I have a nice collection of sizes (whoop to 650), number of props (singlecopter up to octocopter), and also have a good mix of planes from a 250g FPV Strix Nano Goblin, Some foamboard, some balsa builds, up to a RMRC Anaconda 2060mm. I run them all on a FrSky X9D+. Plenty of switches, sliders, dials, and channels to map to whatever you want. This will be key when the Anaconda is in the air, for controlling gimbal(s) and camera(s) gear. Even have a full telemetry and voice alerts which is something that I could never do with Spektrum.
20190513_123001.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

sprzout

Mentor
Yeah, I have a nice collection of sizes (whoop to 650), number of props (singlecopter up to octocopter), and also have a good mix of planes from a 250g FPV Strix Nano Goblin, Some foamboard, some balsa builds, up to a RMRC Anaconda 2060mm. I run them all on a FrSky X9D+. Plenty of switches, sliders, dials, and channels to map to whatever you want. This will be key when the Anaconda is in the air, for controlling gimbal(s) and camera(s) gear. Even have a full telemetry and voice alerts which is something that I could never do with Spektrum.
View attachment 181506

Cheers!
LitterBug

Spektrum has full telemetry and voice alerts; you just have to have a transmiter that supports it. My DX6 gen 2 had it, and my ix12 has it (alhough, I'd never recommend the ix12 to anyone because of its ridiculous load times and model switching times). And configuring switches and dials to do certain functions is doable on the Spektrums; not sure where there's a difference on it, unless you're looking at the cheaper, older models?

Not trying to argue on it, just trying to understand if maybe it's just different, older models not doing it?

JBinFla

My DX9 allows all of that, but I've never really used much. Since I'm looking to do FPV I'm more interested in the OSD telemetry. On planes I've found pulling my eyes away from the plane to look at my TX is a risky maneuver. If I need to look at a timer or something I'll get my plane close, up high and level and do a quick looksie, but nothing more. Not sure if it's my age (46) or just normal but in those few seconds to look away I've almost lost a plane (as in, physically lost it in the sky, which I guess, is almost losing a plane in it's own right).

Thanks for the input, given that I'm spending $30/whack I may go ahead and buy that AT16 thing and start binding all my stuff to it. it's cheap enough and if it doesn't leave me hanging on anything I'll be able to get a good price for the DX9, they seem to hold their value well.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Spektrum has full telemetry and voice alerts; you just have to have a transmiter that supports it. My DX6 gen 2 had it, and my ix12 has it (alhough, I'd never recommend the ix12 to anyone because of its ridiculous load times and model switching times). And configuring switches and dials to do certain functions is doable on the Spektrums; not sure where there's a difference on it, unless you're looking at the cheaper, older models?

Not trying to argue on it, just trying to understand if maybe it's just different, older models not doing it?

Yeah, we could go back and forth on this and never accomplish anything. I started out on, and have been down the Spektrum path, and for me, it was no where near as flexible as what I can do with FrSky. Especially when it comes to bang for the buck. What Spektrum can do now as far as telemetry may be "OK", but FrSky has had that for years and is MUCH better supported on flight controllers. It is just now becoming a thing for Spektrum telemetry in *flight and other flight controllers. It just flat wasn't there for flight controllers when I wanted it, so I went elsewhere.

Cheers!
LB

sprzout

Mentor
Yeah, we could go back and forth on this and never accomplish anything. I started out on, and have been down the Spektrum path, and for me, it was no where near as flexible as what I can do with FrSky. Especially when it comes to bang for the buck. What Spektrum can do now as far as telemetry may be "OK", but FrSky has had that for years and is MUCH better supported on flight controllers. It is just now becoming a thing for Spektrum telemetry in *flight and other flight controllers. It just flat wasn't there for flight controllers when I wanted it, so I went elsewhere.

Cheers!
LB

Well, I'm honestly wondering what Spektrum is missing that FrSky has...I know the voice alerts have been there for quite some time, and regardless of whether it's FrSky or Spektrum, it's a MUST for me. Having it tell me I have 1 minute remaining, or 30 seconds left, so I don't have to take my eyes off the radio - HUGE help.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
having come fairly late to the party in this (and happen to have Spectrum stuff... but if I was to start over, would almost certainly have something with OpenTX on it instead).

yes, Spectrum has all the same set of features... but not at the same price. A quick look. I can get a Taranis Q X7 for $108, which has 16 channels, speech, JR-type modules, etc, etc. To get that same feature set in Spectrum I am looking at the iX12 for a mere 12 channels and general feature parody at $630.

An 'entry level' spectrum radio comes in at $150-200, so I can get top features for entry level prices.

The only thing that isn't clear in this, is the performance spread between the systems (however the JR-type module with an appropriate radio seems to be the choice for long range/low latency) and the quality of the hardware.

does that help Sprzout? I don't think that it is 'does this feature exist?' but 'how much do I need to pay to get feature set x?'

sprzout

Mentor
having come fairly late to the party in this (and happen to have Spectrum stuff... but if I was to start over, would almost certainly have something with OpenTX on it instead).

yes, Spectrum has all the same set of features... but not at the same price. A quick look. I can get a Taranis Q X7 for $108, which has 16 channels, speech, JR-type modules, etc, etc. To get that same feature set in Spectrum I am looking at the iX12 for a mere 12 channels and general feature parody at $630.

An 'entry level' spectrum radio comes in at $150-200, so I can get top features for entry level prices.

The only thing that isn't clear in this, is the performance spread between the systems (however the JR-type module with an appropriate radio seems to be the choice for long range/low latency) and the quality of the hardware.

does that help Sprzout? I don't think that it is 'does this feature exist?' but 'how much do I need to pay to get feature set x?'

We all know that cheaper doesn't always mean better...But I understand what you're saying. I don't like having to go through YouTube videos to learn how to use something, and unfortunately, if the drone world is only going to support FrSky, I'll be moving away from that to fixed wings. It's a shame, because there are a lot of people who have Spektrum that are being left out...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well, I'm honestly wondering what Spektrum is missing that FrSky has...I know the voice alerts have been there for quite some time, and regardless of whether it's FrSky or Spektrum, it's a MUST for me. Having it tell me I have 1 minute remaining, or 30 seconds left, so I don't have to take my eyes off the radio - HUGE help.

Not sure what you consider telemetry or when you think it was available. That sounds more like a countdown timer than telemetry. Telemetry to me is a data link back from the Flight controller/UAV (multirotor, plane, rover, etc...) with "ALL" the data that is available. RX RSSI, GPS Coordinates, GPS Altitude, Speed, Barometric Altitude, Heading, Compass, distance to home, direction to home, Battery voltage, Current, battery %, Mah consumed, Flight mode, PIDs, Time armed, etc... The ONLY way any of that was possible on Spektrum was via the OSD on a FPV feed. Not very helpful for flying LOS and no voice alerts if voltage sagged, etc. it is only now starting to be added to Betaflight/Ardupilot/iNav, etc.... and would require all new RXes since the old Satellites did not support Data/telemetry back to the TX at all. The first "race Satellite with telemetry" they had would provide telemetry from Spectrum sensors, but not the FC. So that would require a duplication of sensors at a VERY high cost for their sensors. Just another way to make the consumer $pend more on the product$. You gotta $pend $pend $pend for mediocre switches and joysticks on a radio that they don't want you to service or update/upgrade parts yourself. Kinda reminds me of the closed apple environment.

As @JasonK pointed out, you gotta pay more for more channels of Spektrum. My old basic X9D+ can do 16 channels no problem and has been able to since earth cooled.. The latest FrSky Access protocol on their new TXes allow up to 24 channels.

Plenty of other rabbit holes to go down of what I see as shortcomings, but like I said, I've owned several Spektrum radios over the last five years, seen the light, and am not going back to a closed product.

LB

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
We all know that cheaper doesn't always mean better...But I understand what you're saying. I don't like having to go through YouTube videos to learn how to use something, and unfortunately, if the drone world is only going to support FrSky, I'll be moving away from that to fixed wings. It's a shame, because there are a lot of people who have Spektrum that are being left out...
last I saw Drib was still using spectrum and spectrum can definitely be used for drones... your just going to have to wire up your receiver yourself (which outside of the tinywoop class stuff shouldn't be much of an issue).

I definitely don't think that 'cheaper is better' but given that I have a Dx8e and a Dx6e so that I can fly and buddy box my kids.... I have spent something like $500 in just those 2 radios, where I could have got more features in 2 radios for $~250 (or even less... my oldest I got a FlySky FS-i6 for ~50 for the TX and receiver and it is almost as feature rich as the Dx6e, but the gimbles aren't quite as nice and it seems to have less 'steps' in the channel steps).

LitterBug

Techno Nut
....if the drone world is only going to support FrSky, I'll be moving away from that to fixed wings. It's a shame, because there are a lot of people who have Spektrum that are being left out...
The drone world didn't do it to Spektrum. Spektrum (horizon Hobby) did it by not supporting the Drone world. They want you to buy in to their closed system and do not support making their products easily used by other manufacturers in the ways others have. When is the last time you saw a Horizon Hobby product support anything other than Spektrum Natively?????

EDIT: Even on the current DX8 product page it states the following for telemetry:
*Requires a Spektrum telemetry module and telemetry sensors, all sold separately.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think one of the main reasons people dont use spectrum on quads is they scale their control signals short unlike others that run the full 1000us to 2000us signals as default. Most users do not even know that is a necessity to change that for best performance. Having such a short resolution out of the box quads feel pretty darn scary. Its like you run high rates with no expo (super rate in the quad world for you stick pilots)

Also with the open structure you have more then one way to do things like dual arm switching where you have to use a combination of switches to arm. Global settings that transfer to every model like your personalized voice alerts or other telemetry. Spectrum is just like the local hobby shop. They are limiting what can be done with their gear and keeping prices high. We see how that is working for the local hobby shops they are just a little bigger and will take longer to become extinct.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I definitely don't think that 'cheaper is better' but given that I have a Dx8e and a Dx6e so that I can fly and buddy box my kids.... I have spent something like $500 in just those 2 radios, where I could have got more features in 2 radios for $~250 (or even less... my oldest I got a FlySky FS-i6 for ~50 for the TX and receiver and it is almost as feature rich as the Dx6e, but the gimbles aren't quite as nice and it seems to have less 'steps' in the channel steps).

I don't always equate more expensive to being better. (Often it's not) I look for the best bang for the buck, flexibility, upgradeability, customization, etc. Closed, proprietary systems tend to inflate their prices and be slow to adopt new features.

Bricks

Master member
With Spektrum 100% equals 1100ui to 1900ui 125% equals equals 1000ui to 2000ui which needs to be changed in the servo setup travel for quads. With FfSky 80% is 1100ui to 1900ui at 100% it is 1000ui to 2000ui not really a big deal. Make the change from AETR to TAER. in channel mapping to setup a 6 position you mix a 2 position switch to a 3 position switch for 6 modes..