Why are most bnf drones FrSky?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
With Spektrum 100% equals 1100ui to 1900ui 125% equals equals 1000ui to 2000ui which needs to be changed in the servo setup travel for quads. With FfSky 80% is 1100ui to 1900ui at 100% it is 1000ui to 2000ui not really a big deal. Make the change from AETR to TAER. in channel mapping to setup a 6 position you mix a 2 position switch to a 3 position switch for 6 modes..
Yeah, and once you do it for one model, you just copy that model when you set up the next one. That was never an issue for me.

JBinFla

having come fairly late to the party in this (and happen to have Spectrum stuff... but if I was to start over, would almost certainly have something with OpenTX on it instead).

yes, Spectrum has all the same set of features... but not at the same price. A quick look. I can get a Taranis Q X7 for $108, which has 16 channels, speech, JR-type modules, etc, etc. To get that same feature set in Spectrum I am looking at the iX12 for a mere 12 channels and general feature parody at $630.

An 'entry level' spectrum radio comes in at $150-200, so I can get top features for entry level prices.

The only thing that isn't clear in this, is the performance spread between the systems (however the JR-type module with an appropriate radio seems to be the choice for long range/low latency) and the quality of the hardware.

does that help Sprzout? I don't think that it is 'does this feature exist?' but 'how much do I need to pay to get feature set x?'

This is kind of what I was wondering. I've been a "top 3" (or maybe 4) type guy, originally it was Airtronics, Futaba and JR. When Spektrum came out eventually I viewed them as a top and since I was interested in a lot of the BNF stuff I went that route with this round. I still have my old Futaba 9CAP which I happened to like the layout and menu much better but it's older technology.

When FrSky, FlySky, Radiomaster and a bunch of others came out at 1/2 or even 1/4 the price of the radios I trusted my initial reaction was skeptical. After all if you're flying drones like I do (not much!) then you crash them all the time. So little blips here and there at least seem less important than when you have that 30cc plane in the air. But, it's been years now and those "inferior priced" radios don't have a reputation of shoddy performance, so maybe they are as good. This is me just thinking out loud, don't think I'm putting any of these radios down, I guess because of the cheap price I thought they were cheap radios but I see so many, and so many happy customers, that I don't think that's the case.

I guess the original intent was just to see why FrSky seemed to be the default receiver in just about every BNF drone out there with very few exceptions. Maybe it's price? Maybe it's better? Dunno. I may be in the market for a new radio, so now the TX16S or whatever it is with the module that binds to just about everything seems nice. Not a sexy looking TX, but it'll do. I like the Tarannis X9D+ (silver or carbon) for looks, but I hear so many horror stories about programmability (super capable, and super difficult). I'm the guy who likes the most useful 10% of features and the others never use so they just confuse me but I do see their appeal as when I was younger I did like to just tinker more.

Ahh, I digress, good morning all.

- Joe

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is kind of what I was wondering. I've been a "top 3" (or maybe 4) type guy, originally it was Airtronics, Futaba and JR. When Spektrum came out eventually I viewed them as a top and since I was interested in a lot of the BNF stuff I went that route with this round. I still have my old Futaba 9CAP which I happened to like the layout and menu much better but it's older technology.

When FrSky, FlySky, Radiomaster and a bunch of others came out at 1/2 or even 1/4 the price of the radios I trusted my initial reaction was skeptical. After all if you're flying drones like I do (not much!) then you crash them all the time. So little blips here and there at least seem less important than when you have that 30cc plane in the air. But, it's been years now and those "inferior priced" radios don't have a reputation of shoddy performance, so maybe they are as good. This is me just thinking out loud, don't think I'm putting any of these radios down, I guess because of the cheap price I thought they were cheap radios but I see so many, and so many happy customers, that I don't think that's the case.

I guess the original intent was just to see why FrSky seemed to be the default receiver in just about every BNF drone out there with very few exceptions. Maybe it's price? Maybe it's better? Dunno. I may be in the market for a new radio, so now the TX16S or whatever it is with the module that binds to just about everything seems nice. Not a sexy looking TX, but it'll do. I like the Tarannis X9D+ (silver or carbon) for looks, but I hear so many horror stories about programmability (super capable, and super difficult). I'm the guy who likes the most useful 10% of features and the others never use so they just confuse me but I do see their appeal as when I was younger I did like to just tinker more.

Ahh, I digress, good morning all.

- Joe

OPEN TX programming scared cookie cutter people afraid to learn something new. Its not so complicated at all if you passed 5th grade reading comprehension classes. More on this later...

Cases can always be painted or modded in ways to make them more sexeh. The Jumper series is just a direct competitor to the Taranis. The difference is the modules have been made internal to work with other protocols. Taranis just needs an external module to do the same thing.

The difference between the Taranis, Jumper, and now Radio Master is the quality of the electronics. They all use some form of open TX. From what I have seen Taranis is still better in that aspect. I use an x9D+ and added the hall effect gimbals. BEST radio upgrade EVER no matter what radio you use. The accuracy and smoothness that follows installation is amazing.

The only draw back is Taranis jumped the shark and went proprietary transmission protocol ACCESS. ACCT is stil functioning and now other 3rd party manufacturers are producing receivers in the void that has been opened so older Taranis will still be usable until the government simply makes it ALL illegal because we wont stop flying to make way for drone delivery and all the fanciful things wanting our air space.

Open tx sets up the basics the exact same way as any other radio ever made with internal programming. So you can hop into any of these open tx based radios and be like any other radio. there are even scripts tfor basic set ups where all you do is say yes or now to what is in your air frame. Then you can learn the features in your own time that allow infinite ways to do any type of mix or set up or even have it talk sweetly to you or even laugh at you when you crash. Mine even sings to me.

Mikej

I moved from Spektrum to FRSky about a year ago - for me cost was a big driver, along with flexibility and "future proofing"

Cost
Not just of TX (about 1/3 - 1/4 of the price), but of Rxs / sensors / just about everything - once you get used to FRSky pricing it woul dbe hard to go back.

Flexibility
Anything can be done 3 or 4 different ways in OpenTx, you aren't tied into Spektrum equipment and associated prices for example Telemetry Receivers are a third of the price and you can use your existing "other" receivers if you get the Multi Protocol Module. I can also programme any switch to do any function - can't do that on my DX7.

Future proofing
My DX7 was almost obselete shortly after I bought it - DSM2, no telemetry option, no anouncements, a rubbish timer, etc. etc.. OpenTx is constantly evolving, updates are free (donations welcome :) ), computer interface etc.

In th eend I bought a far more competent Tx + 3 receivers for less than I had paid for my old DX7 about 8 years previously, using an MPM I can use all of the old DSM Rxs (though I really miss the telemetry).

It was (as everybody says) a steep learning curve learning OpenTx, but so worthwhile.

I fly helis and planes, not drones - but it works brilliantly for those as well.

JBinFla

Yeah I've liked Spektrum for my planes, never had a radio issue with the DX9. Now that I'm messing with drones just finding a PPM receiver is impossible. So on my Pixhawk 4 Mini build I'm having to use a PPM encoder with a Spektrum receiver. Kinda sucks, it's a 250-sized frame so not huge and every little thing I'm adding is more weight. I bought one of those new mini SRXL2 drone receivers to use but I'm not seeing PX4 support for SRXL2 protocol. Ardupilot supports it, but for now I'm going with PX4. I may switch over if necessary.

I guess I'm gonna start researching a new transmitter, I definitely want that multi-protocol stuff, this being locked into one "family" sucks in this day and age. I may want Crossfire eventually as well, so the radio needs to have the multi built in so I can add the Crossfire to the expansion bay later. Sounds like Jumper T18 and Radiomaster TX16S seem to be the main choices? I know FrSky has been around a long time so I do like that brand if for nothing more. I do like the looks of the Horus 10 as well, but if it doesn't have the multi built in then when I add it I suddenly can't add Crossfire. Do any of the FrSky's have the multi-protocol built in or are all by using the module?

Thanks for all the tips.

- Joe

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah I've liked Spektrum for my planes, never had a radio issue with the DX9. Now that I'm messing with drones just finding a PPM receiver is impossible. So on my Pixhawk 4 Mini build I'm having to use a PPM encoder with a Spektrum receiver. Kinda sucks, it's a 250-sized frame so not huge and every little thing I'm adding is more weight. I bought one of those new mini SRXL2 drone receivers to use but I'm not seeing PX4 support for SRXL2 protocol. Ardupilot supports it, but for now I'm going with PX4. I may switch over if necessary.

I guess I'm gonna start researching a new transmitter, I definitely want that multi-protocol stuff, this being locked into one "family" sucks in this day and age. I may want Crossfire eventually as well, so the radio needs to have the multi built in so I can add the Crossfire to the expansion bay later. Sounds like Jumper T18 and Radiomaster TX16S seem to be the main choices? I know FrSky has been around a long time so I do like that brand if for nothing more. I do like the looks of the Horus 10 as well, but if it doesn't have the multi built in then when I add it I suddenly can't add Crossfire. Do any of the FrSky's have the multi-protocol built in or are all by using the module?

Thanks for all the tips.

- Joe
You should be able to use a Spektrum satellite receiver rather than ppm. (Spektrum/DSM or S.BUS receivers connect to the DSM/SBUS RC input) I have used the LemonRX equivalent with no issues. If you really want to use PPM, you could also use this LemonRX DSMX PPM RX. https://www.buddyrc.com/products/le...sty-antenna-receiver-1?variant=30274301722710

Like I have said above though, there is no telemetry support for Spektrum. I use FrSky with ArduPilot with FULL telemetry. I mostly use ArduPlane in my planes, and other firmware for drones. I do run ArduCopter with FrSky with a PixFalcon on a 650 heavy lift drone.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
When it comes to Quads Spektrum has always been behind the 8 ball there 4647T receiver is there latest with telemetry.